Working Wheatons and Glens....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ratkilla,

Most definately, hopefully a bred female or pair, but only a true working bred dog. Don't want any show shite. I plan on using them on coyotes and the big boy. We can work both year round and I have just as many ranchers who have coon problems as coyotes and badger, still very legal to hunt here.

Nate

Snizle06,

Do you know who got the dog over here? Not many even know about the wheatons over here, except for the show folks and puppy mills. Can't rightly see why anybody would want one from working stock if not for working ability. Seems like a waste if you don't use it for working something.....

Ratkilla,

Most definately, hopefully a bred female or pair, but only a true working bred dog. Don't want any show shite. I plan on using them on coyotes and the big boy. We can work both year round and I have just as many ranchers who have coon problems as coyotes and badger, still very legal to hunt here.

Nate

Good luck with your new venture mate .Hope you find the right stuff .

Good hunting .

Guest grubygrafter

seems to me that if the real working gene pool is as small as they say it would be a shame to send well bred working wheatens abroad better to home them close . no offence to the yanks but to many good lines lose there way becouse they are shipped out of reach :(

All im gonna say is there are some real good wheatens out there...and some guys that breed them are good working guys that would love to hear geniune lads in the states have a few and test them against Bobcat, Coyote, Badger (legal here) etc...and to be honest, thank f**k for them very generous, very good dog men!... :D:clapper: :whistle:

Kye,..

a mate years ago had a wheaton cross from ireland ,now if there so handy why are they rare for working , you would think they would be glad to keep ahandy all round dog for vermin , when he bred his litt i think it was with spring view cant mind a decde ago or more , i got a whaeton bitch pure was game and mad, of a freind who thought she could master it, a show and a obeidence woman , it done a few small dogs in ,killed a few squirrels that was the end of her i gave it to m c glenn he gave it to one of the guys who bred them and put pics in ed rd years ago, she was feisty

think i know the chap you you are on about paddy

my mate has a decent enough glen that is being held

for him. tough dog but i prefare the sharpness of the weaton.

he is a good friend of my mates and is a quiet and polite man.

you are right boots there is more chance of been given a good weaton pup

or for a small fee than paying big money some times to a dog dealer.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wheatenchris

I have working wheatens here, we have a male out of "mulben jacko" he is very game and works single on any quarry, if you want more info contact lisa.eastwood1@ntlworld.com my names chris. YIS

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Oh no fellas, that wasn't me, a guy that has 70,000 acres to run out west got them last year. Most spotted above ground, then his curs/ stags draw them when he rolls up on them. He is wanting a dog or two to do this specifically and to use on yotes. I've been talking about denning coyotes for 2-3 years now, just haven't got the right dogs yet. My patts would be on a suicide mission, they would back down, even the rough mixers will take to much stick to survive.

He don't dig much at all. I plan on digging a bunch when I get dogs to pull a 30lb angry yote from the ground.....