ANOTHER DALES TRIP, watership down

by seeing both together that night it was plain to see wich was suited to that land.

i bred the poachers lamping bred dog to my old coursing bred bitch,, to get some duel purpose dogs,, well that was the idea,, not all of them have turned out what i hoped for,, mine certainly isnt . but thats breeding.

Just about sums things up does that Tomo? I have Venus's sister Swift and she is an absolute cracking bitch,steady as a rock,retrieves like a gundog,pace a plenty,day or night she ain't bad at all BUT i have ran her on similar terrain to this although not quite as bad and she done ok but the collie x Don just totally outgunned her,she ran as though she was on high heels lol..if the bunnies were in paddocks then she looked the bees knees..i'm sure we all strive for the ONE dog capable of doing it all and running on all types of land?..i've been in this game a long time and hand on heart i'm yet to see that one dog let alone own one :icon_redface: ..it's no good being an electrician and going to work with a saw is it?...tools for the job in hand is the way to succeed imo? ATB Andy.

Edited by poacherspocket22

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"The Happy Ferreter", I hope I'm wrong; but you sound like a tree hugging, bunny loving anti !! Why on earth question the lads about "taking so many " ?? I know these guys and they work their dogs AND

i take a lot of rabbits mainly cos i fecking love doing it, and testing the dog,,, as it happens they go to a zoo hole for £2.20 each, they take what i catch.... even if i didnt have this outlet, ide

My mediocre ugly dog does for me Whin matey..he suits the ground i hunt,no he probably wouldn't be worth a toss on the land you run but why should that bother me, you or anyone else come to that matte

Posted Images

heres a pic or 2 of venus catching a few on wide open flat land with very short grass

shes only a year old on these pics, she is however proberbly more suited to this land than some of the bits on the dales

datime pic of the land

264.jpg

same spot at night

DSCF1839.jpg

just over an hours work

DSCF1842.jpg

this permision i had over grantham way

DSCF1336.jpg

heres another , this was real fast land,,

lamping140108orston005.jpg

end of the night

lamping140108orston009.jpg

• Like 2

i havent kept a dairy for 2 years,,, so cant give you any new numbers........last time i kept a dairy i took about 2000 rabbits that season, but i couldnt tell you how many came from the dales, or how many each individual dog cought,, also some of that 2000 came from ferreting

i do know however, how many rabbits i have taken since the start of this month from the dales lamping.

thats 266, i have cought stuff local but i havent added that on. 266 is from just lamping the dales

i havent kept a dairy for 2 years,,, so cant give you any new numbers........last time i kept a dairy i took about 2000 rabbits that season, but i couldnt tell you how many came from the dales, or how many each individual dog cought,, also some of that 2000 came from ferreting

Thats alright mate, I was only looking for a rough figure. Thats good going, especially at £2.20 each! lol.

Something to aspire to.

£2.20 is good,,,,the down side is i have to give an invoice , so the tax man gets his cut.. also its 100 mile each way to the zoo,, so with diesel to get out lamping , and diesel to get to the zoo........i dowt theres feck all profit....its just handy i dont do a thing to the rabbits no skinning or gutting, just bang them in the freezer,, and of course doged bunnys never sell for much genraly

At least you're covering your expenses pal! Locally you just wouldnt get half the numbers you do in the dales, need a fast dog round this way. Do or die merchants are what make catches on this land as you know. Keep up the posts of the dales and your more local lamping (might make the rest of us feel a bit less inferior :laugh: )..

At least you're covering your expenses pal! Locally you just wouldnt get half the numbers you do in the dales, need a fast dog round this way. Do or die merchants are what make catches on this land as you know. Keep up the posts of the dales and your more local lamping (might make the rest of us feel a bit less inferior :laugh: )..

You can't catch what ain't there matey..just keep on doing what your doing and enjoy your mutts.ATB Andy. :thumbs: