Dogs vision in the dark

The reason I ask is that during the summer and winter I take the dogs to a local beach which is some 8 miles long but being part of the estuary a lot of debris like tree trunks wash up and I was just wondering during the dark can they actually see them or is there a big risk that they would run straight into them?

The reason I ask is that during the summer and winter I take the dogs to a local beach which is some 8 miles long but being part of the estuary a lot of debris like tree trunks wash up and I was just wondering during the dark can they actually see them or is there a big risk that they would run straight into them?

i would say they can. but accidents do happen both day and night.

Edited by trigger2

My dog has better night vision and daytime vision than me...the amount of times she has run stuff off the slip without the lamp on and caught it (usually while i'm trying to remove my bollox from the barb wire fence or running away from cows).Sometimes makes me wonder who is the hunter.

In the good old days they didnt have lamps but had to use moonlight to run their quarry.

Got good nightvision I would say, was close to an accident last week when she was walking to heel, about to leave a field we had just been in, she set off flat out in the dark, when I flicked the lamp on it was something I didn't want her to run give her a good yell, and it was away through the hedge luckily. She's had a few rabs out of the beam and seen other dogs do the same.

Dogs can see a lot better than us, I always trust the dog...........if it gives a good pull on the slip in the dark, I just let him go and switch the lamp on after..........caught a lot of stuff like that :thumbs:

Work with your dog, they know a lot more than we do :yes:

Mine does he proved it tonight, on the way back to me after a slip he was onto another rabbit chased it for a couple of minutes right round to back of us, by the tine dad had got the lamp onto him he was right behind us inches from the rabbit ...