thinking of getting a 17hmr

Myles,

Do you like your .22CZ? If so then get a CZ hmr from new, wont go wrong

Do you like your Redfield scope? I had a look through a 4-12x40 a few weeks back, nice scope, stick it on a hmr and get a cheap scope for your 22.

12-18xmag is more than enough for long range stuff. 'Tegater' on this forum has vid footage of him taking rabbits at over 250yds with a 3-9 scope with his CZ varmint.

There are a lot of CZ owners worldwide now and very few problems with the guns CZ make.

17hmr is a very hot dirty round and the barrel is small, so small that checking a 2nd hand one properly would need a bore camera. Me personally I wouldnt buy a used hmr for fear of it being abuse and not being able to evaluate it well enough, I certainly wouldnt trust and arms dealer to tell me if it was shooting poorly, they are gun dealers after all, you only have to look at the shit for sale at the CLA to see the depths some of them will go to to sell a safe but knackered gun.

Just buy new, I hear that the browning T bolt sporter is also a pretty handy lightweight rifle.

I can only comment on what I have, and what I have used.

I have the CZ 452 varmint, which I notice you have a .22 452. I personally think it is a fabulous little workhorse of a rifle, nicely balenced, and after spending £10 on a trigger kit, its the dogs nuts. Two of my mates also have .17hmr and between them they have Sako quad, and Anshutz, with the 14/15" barrel. I have shot them both and there is not a lot in it, apart from I like the feel of the CZ more but, that is probably because I use it everyday. With the heavy barrel, Its nice and solid if you understand what I mean.

The CZ is around the £400 mark depending on where and who you know, but the other 2 are quite a bit more.

I have a 3-9x40 scope which serves me well, but in hindsight I wish I had gone for greater magnification for the longer shots, possibly up to 18x.

I have a CZ 452 Varmint in HMR and I agree with Tegater, lovely rifle to shoot with when the trigger is adjusted with the simple, inexpensive trigger kit.

I have a 3-12x50 scope on mine and can't see the need for any more magnification for the majority of shooting situations.

It is also equipped with a SAK moderator, again cheap and cheerful but it works.

I have a .22LR Browning T-Bolt straight pull rifle which is also a pleasure to shoot with its 16" barrel and light weight. I would have a look at these also in HMR.

For a decent set up with rifle, scope and moderator I would imagine an average around £500.

Just bought a left handed cz american fitted with sac modererator, had an old air rifle sight that i fitted as a make do - though it may stay as works perfectly well and fitted a harris bi pod.

The complete set up cost me £620, £100 more than normal because of being a leftie.

Only sighted the gun at the mo, shot about 60 rounds but more than happy with it

Shotgunny, I have recently brought a new CZ 455 17 hmr 16 inch barrel, which has just replaced the 452 as the 455 has the adjustable trigger already fitted. I have got the laminated thumbhole stock with a heavy barrel. I use a Nikko Sterling 4x16x50 gameking and use the Hornady 17g VMAX rounds. I did initaily want a Synthetic stock but this was out of stock at Edgar Brothers the importers, so I got Thumbhole for £450 with a Mod and paid £70 for the scope. I am totaly satisfied with this setup and I am finding it difficult to miss at all ranges I have been hunting. I would recomend the 455 to anyone. Hope this helps SW-Shooter.

i have a cz 452 with trigger kit.very accurate.only ever been off zero after i cleanied it and did not wipe it out completely dry afterwards.only time i would not use it is in heavy cross wind due to light bullet and therefore drift comes into it.excelent little rifle and very accurate ,recoil next to nothing. atb.