Hare Chasing

Guy's,

any advice on stopping a dog during a shoot from chasing Hares and Rabbits ?. Appreciate i need to stop him before he goes but it's not always possible in the beating line. He is also still pretty young , 22 months and full of beans and testosterone !!!!

Thanks,

Belly

Intensive training

A good gundog should sit and stay until instructed to retreive and respond to a recall or

whistle instantly

As you are aware there is no place for a loose dog on a shoot.

good luck , it may be easier than you think

Back to basics mate, training for steadiness and response to stop whistle imo. As said above a shoot is no place for a dog chasing ground game, you only need one over zealous gun and you're dog might end up in the firing line.

ATB Mick

I had this problem in my cockers first season. She was steady at the beginning but slowly started to push it, by the end of the season if you gave her an inch she would take a mile . I have spent all summer working on it and am happy to say this season so far it has not been a problem, she has watched rabbits/hares away so it is fixable but you need to be really consistant (and patient <_< ). First thing I started with was back down to basics, after a while you might notice the dog does in fact know these very well :ninja::diablo: so then move onto a rabbit pen. Some people overuse these and the dog just gets wise to it but if your dog is a serial chaser you will be able to get on top of him very quickly and get the message across in here :rtfm: . If he is straight away racing all over putting them up get him on the lead and walk around tapping them out, ensuring he sits when one breaks. If you can have him off the lead start with the same, walking him around at heel and making him sit when you tap one out. Finally move onto sitting him before you send him in cover for a flush and stopping him when he is successful - this might help to let him consider the situation as opposed to letting him run wild flushing one after the other. It really will start to sink in if you're consistent, once you are comfortable with him in there don't believe your work is done though. Difficult to advise when I don't know what level of chasing he's at haha and I am by no means an expert but this worked for me :good: atb

tri-tronics_classic-70-g3-exp_600-500x500.jpg

This does not replace the training you should do for a well manored gun dog. But for breaking him of chasing unwanted game, this should do it. Just take him where he'll find a hare to chase. As soon as he shows any inclination to chase, light him up. Assuming all your retrieving work is after the shot. He'll figure out what not to do, pretty easily.

ATB

back too basic training there mate afraid... get out with him on long line let him work in front of ya when rabbit and hares get up blow to stop him if he doesn't pull him back and start again. he needs to learn to stop on whistle regardless. or concequences could be bad eager gun or cross roads in front of a car etc etc. atb with this.

had the same problem with my cocker bitch [rip] so with me having an alotment i went and bought a giant rabbit put it in a run and took dog down every day 1st day she wanted to get at it but i took her by the scruff and chastised her within a fornight problem solved hope that helps mate

lONG LENGTH OF ELASTIC AND A RABBIT SKIN DUMMY.

cONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT SO YOU CAN TEACH HIM RIGHT FROM WRONG.

oF COURSE THE EASIEST WAY IS TO MAKE SURE HE IS STEADY BEFORE YOU TAKE HIM OUT, BUT YOUR PAST THAT.

gET HIM TO SIT, STAY THEN IF HE MOVES ONCE THE DUMMY IS LET GO, SIT HIM BACK IN THE EXACT SPOT AND REPEAT UNTILL HE KNOWS WHAT HE IS TO DO. tHEN SLOWLY PROGRESS TOWARDS GETTING HIM BACK OUT.

I realise I am typing in capitals but cant be arsed to write this agin.

ATB

FTB

use a training collar,although not all will agree, but they are very effective, btw stopping a dog from chasing is the only real use i have found for them,i had the same problem with my dog,simply when the dog begins to chase use the stop command and if the dog does not respond to this, give a blast on the collar,i found after 4 or 5 times the dog wouldnt chase at all.it has also instilled a better response to the stop command altogether.atb

ferret yourself some rabbits , keep them alive in the nets and box em , get home and make yourself an enclosed area and let the bunnys go , walk the dog round the pen to the heal with a lead and once the dog is calm let it off and keep it to heel and to sit whilst the bunnys run around , might sound a bit too much but should work , atb Jack.