The best working cocker kennel in the uk?

i have been promising myself a cocker spaniel for almost a year now in a few months my quest will become serious. im looking for the most respected, consistent,and forward thinking breeder in the uk. Who is it ?where are they and why do you think they meet the criteria?

i am hoping my new pup will be a worker first and maybe go on to trial depending on how capable i can be.

There are hundreds of litters being bred and its always pot luck no matter the lineage, but i reckon a good dog is 70% breeding and 30% handling.

its a serious request and in time i will blog the pups progress.

regards

Keith

Top kennel at the moment in my opinion would be will clulee (poolgreen gundogs) producing top quality pups from tried and tested parents one of his stud dogs Argyll Warrior ( a hellish hunter himself ) as already sired two championship winners and endless FTCH and is renowned for producing hard hunting but biddable offspring get a pup by him and you won't go far wrong , good luck whichever way you go .

• Like 2

The big question will you get a pup from a top class kennel .? obviously the best bred cockers are in the greatest demand, so are very few and far between. The pups from these kennels, if from top class bitches are usually prebooked by top trialing men, and with a kennel trying to make a good name for itself thats where they go.

My advice would be to look for a nicely bred bitch , the bitch line is the most important, because anyone can use a champion on a mediocre bitch to buffer the pedigree. look for a dam whose dam is a FTW or Champion, put to a top class sire and whatever the breeding, you won't go far wrong.

Its helpful to remember that most of the top class modern pedigree's come from Wernffrwd(Cyril Gwynne), even Measyderwen , Mallowdale, and Timsgarry , so if you can get something out of a Wernffrwd bitch you won't gofarwrond

My brother has had his line for a long time, very well respected in the game, a VERY good keeper of dogs, his dogs go all over the country.

He has even been quoted one of the greatest most dedicated gamekeepers in the uk.

My father R.I.P. taught him the majority of starting off.

Dogs that apparently cant be trained were sent to my father to put right.

My brothers standards are very high, he has people from all over the world paying very large amounts to shoot for a few hours.

So his dogs have to be GOOD.

They are small things, mostly black.

And thats in the North East.

Go for someone who who knows the crack.

Best of luck, i can ask, if you want.

Openshaw and Whitehouse have some nice dogs. As askiro said, if you're not lucky enough to get hold of one of their dogs direct look for a bitch that has the lineage there and one that's put to a dog you like. If you're interested in progressing onto trialing go to a few trials and find a dog you like and ask about the breeding/whether they're planning any future litters.