Started to build ladder trap

Well the farmer is quite fed up with all the crows now and they see my van and they are off.

There are far too many to shoot so I suggested building a big trap.

Happy days, made the ladder today and tomorrow will finish building the rest of it onsite as its 8'x 6'x6'.

gallery_50435_3704_2059920.jpg

Well the farmer is quite fed up with all the crows now and they see my van and they are off.

There are far too many to shoot so I suggested building a big trap.

Happy days, made the ladder today and tomorrow will finish building the rest of it onsite as its 8'x 6'x6'.

gallery_50435_3704_2059920.jpg

That's gonna be a nice trap. Put some more picks up when you have finished it.

Finally managed to get over to the farm now all that blody rain has gone, still extremely windy day thoug, something about a hurricane! :)

Well I found a fairly sheltered area and got stuck in to putting the whole thing together, lots of wood screws, loads of staples for the mesh and a heap of cable ties to hold it all together, as its easier to snip cable ties and move the whole thing in flat pack to a fresh site when needed.

Total cost of this was £123.00 in materials.

gallery_50435_3704_297003.jpg

gallery_50435_3704_1183836.jpg

gallery_50435_3704_608650.jpg

gallery_50435_3704_67212.jpg

Markha. This is a ladder trap I saw on an estate in scotland, some time ago and I found it quite interesting. The ladder or letterbox trap you have made is similar to ones used in the Peaks, but the one in the photo I liked more, although I have not had the time to make one yet.

As you can see it, it is a similar design, but the ladder is really quite low, and there is a stink pit below ground level, that deer and sheep carcases are put in. The idea is that, when the trap is moved, the pit is filled in.

You will also see, that there is a substantial amount of ground around the pit, for the decoy/call bird to walk on, along with a protective perch and food etc.

I will be making one for next year and hope to report on its success.

Because the height of the cage was low, as a result of the bait being subsurface, it was really hard to see the trap when sited in a suitable location.

post-51049-0-93553200-1316038044_thumb.jpg

There is a door but its hidden ;) to stop any tree huggers from trying to get in and release the birds. (they could however just lift one end up with a couple of people)

Dispatch will be swift and as humane as possible.

Tegater, thats a massive trap there and looks like a permanent fixture , I like the idea of a pit underneath as it does keep the trapped birds out of sight from the public, and as you say its a burial site after the trap is closed down. Very interesting.

There is a door but its hidden ;) to stop any tree huggers from trying to get in and release the birds. (they could however just lift one end up with a couple of people)

Dispatch will be swift and as humane as possible.

Tegater, thats a massive trap there and looks like a permanent fixture , I like the idea of a pit underneath as it does keep the trapped birds out of sight from the public, and as you say its a burial site after the trap is closed down. Very interesting.

Its not quite as tall as it looks, and the top angles arn't that steep. The trap itself is moveable in sections, and like the ones we use it is made from heavy duty timber, as otherwise the wind just wrecks them in days, up in the hills.

The other advantage I could see with this trap above, was that it attracted flocks of small birds, that were dropping in both through the ladder and directly through the wire, to get the maggots and beetles etc that were on the carcases. I would imagine that this may help the trap look not as sinister ,to any carrion/hoodies that were a little suspicious. Clearly in the winter, this would not happen.

In terms of protection for the call bird, there was a proper roosting box, with perch, to provide protection from the elements and obviously looks good to any third party walking past.

• Like 1

Forgive me for my ignorance as I'm new to all this trapping kaper. But what stops the birds from flying out threw the ladder again ??? Or is it just in there instinct to fly towards the high sides all the time ??? Good looking job you've done there, fair play to ya. Thanks......MUDD..

Forgive me for my ignorance as I'm new to all this trapping kaper. But what stops the birds from flying out threw the ladder again ??? Or is it just in there instinct to fly towards the high sides all the time ??? Good looking job you've done there, fair play to ya. Thanks......MUDD..

They just can't. There wings are wider than the bars or ladder, and they would have to fly upwards. They naturally want to fly to the top part of the cage, hence the angled top.