START OF MEWS BUILD

shello

make sure you have half the roof open as alot make the mistake of completely coving it ,also make a hinged front so you can cover the bars up when the bird is in moult

you could always use that heay duty plastic strips u get in factorys to act as you doulbe door,when ur bird is bowed out you dont want any perch;s as it will bait to get to the highest point that why i said make them removeable so u can easly take them out when needed same as a wing if thats what u want .best tip is dont over complicate it

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well here goes with the start of our mews build. We're building on a sloped garden down to't river so obviously need to make sure it's built high enough up't garden not to get wet! Had to dig out a c

front section done now

yes but sorted em now billy cheers, have pinned each one top n bottom to make sure and like you and the joiner say they'll swell anyway so no probs later in week gonna get started on roof sections,

Posted Images

How essential is it to have part of the roof area open? I realise it's better but just how important is it as my mews is only 6ft deep so would 2ft of open area alont the full 10ft width be ok? If so is wire mesh the best thing?

thanks for the help/advice

Edited by shello

How essential is it to have part of the roof area open? I realise it's better but just how important is it as my mews is only 6ft deep so would 2ft of open area alont the full 10ft width be ok? If so is wire mesh the best thing?

thanks for the help/advice

i would use BOP netting mate :thumbs: got mine from knowls netting very cheap, wire will damage your bird if it flies into it and other animals like foxes can walk on it and worry your bird with the netting they wont and he will need an open area mate so he can weather or you will need to bow him in the garden mate when you dont fly him :thumbs:

you defo need a open bit ,, i know its diff but my breeding pens are 16ft lond and 10 ft wide at each end they are coverd 10ft by 4 ft so they have 8ft open, and have a perch in the open bit,, the bird use it a lot , and in down pours they love it.. dont be to worrid about it open ,, as long as the bird an get out of the draft if there is one ,, you will find when in the molt the bird will spend a lot of time in the open bit,i use knowles netting goggle it ,, i have it in the spar pen hand the ak pen as bounce netting its good

Edited by punch&judy

i remembered you both saying about leaving an area open at the top so was gonna do it, just wondered how vital it is. will goggle the netting, just need an idea for roost!

cheers lads

also mate it will let air flow through the mews better mate they can get really stuffy

the netting I use shello is the same stuff they use on the Landfill sites. it perfect for the birds as it won't harm them when they fly up at the roof like alot of young P/R Goshawks before being taken up.

Its good easy netting to work with, the stuff I used was 12ft wide by 52 metres long, it was handy as me and Millet slung it across the who section of over 70ft of aviaries :thumbs:

a couple of pictures before the partition was put up across the entire front, and one when finished before being sprayed with fence care...

post-251-0-83821900-1317154693.jpg

post-251-0-42341800-1317154734.jpg

post-251-0-46564300-1317154791.jpg

just a small bit then ha ha, nice one yea will defo get some of that netting, just had a look on knowles website,seems cheap enough

It was far from finished in them pictures, still needed food shoots, nest ledges and all the other cosmetics before they was the finished article, I still alter them now as and when I think its beneficial to do so :thumbs: ....

does anyone else use heaters/heat lamps for the mews in winter? gonna fit a tube heater either 2ft (80w) or 3ft (135w) both around the £25 mark, must be worth doing after last winter!!

Edited by shello

slowly buying stuff for when i get the bird, bought a bath yesterday, £6 large (60cm) plastic plant pot base from't local garden centre, bit cheaper than the things you see advertised specifically as 'hawk baths' and i'm sure it'll do't same job!

i said to get a bath from garden center , thats what i use,, i find if it has falconry in front of it folk ad £15 ha

you did steve and i took your advice, saved a few quid cheers :thumbs:

should have bought a few and put em on ebay ha ha