• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16 shotgun tim

shotgun tim

Mega Hunter

• Donator
  • 541 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 12:23 pm

it it legal take the dog some where quiet dig the hole before you get the dog from your car make a fuss of him then lay him to rest but please have the dog on a lead!!!!!!!!!! not a nice subject but your doing the right thing all the best!!!!! .22 is ample caliber imagine a line from 1 ear to is eye on the other side and same with the other then you have a cross on the top of its head

#17 Rake aboot

Rake aboot

Scruffy Bearded Hunter

• Donator
  • 8,540 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:48 am

Hey wireviz sad to hear about the old dog,,

You can do the deed yourself,, I wish I had the guts to do it bud ,, but I have a great vet who was very sympathetic and made it as easy as poss,,

If you do it yourself,, you will be counted as a proper bloke in my book mate!!,

Take the dog somewhere you can make it comfortable, and use a 22lr

ATB bud

#18 dymented

dymented

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 4,723 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:47 am

yes its legal but one of the hardest things to do to your own dog your better off getting some one else to do it for you mate

#19 Simoman

Simoman

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,539 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:30 pm

I agree and 9 times out of 10 its the most humane method, the dog has no time to get stressed or agitated BUT earlier this year I had to have my old boy PTS, and i couldn't do it with a gun, i chickened out, i called the vet to the house, they had to give him a muscle relaxant first as he was a little agitated, but after that he passed away fairly peacefully eating big chunks or cheese, i sat with him on the floor afterwards, just me and him and i buried him in the garden and shed a tear im not afraid to say............

#20 gnipper

gnipper

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 5,606 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:36 pm

If death is instant there should be no problem, but one thing to consider is that if you are shooting your own dog, you need to be very clinical and calm about it......could you be that detached, sure of your aim, etc etc??? Would you feel OK seeing the dead dog with a big hole in its head? (exit wound from shotgun a bit radical at very close range). It can be a bit of a shock even if you are used to shooting game etc.

Vets will come to an owner's home and put a dog down: of course they charge extra for the call out. I've not yet had a vet unable to find a vein, but I would never let an inexperienced vet near my dogs in any situation, let alone when putting a dog down.

All that matters IMO is that the dog's last moments are peaceful and not filled with fear.

Theres a VERY sobering story in 'Work them hard, treat them like heroes' when Harcombe put down his border Robbie. Relavent to what you have just said.

It was a difficult read that not long after i'd had my old border put down :cry:

#21 FightTheBan

FightTheBan

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 01:43 pm

I have had to do it a few times.
I had to do it to my first spaniel at the age of 17, who I grew up with and was not only a great wee worker but also like a friend. I cried like a wean whilst I was burying her and vowed to never get attatched to another dog :cray:

Hardest thing to do, but it is the ultimate respect to give your loyal companion.

Dogs are not stupid and they can tell when something is up, I.e dragging it through the door at the vets kicking and screaming.

Take the auld yin out to the field, have a moment together and do the deed. You will feel 100 times better for yourself.

All the best with whatever you decide.
It is not for the faint hearted.

FTB

#22 unlacedgecko

unlacedgecko

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:18 pm

As has been said it is the best way. I would reccommend using a 12 bore shotgun over a .22lr. They are both more than capable of doing the job, but the shotgun gives slightly more margin for error at a time when your shooting will not be at its best. A shotgun also avoids possible complications with FAC conditions.

I would reccommed giving the dog some exercise first and then placing it in a pre-dug hole. Put some food on the ground and give the command for the dog to eat. As he puts his head down aim smartly and fire. Do not hesitate as this will make the job 10 times harder. If you are in any doubt follow up with another shot. I'm sure most members will remember the case of 'Star' the cross breed from Malta. She was shot and buried but survived.

#23 Rabbit Hunter

Rabbit Hunter

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:22 pm

I can imagine it's a difficult thing to do, but would havto do it with a rifle...a shotgun would make a mess and I'm sure your trusty tyke deserves better than that. :victory:

#24 Malt

Malt

sheep bothering mod

• 24,970 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:28 pm

Dogs are not stupid and they can tell when something is up, I.e dragging it through the door at the vets kicking and screaming.

:yes: Our 16 year old Welsh springer had been suffering strokes, and the time had come for the poor bugger. He could hardly walk after the last one, but the poor old git knew where he was when we got out the car at the vet for the last time, and he'd never liked going there.. :(

#25 unlacedgecko

unlacedgecko

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 05:37 pm

I can imagine it's a difficult thing to do, but would havto do it with a rifle...a shotgun would make a mess and I'm sure your trusty tyke deserves better than that. http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/pub...

If the dog is dead he isn't going to care how much of a mess his head in. Surely its better to take be sure? I think the dog deserves better than to be horribly wounded by a misplaced shot? Not casting dispersions on anyone's shooting ability, but I know that if I was shooting my dog my hand would shake a little!
  • Born Hunter likes this

#26 Rabbit Hunter

Rabbit Hunter

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:15 pm

I mean from the view of the owner, I know I wouldn't want to see a dog that had worked hard for me all it's life with it's head blown off. IMO the best thing would be to take a mate and ask him to do the deed.

#27 Rabbithunter

Rabbithunter

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 4,026 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:45 pm

all i could say, is if you got "the balls" to do it, then do it. I know i couldnt do it to my own?

Like you say, far better than having to carry him off a surgeons table....

#28 ftm

ftm

Extreme Hunter

• Members
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 06:54 pm

took my border collie to the vets at the age of 17 he was petrified so i just told the vet i was sorry but he cant go like this .i done the deed at one of my permissions and there he rests .cried all way home i thought i wasa bit tougher than that but im not ashamed to admit it these animals become part of you lads im sure you will make the right desicion mate

#29 Ideation

Ideation

Jesus Like Hunter

• Members
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:17 pm

I'm not ashamed to admit i couldn't do it, especially not with a shotgun.

Vet to the house everytime.

#30 Cleanspade

Cleanspade

Extreme Hunter

• Donator
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 24 September 2011 - 07:25 pm

the vet to the house would be my choice. simply becouse it cuts all the shit out. including the massive stress. to oneself. god bless the auld fella. a very likeable dog.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users