Muntjac habits

Areas like the one Martin has posted tend to be favoured by muntjac, scrub land with blackthorn and thick hedges with good rough ground. We always found them to use the hedges as go betweens, we used to stalk one piece of ground and you would guarantee to see one up each hedgerow, and this was on headlands of large arable fields, some up to 100 acres in size.

Quite often see them in the middle of fields, but not huge fields, the biggest one being maybe 40 acres in size, just grass fields after being cut for hay/silage. Normally in these circumstances though the density of animals is quite high, could take you to a field now where there are 3 young bucks coming out each evening into the middle to feed.

What time do you want me there? :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for all the replies folks, keep em coming, very interesting :thumbs:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I shoot probably 20-30 muntjac a year not a lot by some standards and they still intrigue me, l do see them and have shot them well away from cover at all times of the day but like all deer it does de

Posted Images

post-5156-0-92236800-1317125105.jpg

In next door's back garden: I think I posted this before on here a while back. There's a pair which jump a wire fence and browse in the gardens early mornings and dusk. Haven't seen them for a while though: reckon they got spooked when one of their mates happened to be in the garden at the same time as the neighbour's lurcher!

They're definitely more spread out in Spring and Autumn when the bucks are roaming looking for females. Find them laid up in the most inappropriate places where they wouldn't normally be found: they're a bloody nuisance to be honest.

post-5156-0-92236800-1317125105.jpg

In next door's back garden: I think I posted this before on here a while back. There's a pair which jump a wire fence and browse in the gardens early mornings and dusk. Haven't seen them for a while though: reckon they got spooked when one of their mates happened to be in the garden at the same time as the neighbour's lurcher!

They're definitely more spread out in Spring and Autumn when the bucks are roaming looking for females. Find them laid up in the most inappropriate places where they wouldn't normally be found: they're a bloody nuisance to be honest.

Cracking photo Penny, pop the kettle on im on my way with my binos and camera :D

Areas like the one Martin has posted tend to be favoured by muntjac, scrub land with blackthorn and thick hedges with good rough ground. We always found them to use the hedges as go betweens, we used to stalk one piece of ground and you would guarantee to see one up each hedgerow, and this was on headlands of large arable fields, some up to 100 acres in size.

Quite often see them in the middle of fields, but not huge fields, the biggest one being maybe 40 acres in size, just grass fields after being cut for hay/silage. Normally in these circumstances though the density of animals is quite high, could take you to a field now where there are 3 young bucks coming out each evening into the middle to feed.

That's right Tommy,as the light fades on that land they then start to move into the open more,and it will always be easier to shoot Munties in ambush rather than stalking into them.Mind you there is a very heavy acorn crop this year and you will find them scoffing them up under the big old oaks getting some weight on for the winter.

Only seen them out in the open when there are large densities and I mean large, when you walk through a wood and see one every 10 minutes, or sometimes in summer when the cover is thick. Otherwise nipping from one bush to another.

Seen them occassionally on the lamp but its so quick as even in darkness round my way they stick to the bushes.

Caught one in a long net once that I bolted with ferrets in a blackberry bush, it was in the net for at least 6 secs.... :censored:

Yes mate, im certain deer can be shot on the lamp........

BASC dont seem to think so... :hmm:

http://www.basc.org....er-stalking.cfm

Under 'deer and the law'

That was a geniue mistake, i meant to say CAN'T be shot on the lamp.......

Yeh right! :tongue2::laugh:

I did think you had made a mistake but as I am a law abiding individual I couldnt bare the thought of somone breaking the law accidentally.... :angel:

:thumbs:

Yes mate, im certain deer can be shot on the lamp........

The only time deer can be shot is if you apply for a licence to do so,and they don't give them out willy nilly either,it is mainly for crop protection.I too get them in the garden regularly............

DSC_00130001.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

DSC_0048-2.jpg

A good Buck behind my brambles.........

DSC_0002-17.jpg

M

I have a relative who has a fruit farm beside them which backs onto their small holding.

Muntjac are always foraging around, great to see when your sitting in the garden having a beer, however we spent one week there sorting them out, I couldn't believe how many we ended up gralloching...like rats this way.

That's right Tommy,as the light fades on that land they then start to move into the open more,and it will always be easier to shoot Munties in ambush rather than stalking into them.Mind you there is a very heavy acorn crop this year and you will find them scoffing them up under the big old oaks getting some weight on for the winter.

there on the crab apples aswell both food sources mean the dont have to stray far from woodland to forrage.

I shoot probably 20-30 muntjac a year not a lot by some standards and they still intrigue me, l do see them and have shot them well away from cover at all times of the day but like all deer it does depend on the time of year, in woodland they are often active late mornings when other deer have couched up, in the evenings they often tend to move later after other species have made a move.

In my experience l find the mature bucks tend to hold a smaller territory and are more tolerant of younger bucks if there is a large local population, they are very tolerant of man and are often seen in my village at all times of the day.

It’s quite interesting to watch them when a doe is in season watching hormonal munties chasing about can be an eye opener, once l had 1 step on my foot completely oblivious to my presence love can be blind l suppose.

The best way to get to grips with these little beasts is from highseats, l probably account for at least 50% from them but they are a very worthy species to stalk they never tend to stand still unless they find something tasty.

It is true to say that in certain areas they are a pest in fact l have been offered £20 a head for every one shot on one of my permissions, they are here to stay and deserve the same respect that is and should be given to other species’ of deer.

Nice pics Martin you so lucky to get stuff like that in your garden.

• Like 1