Pheasant

The pheasants on my patch won't fly any more because their scared to get shot at, but as soon as they see you there off like roadrunner being pursued by wiley coyote, beep beep! :D

Time to get the trianers on Dark One....give em a run for thier money :laugh:

f**k running after them, thats why I bought a lurcher and joined the darkside :laugh:

and he cant run,hes to lanky, :laugh::tongue2::thumbs:

cheers symon

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aye, it's a funny old world. Wild british pheasants???   Went out today for an hour, dog put up well over 40 pheasants from a couple of permission fields i have where i can kill what i like, but me

Hi Nick.   There is nothing to say you cant take a pheasnt with an air rifle mate. Some frown upon it, and say they should be up before shooting them. But.....if they want to waddle about in front

there are enough challenges with air-rifle hunting its nice to get the odd bonus now and then

Are these birds a bit thick? i have a some on my permission, its so difficult not to give them a pellet between the eyes when they just waddle onto the field right in front of you when your sat in the trees and start feasting on the oil seed that has just been laid.

The permission holder has given me the go to take a few, but i could so easily walk away with 5-6 in less than an hour.

beautiful colored birds..........just not that clever bless em :laugh:

Regards

Dean

The pheasants on my patch won't fly any more because their scared to get shot at, but as soon as they see you there off like roadrunner being pursued by wiley coyote, beep beep! :D

Time to get the trianers on Dark One....give em a run for thier money :laugh:

f**k running after them, thats why I bought a lurcher and joined the darkside :laugh:

and he cant run,hes to lanky, :laugh::tongue2::thumbs:

cheers symon

You can talk beer belly :laugh::tongue2:

Are these birds a bit thick? i have a some on my permission, its so difficult not to give them a pellet between the eyes when they just waddle onto the field right in front of you when your sat in the trees and start feasting on the oil seed that has just been laid.

The permission holder has given me the go to take a few, but i could so easily walk away with 5-6 in less than an hour.

beautiful colored birds..........just not that clever bless em :laugh:

Regards

Dean

I can't see the first season game reared birds certainly ain't much sport Dean.. my garden is full of them even now which are easily aproached but not my scene taking somthing out with a air rifle that virtually stands infront of me. when I lived out Lincolnshire there was plenty of genuine wild Pheasants which was a different story, they seemed smaller than these game reared birds but also very flighty, you won't see these standing about when humans are in the vicinity.........

Jasp

When i was out with the shottie yesterday a Cock Pheasant strode right up to me about 6 feet as i was crouched next to a feeder trying to keep Dry,

No fear what so ever had to chase it away as it wouldn't stop calling as it wanted it's free grain from the feeder, not allowed to shoot them as i'm only

on that permission to control the Woodies & feral pigeon's, The farmer charges a fortune to syndicates to shoot the Pheasants but it's not really sporting

to Me as their really tame with no fear of Humans.

regards Daz :ninja:

Well I shoot them with shotguns to but there is even less skill involved in that, a well placed head shot is humane, Now it's in the freezer for Sunday, anybody else got pics?

My gun and kill

69ac5497.jpg

And a close up to prove the headshot,

bb3f740a.jpg

Sorry if I have offended anybody but I will be having a nice Sunday dinner ;)

Cheers Nick :no:

Ye less skill when they are on the ground you mean,not when they are 40 yds up doing 40 mph curling in the wind

i think this season and last season they have started breeding them with an american breed (blue back i think??) which makes them smaller, faster and more skitish by nature. i dont think its spread across the whole country yet but in time im sure it will. soon you will be able to easily tell the difference between a wild british pheasant and one bred for a shoot. if this were the case would it be ok to take the wild breed over the shoot breed?

p.s i dont see the harm in taking one or two every now and then as long as its done legaly. nice shot.

i think this season and last season they have started breeding them with an american breed (blue back i think??) which makes them smaller, faster and more skitish by nature. i dont think its spread across the whole country yet but in time im sure it will. soon you will be able to easily tell the difference between a wild british pheasant and one bred for a shoot. if this were the case would it be ok to take the wild breed over the shoot breed?

p.s i dont see the harm in taking one or two every now and then as long as its done legaly. nice shot.

Yes they've already started doing that at the shoot i pick up on. They dont want to shoot the wild ones so experienced keepers are there with binoculars and they shout to the guns what ones to shoot and what ones to leave.

Completely right lads I didnt way to upset anybody, we own the farm and all the land and there isn't and birds that are put out to shoot they are purely wild, they take as much stalking as any other game, i like shotgun shooting aswel and the only reason I shoot them with air rifles is because I go out shooting more with them and secondly I honestly think they taste better but that's probably just me

Cheers Nick

Nothing wrong with that at all mate! Well done. Im sorry but a pheasant is a bird that belongs to nobody as soon as it walks onto your permission and you have cleared it with the land owner there is nothing stopping you hunting them with air rifles

Steve

Nothing wrong with that at all mate! Well done. Im sorry but a pheasant is a bird that belongs to nobody as soon as it walks onto your permission and you have cleared it with the land owner there is nothing stopping you hunting them with air rifles

Steve

Legally yes.........there is a moral aspect thats been done to death on here.

Aye, it's a funny old world. Wild british pheasants???

Went out today for an hour, dog put up well over 40 pheasants from a couple of permission fields i have where i can kill what i like, but me not whacking them there landed me the rights to whack everything else on the 700 + acres next door, so often it's worth staying your hand. This time of year they are dumber than dumb, but as soon as a few shoot days have been done, the minuite they hear a voice, they run as fast as their little legs can carry them

Once upon a time when i was younger, and less respectful i went out for them with the air gun, and early season i would shoot more than i could carry, well into double figures with ease, mainly just for ferret food. But now i know the hard work involved in rearing and keeping the buggers so i would rather put the dog up their ass and send them home in a flutter.

• Like 2

Aye, it's a funny old world. Wild british pheasants???

Went out today for an hour, dog put up well over 40 pheasants from a couple of permission fields i have where i can kill what i like, but me not whacking them there landed me the rights to whack everything else on the 700 + acres next door, so often it's worth staying your hand. This time of year they are dumber than dumb, but as soon as a few shoot days have been done, the minuite they hear a voice, they run as fast as their little legs can carry them

Once upon a time when i was younger, and less respectful i went out for them with the air gun, and early season i would shoot more than i could carry, well into double figures with ease, mainly just for ferret food. But now i know the hard work involved in rearing and keeping the buggers so i would rather put the dog up their ass and send them home in a flutter.

And thats what its all about mate...a bit of respect. I suppose if you hate your neighbour and there the ones putting pheasants down then maybe folk will shoot them out of spite or jealousy. Getting on with your neighbour and working together to control vermin and such like then you can become very friendly and as you say could possibly lead to more permission and life long friendships..... :yes: Some folk will always be jerks!!!

• 3 weeks later...