Patterdale breeding info required, pls?!!

Hi,

I've got a Patterdale Terrier, which is from Toddy & Nancy lines.

I want to breed off him, just so I can keep a pup for myself.

Does anyone know where the best place for me to look for a bitch, to pair him up with, is?

Or even where I can find a top quality bitch to buy?

Also, does his age make any difference in him being able to breed?!!!

Sorry, if these are simple questions, I've been looking through google, but can't find the info that I want, so thought I'd ask you lot !!!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If he has never been worked then I suggest, without being rude, to not breed from him. All you will be doing is contributing to the vast quantity of shite and poorly bred dogs out there. Breeding him

You can't compare breeding running dogs and humans with breeding earthdogs. It is not the same. You are comparing physical attributes with mental attributes.   Breeding untried parents just “coz of

am i right in saying your grandfather owned Toddy? if so and your dog is bred along similar lines i would bet money someone would take a chance because of the blood. not uncommon in pitbull circles t

You need to buy your own bitch mate no 1 will just let you put your dog over thers if a good terrier mans got a good bitch they will have their own stuff to put over it what they work day in day out sorry if it's a downer mate but you need your own stuff or close friends what have seen your dog work........ Bru

He's 9 now !!!! He's really well bread and been looked after though, and nobody thinks he looks older than 3 or 4 !!!!!

Yeah, my mate who sorted me out with him is looking into it, and asking around his mates, to see if anyone is interested, but to be honest - he's a busy man, so I thought I'd look into it myself - so save mithering him so much !!!!!

Where's the best place for me to buy a bitch? or at least to look(websites, etc) I'm thinking that will be the best route for me to take !!!

PS: No worries by the way, Bruen, would prefer to be shot down with the truth, than be kidding myself !!!! haha.

PPS: I've never worked him, I only like to come on these websites, as I used to go out with my Grandad when he used to work dogs, when I was younger.

He's 9 now !!!! He's really well bread and been looked after though, and nobody thinks he looks older than 3 or 4 !!!!!

Yeah, my mate who sorted me out with him is looking into it, and asking around his mates, to see if anyone is interested, but to be honest - he's a busy man, so I thought I'd look into it myself - so save mithering him so much !!!!!

Where's the best place for me to buy a bitch? or at least to look(websites, etc) I'm thinking that will be the best route for me to take !!!

PS: No worries by the way, Bruen, would prefer to be shot down with the truth, than be kidding myself !!!! haha.

PPS: I've never worked him, I only like to come on these websites, as I used to go out with my Grandad when he used to work dogs, when I was younger.

If he has never been worked then I suggest, without being rude, to not breed from him. All you will be doing is contributing to the vast quantity of shite and poorly bred dogs out there.

Breeding him 'to keep one for myself' if you have no other motive is selfish and unneccesarry, unless you are willing to cull the rest of the pups.

Breeding him to any bitch will not produce 'a clone of him' which is probably what you are looking for.

If you are after another terrier then buy one in from one of the many litters already out there. I am sure there will be people out there who will help you track down pups of similar breeding, myself included, if it means you will not breed off him.

If I were you I would get the idea of breeding him out of your head, he has nothing to contribute to the breed or the sport and has nothing to offer you that cannot be bought in with less expese and less hassle.

Just an honest opinion trying not to be rude.

I hope you take it on board.

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan
  • Like 6

If he has never been worked then I suggest, without being rude, to not breed from him. All you will be doing is contributing to the vast quantity of shite and poorly bred dogs out there.

Breeding him 'to keep one for myself' if you have no other motive is selfish and unneccesarry, unless you are willing to cull the rest of the pups.

Breeding him to any bitch will not produce 'a clone of him' which is probably what you are looking for.

If you are after another terrier then buy one in from one of the many litters already out there. I am sure there will be people out there who will help you track down pups of similar breeding, myself included, if it means you will not breed off him.

If I were you I would get the idea of breeding him out of your head, he has nothing to contribute to the breed or the sport and has nothing to offer you that cannot be bought in with less expese and less hassle.

Just an honest opinion trying not to be rude.

I hope you take it on board.

FTB

Ok mate, thanks for your reply - and taking the time out to write such a long reply.

Definately had a little bit of a reality check & change of heart.

And I'll probably leave it, and like you say - get another pup when the time is right !!!!

Slightly different area here then, why is it, that it's not a good idea to breed from a dog, if they've never worked?

Obviously, I'm un-educated on this, but I would have thought that physical attributes where more important, as appossed to working skills.

As wouldn't working experience be down to a dogs attitude !!!!!

and it would be more likely for the physical attridutes to be passed on than attitudes?!!!

PS: Both of my dogs parents where workers, both with really good reputations round my area !!!!

PPS: Just want to apologise in advance, if other more experienced people on here reading my simple questions, are getting fed up !!!! ha.

Ive never bred a litter but it goes without saying that you should breed for function over form.

Breeding for form and asthetics is exactly why pugs cant eat for themselves, king charles spaniels brains are to big for their skulls and boxer dogs have fits for pretty much all of their lives. The ridge on a rhodesian ridgeback is actually a genetic default which causes small holes from the skin directly into the spine (or something like that) but this is now the only reason they are bred for (in this country at least)

A very sad state of affairs.

The antis say working dogs is cruel, but how can that be so when we breed fit healthy dogs which are kept in tip top condition when people are breeding designer and mutant dogs for nothing other than looks.

Like FTB said, just buy a pup in from another litter, it saves you alot of hassel and also saves another litter of pups being bred for no reason :thumbs:

Well mucker, he could have been the best dog in the world....but if he was untried then don't bother breeding him,unless your going to rear all pups yourself until they the age to work and then if they don't make the mark then carry out the deed yourself!!!!

This just isn't feasible!!!!

I have dogs that are only 3-4yrs but look like they are 10-11 they are such well worked.....so don't be judging by looks neither, take advice constructively and think smart!