101 on wheat stubble yesterday

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Not been on for a while as too busy working and shooting great isnt it.

We have alot of direct drilled crops this year which has helped out the shootin as no ploughing in of that lovely wheat stubble.

This wheat stubble has been undersown with OSR but plently of wheat for the birds to find.

Shot some with acorns and beechmast looks like it going to be a good winter for shooting.

And ferretting nearly underway the dogs have been getting fit lamping cant wait for them chilly nights.

All the best Cookie

pigeonshooting16thsept2011002.jpg

Well done nice productive day,that direct drilling is the dogs taters,everywhere I shoot does it,get more days out without the ploughing to contend with,did you use a rotary on the outing? Last year birds would avoid it when decoying but this year it's scary how its pulling them into the pattern from well far away.

Atb .223

Well done nice productive day,that direct drilling is the dogs taters,everywhere I shoot does it,get more days out without the ploughing to contend with,did you use a rotary on the outing? Last year birds would avoid it when decoying but this year it's scary how its pulling them into the pattern from well far away.

Atb .223

The rotarys are old hat IMHO now back to basics with good fieldcraft and deeks with floaters .

The bubbles well and truly burst on whirlys ,the birds are so so wary of rotary lets face it even woodies have twig that two birds going round in four foot circles is plain wrong.

Still there are days it works in winter on OSR or I think there perfect when birds are on acorns or beechmast setup under the hanger.

The birds are a diffrent breed to ones I was shooting at ten years ago but number are higher ,but the up side is that as they become harder to shoot the shooters who where are quick easy shooting along with greedy gudies are drifting away from the shooting of woodies .

Cheers Cookie

nice bag there again cookie.

Nick was saying he hasnt seen a bird in ages as you have all the birds on your permission next door.

i need to find a friendly ferreter to go out and help this year. quick sets are ready.haha

Yes all good this side of the thames alot of birds three of us are out sat we got three large old wheat stubbles all being hammered.

So finger cross I think we could break the 500 barrier between us I shot my first 200 of the season on one of the fields last sat .

And birds where pouring into the other two fields.

Will start with ferts next weekend as a hobby then for the first of novemeber to xmas have my full time contract of ferretting .

So happy days if the weather forecast is right for cold conditions.

All the best Cookie

• 2 weeks later...