Working Wheatons and Glens....

I was going to try them pure and crossed to a lake/patt dog I have that is 22lbs solid muscle and and very good natural drawer on jumbo coons. I also have some jagds in mind that would likely produce a good working cross for drawing yotes. I plan on seeing if they are just right the way they are or if they need a little downsizing. Still at square one on getting a good bred wheaton over here. Plenty of show dogs to pick from, but I'd rather cross a pitbull with a min-pin or puggle than use them. Most are scared of their own shadows. Spooky as hell around other dogs too. But finding work for them won't be hard.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no fellas, that wasn't me, a guy that has 70,000 acres to run out west got them last year. Most spotted above ground, then his curs/ stags draw them when he rolls up on them. He is wanting a dog or two to do this specifically and to use on yotes. I've been talking about denning coyotes for 2-3 years now, just haven't got the right dogs yet. My patts would be on a suicide mission, they would back down, even the rough mixers will take to much stick to survive.

He don't dig much at all. I plan on digging a bunch when I get dogs to pull a 30lb angry yote from the ground.....

This is a pic of it..

Buckhoe1.jpg

The 148 badger were taken off of 3500 acres of the 70,000 he says there must be over 1000 total on his property.. I am going over next month to help him w/ his problem.. If we cant find a Wheaton I will take a Black Mouth Cur to a tiny Game Pit then take them to a good sized Fell or Jagd... But like Rolly said why do all the mixing if there is a breed that will do what we want.. I would also like to invite anyone to come out here to Oregon with your dogs and hunt all the badger you can stand...

Christian J.

Edited by bluecollar

I'd say in the last 30 years the number of working wheatens was at it's smallest around 8 to 10 years ago. And then there was probably more good ones than now.

Why??? Because the men then bred to the standard that a working wheaten should be.

How many on here know what the standard is?

If all you want is a dog to finish at the end of a dig then I'd say you's have the best breed in the world over there in the states. And don't say that they're too quick to grab a terrier. And a wheaten wont?

But then the grass is always greener on the other side.

JMHO but there's those that should have wheatens and those that shouldn't.

With the wheaten it's certainly not a case of the bigger the gene pool the better the breed. It hasn't struggled 'till now.

Maybe I'm not qualified to make these remarks as I don't keep wheatens anymore but it's a breed I love.

On the subject of strong dogs lads, the fact is if the terrier your digging to is any good your quarry should only be in the lenght of a terriers body.

And thats a test for a strong dog????

Get a gun FFS or learn how to handle game.

Like I said theres those that know the standard and those that don't.

JMHO.

Edited by Neil Cooney.

Neil, my only real answer is, I don't know why a wheaton is the dog to go for. I figured a dog with lineage going back like they do, if bred right, by the right people, it would do better than a dog not bred for hunting, like the pit. I can get all the pits I want, and no doubt a wheaton could grab a little terrier, but I have no experience with either.

Shoot, for that matter of fact, if my big little dog, the 22lber, wasn't retired do to age and need as a quality stud dog, I'd just use him exclusively and cross him to a huge female jagd to get a 25-30lber.

Its all a guess right now. But nobody's done the coyote drawing before and I was hoping for a smaller dog, but bigger than the patts, to go underground and outright draw the coyote. Possibly crossing a 40lb wheaton bitch to a 22lb patt/lake male would hopefully churn out a dog to do this. Then the pure wheatons could be used as a finish dog at the end. Really, I could just as easily shoot the yote when it gets yanked above ground. This is something even pure hardcore traditional working wheaton guys won't be able to answer. If they can or can't, it needs to be tested. On the note of badgers though, "On the subject of strong dogs lads, the fact is if the terrier your digging to is any good your quarry should only be in the lenght of a terriers body. And thats a test for a strong dog????" I don't know Neil, you tell me. Isn't that pretty much what the old test was? I mean they did pretty much just have to draw a badger right? The fella in Oregon that got all those badgers was using 60lb dogs that could hardly fit their heads in a hole and did pretty good, so maybe a wheaton is a waste of time. I don't have the slightest clue.

"Get a gun FFS or learn to handle game" Not sure I follow on what this means.

Bluecollar, thanks for the pic and accurate info. I didn't remember exactly how many Duane had gotten or how much land he runs.

[quote I would also like to invite anyone to come out here to Oregon with your dogs and hunt all the badger you can stand...

Christian J.

I am probably going to take you up on that next year Christian. I got so much going on this year it won't happen. Keep Duane happy though so we got a place to hit up. I got a couple that could stand a REAL test around here.

Nate

Not a worry here for the most part. I had a guy come from Alaska 2 years back and his dogs had never been on coon before and got a little smashed. It's not even a worry here. I do all the doctoring myself, unless shock or severly injured. We hunted until 3 hours before the flight and he never got hassled.

Kye, depending on where you live, why not just drive? It takes a lot longer but if you ride with a couple people, you may actually save money.

For me, it's not the money, it's the time, and I have none of it right now....

BOOTS it's not an issue here mate...land of the free, and all that jazz...flying dogs to hunt in other states is very common, due to the nature of the land...the quarry here is abundant and plentiful IF you are in the right state...if your not, you need to be rich to dig terriers.

I dont know about driving mate!...we are in MO and gas is crazy exspensive, and i have little to no money at the moment, and a shit load of things to get done before winter...but we have the dogs that could/can dig them badgers...if the dogs get to them, ive no doubt we would be more than succesfull!... :victory:

Kye..

My offer stands for true for anyone to come and work Badger, there are just to many for me and my young dogs.. I may also be moving to Canada for a year after the summer so this is a limited time thing.. I may come back in the fall for a hunt as the furs are top quality by then and are about $100per pelt.. When I am in Canada I will be working Coyotes/Badger/Fox and would like to try one of these Wheatons...

Y.I.S.

Christian J.

Edited by bluecollar
Oh no fellas, that wasn't me, a guy that has 70,000 acres to run out west got them last year. Most spotted above ground, then his curs/ stags draw them when he rolls up on them. He is wanting a dog or two to do this specifically and to use on yotes. I've been talking about denning coyotes for 2-3 years now, just haven't got the right dogs yet. My patts would be on a suicide mission, they would back down, even the rough mixers will take to much stick to survive.

He don't dig much at all. I plan on digging a bunch when I get dogs to pull a 30lb angry yote from the ground.....

This is a pic of it..

Buckhoe1.jpg

The 148 badger were taken off of 3500 acres of the 70,000 he says there must be over 1000 total on his property.. I am going over next month to help him w/ his problem.. If we cant find a Wheaton I will take a Black Mouth Cur to a tiny Game Pit then take them to a good sized Fell or Jagd... But like Rolly said why do all the mixing if there is a breed that will do what we want.. I would also like to invite anyone to come out here to Oregon with your dogs and hunt all the badger you can stand...

Christian J.

Looks good Bluecollar,

and not a rambler in sight. :tongue2:

What's a rambler? (house)

someone who likes walking in the countryside,

normally have beards and glasses, imagine a university lecturer from the 1970's.

above goes for the women too.

partial to stopping and staring at anyone with a dog, gun or both

usually equipped with camera and notebook

normally have beards and glasses, imagine a university lecturer from the 1970's.

Ahh...got it. You won't find them where I hunt.....

above goes for the women too.

partial to stopping and staring at anyone with a dog, gun or both

usually equipped with camera and notebook

Its different here, it is his land as far as you can see.. Plus people keep to them selfs, or would stop to help.. Almost everyone I know in Eastern Oregon hunts every chance they get, it is the #1 pass time..

Christian J.