ANOTHER DALES TRIP, watership down

I understand an the dogs are obviously doing the job they are bred for in that case. It would be frustrating not to be able to run other types of land IMO, an for that reason these type of dogs wouldn't suit most lurcher men that I know. You lads obviously take your rabbiting seriously it's just a shame use can't go anywhere else but the dales to enjoy them. Keep the good posts coming.

Fair point matey BUT i do more than just rabbiting lol..my mediocre mutt is more than capable of running on more than just the dales lol...he ain't bad at a days ferreting,can hunt and kill prolifically in dense woodland and can be sent into copses etc: at night and left to do his job..he's more than just a "dales" rabbiting dog and YES thats one of the dreaded hills Moll haha..like you say running a dog up and down them all night ain't as easy as some would make out? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"The Happy Ferreter", I hope I'm wrong; but you sound like a tree hugging, bunny loving anti !! Why on earth question the lads about "taking so many " ?? I know these guys and they work their dogs AND

i take a lot of rabbits mainly cos i fecking love doing it, and testing the dog,,, as it happens they go to a zoo hole for £2.20 each, they take what i catch.... even if i didnt have this outlet, ide

My mediocre ugly dog does for me Whin matey..he suits the ground i hunt,no he probably wouldn't be worth a toss on the land you run but why should that bother me, you or anyone else come to that matte

Posted Images

Guest PIKEYLAMPER

My mediocre ugly dog does for me Whin matey..he suits the ground i hunt,no he probably

wouldn't be worth a toss on the land you run b why should that bother me, you or anyone else come to that matter? Your's probably wouldn't tie my dogs shoe laces on ground that he excels

on either but so what? As long as they suit uthe owners then surely thats all that matters? All this "it can't catch here,wouldn't kill there" craic it's just utter pish? At the end of the day it's no good going to do a job without the correct tools is it not?...no different with running dogs

either..different land/work = different type/breed of dog? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

Even if it was the easiest ground in the world with the stupidest rabbits, those kind of numbers would take it out of any dog. Most dogs would have flagged at the 20-30 catch rate mark (not including the runs not resulting in a catch). Dog as good as this are not as common as people would like to think/brag. And if the land is anything like the place Tomo took me ferreting then it really is lethal!

Tomo, Andy, Jnr, just ignore the folk trying to put down a fantastic thread, it is very clear by

some of the comments they have never lamped to such a degree in their lives so cannot fathom what it is actually like :thumbs:

Would have to disagree Moll, don't be thinking that ther ain't other folk doin big bags, just because lads don't do write ups an put pictures up on open forums does NOT mean it's not happening. As I've said excellent read an I look forward to reading about your next walk out hope the injury heals sooner rather than later tomo horrible time of year to have a dog laid up.

My mediocre ugly dog does for me Whin matey..he suits the ground i hunt,no he probably

wouldn't be worth a toss on the land you run b why should that bother me, you or anyone else come to that matter? Your's probably wouldn't tie my dogs shoe laces on ground that he excels

on either but so what? As long as they suit uthe owners then surely thats all that matters? All this "it can't catch here,wouldn't kill there" craic it's just utter pish? At the end of the day it's no good going to do a job without the correct tools is it not?...no different with running dogs

either..different land/work = different type/breed of dog? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

Even if it was the easiest ground in the world with the stupidest rabbits, those kind of numbers would take it out of any dog. Most dogs would have flagged at the 20-30 catch rate mark (not including the runs not resulting in a catch). Dog as good as this are not as common as people would like to think/brag. And if the land is anything like the place Tomo took me ferreting then it really is lethal!

Tomo, Andy, Jnr, just ignore the folk trying to put down a fantastic thread, it is very clear by

some of the comments they have never lamped to such a degree in their lives so cannot fathom what it is actually like :thumbs:

Would have to disagree Moll, don't be thinking that ther ain't other folk doin big bags, just because lads don't do write ups an put pictures up on open forums does NOT mean it's not happening.

You read me wrong PL, i never said others are not :thumbs:

I understand an the dogs are obviously doing the job they are bred for in that case. It would be frustrating not to be able to run other types of land IMO, an for that reason these type of dogs wouldn't suit most lurcher men that I know. You lads obviously take your rabbiting seriously it's just a shame use can't go anywhere else but the dales to enjoy them. Keep the good posts coming.

Fair point matey BUT i do more than just rabbiting lol..my mediocre mutt is more than capable of running on more than just the dales lol...he ain't bad at a days ferreting,can hunt and kill prolifically in dense woodland and can be sent into copses etc: at night and left to do his job..he's more than just a "dales" rabbiting dog and YES thats one of the dreaded hills Moll haha..like you say running a dog up and down them all night ain't as easy as some would make out? ATB Andy. :thumbs:

Dogs that are putting that much game in the bag,no matter where your running are not mediocre :thumbs:

Shame people try to pull people/dogs down, these lads have good dogs and good land, which result in bloody good hauls.

I know how hard running rabbits on hill sides can be, and it is no easy task especially if they go down hill, you can kiss goodbye to the dog catching.

Nice job

• Like 1

The old green eyed moster rears it's ugly head once again.

I for one would give my right bollock (or left) for that don dog (or a pup out of him), that amount of game to go at, and that amount of bunnys hung on a gate come 3am.

In fact you could have both bollocks.

• Like 2

Well I went out last night with my young dog......ran about 8, caught 1. I, like most would love to have a night like tomo and his mates do., Plus, I've been to the dales (daytime) and even with plenty of rabbits, you still need a good, clever dog.

Makes me sick, would love to be able to get that amount in front of my dogs! Bloody good going by man and beast.

Ps If you ever want a southern old git to embarrass I’ll be along up from Devon, do they have central heating up there?

this post is exactly the point i was making p***y,,, the dog i was running that night was Not suited to that ground,, she is half coursing dog,, and is a lean sprinter,, she did ok , and without the injury would have got a few more,,, but by seeing both together that night it was plain to see wich was suited to that land.

i bred the poachers lamping bred dog to my old coursing bred bitch,, to get some duel purpose dogs,, well that was the idea,, not all of them have turned out what i hoped for,, mine certainly isnt . but thats breeding.

i do go other places rabbiting p***y , and other types of hunting,, but like you say not evrybody posts about those things. my bunny bashing is perfectly legal , permision ect all in writing and insured.