START OF MEWS BUILD

shello

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well here goes with the start of our mews build. We're building on a sloped garden down to't river so obviously need to make sure it's built high enough up't garden not to get wet! Had to dig out a c

front section done now

yes but sorted em now billy cheers, have pinned each one top n bottom to make sure and like you and the joiner say they'll swell anyway so no probs later in week gonna get started on roof sections,

Posted Images

here's my homemade (as you can see) travel box

spot on shello :thumbs:.

I hope you don't mind me just mentioning the perch. alot of the box's these days are designed like yours with a single bar perch running from one side to the other, this does the job but if the bird decides to jump down either behind the perch or infront and then manages to go underneath the perch and back over its then formed a loop around the perch with the leash, on short journeys this is fine as from the time the bird is put in the box and removed is os only a small amount of time. if the bird is being travelled in the box for a larger amount of time there is always that chance the bird for one reason or another can drop down and go underneath amd back over, it could come of the perch through braking heavy or just a jumpy bird while in the box.

with all mine I stuck a blanking plate from the perch down to the bottom of the box, at least this way if the bird jumps down it can't wind up the leash round the perch from crawling underneath :thumbs:.

Just another one too which I did with mine but I suppose its not essential.. where the framing is around the inside top edges I covered it with astro turf, you don't have to use astro just somthing that will cushion the birds head if it jumps up while in the box, Don't laugh!!!! I also carpeted the inner roof of my box to protect the birds head or should I say soften the blow if one of the Gos's is a bit jumpy and keeps launching at the ceiling, astro or car rubber matting would have done the same trick :thumbs:....

atb Jasp

here's my homemade (as you can see) travel box

spot on shello :thumbs:.

I hope you don't mind me just mentioning the perch. alot of the box's these days are designed like yours with a single bar perch running from one side to the other, this does the job but if the bird decides to jump down either behind the perch or infront and then manages to go underneath the perch and back over its then formed a loop around the perch with the leash, on short journeys this is fine as from the time the bird is put in the box and removed is os only a small amount of time. if the bird is being travelled in the box for a larger amount of time there is always that chance the bird for one reason or another can drop down and go underneath amd back over, it could come of the perch through braking heavy or just a jumpy bird while in the box.

with all mine I stuck a blanking plate from the perch down to the bottom of the box, at least this way if the bird jumps down it can't wind up the leash round the perch from crawling underneath :thumbs:.

Just another one too which I did with mine but I suppose its not essential.. where the framing is around the inside top edges I covered it with astro turf, you don't have to use astro just somthing that will cushion the birds head if it jumps up while in the box, Don't laugh!!!! I also carpeted the inner roof of my box to protect the birds head or should I say soften the blow if one of the Gos's is a bit jumpy and keeps launching at the ceiling, astro or car rubber matting would have done the same trick :thumbs:....

atb Jasp

some great ideas like the blank plate

one with the perch,

shello just a pointer on ur box mate ,the box is designed to be a giant hood so having holes in the bottom its right but u want to make it so no light is getting in otherwise ur box is just a box and not a giant hood as its ment for mate,are you going to hood ur bird mate ?

been having some great chats on the phone with billy (saxonmaster) and he now understands the benifits first hand of not hooding his bird early on in the manning process .

immeeting up with him next week as im down that was and im going out with him ect

ps,bring your bird home in a cardboiard box mate not the wooden one and tape its tail up :thumbs:

Edited by grovsey

hi grovesy, yes mate i been told about the holes so the lower ones will be slightly covered from't inside but with a gap obviously for air to get in ha ha. as for't hooding i won't be doing during early stages but will ask further down the line whether it's worth doing mate,cheers. was going to collect the bird myself but at't moment having only 1 car is proving to be difficult for doing that so courier is looking likely (punch and judy steve has recommended a guy wh he's used before) so yes it'll be in a cardboard box mate

cheers

if i can give u some advice hood at the begining mate if u talk to billy ask him also what he thinks now cos he never hooded at the early stages it will make ur life so easy mate trust me ,jasper is a huge fan also of doing it at the beginging it that helps u out mate

if i can give u some advice hood at the begining mate if u talk to billy ask him also what he thinks now cos he never hooded at the early stages it will make ur life so easy mate trust me ,jasper is a huge fan also of doing it at the beginging it that helps u out mate

did you say you were seeing billy next week ??? you dont fancy picking shelllo bird up for him do you ,, surevyou could work out a price

good idea if grovesy's up for it i coud maybe meet him somewhere and pay him whatever we agree? just depends what he's doing after going to billy's! good idea but all sorted now anyway

cheers

Edited by shello

well got our bird today (Freya is her name), got her jessed up etc this morning thanks to my mates here and left til this afternoon, spent an hour with her mostly on the fist, she seems fairly settled but will see how we go tomorrow, need to thank steve (punch and judy) and billy (saxonmaster) also all the folks who gave me help on here and hopefully will give me more!

thanks to you all

cheers, here she is

post-65342-0-34458500-1320865424.jpg