Ah yes dd what was the score, and i think you lot had a bit more than a few beers,my pickup was like a karioke on the way home

great day i havnt laghed so much sober in ages

eerrrr, dont remember the score, 2-0, but then we make up for after dark, we were handicapped by daylight, he,he,

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i get 30 quid a day beating on one shoot i do but i do another shoot for free as its a close mate of mine -both shoots let me vermin shoot whenever i want but to be honest i just love the walk about and the patter most lads / lasses do it for the love of the country side in my opinion

hope i dont sound like a twat but what does beating invole i am really keen to go this year as it might secure me some more permission for my whippet and ferrets sensable replys please lads

I think if we were to explain you would think "why the feck do you lot do it then? You're all tapped!" lol. It's something you just have to experience to fully apreciate. Most keepers dont expect you to commit to the whole season if its your first time and likewise most keepers wont commit to having you for the full season untill you have done a day.

Theres alot of walking, standing around in the mud and wet and having a crack with the other beaters/keeper/guns(depending on the shoot) invovled. Its much more of a social event than the majority of field sports.

i have already been offered 2 places 1 is a small shoot and the other is a very big well known estate which would i be better going to ? cheers

Personally I would say the small shoot as they tend to be a bit more DIY and less of a social barrier between guns and beaters and the keepers are usually quite willing to reward their beaters with ferreting/pigeon shooting etc. Ive never been on a large commercial estate shoot so cant really comment. On these shoots there will be many more days in the season and pay is usually much better but remember on these shoots the keepers livelihood rely on a successfull shooting season. That said, I've also hand lamping and ferreting with friends through keepers/underkeepers on one of the most prestigeous shooting estates in the country. Once a keeper knows you're not an arse they are usually only too willing to let you ferret.

Edited by Born Hunter

Just my opinion, lads that have more to do with the big shoots might sway you towards them. Can't you have a days beating with each to see which you prefer? I've been on some real f*****g boring shoots (for a beater), some really impressive ones and some that are a good laugh. They differ a fair bit and can make your beating misserable or enjoyable.