Classifying whippets for racing

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just leave it at that but i will never be at any of your game fairs again.

Lesley dumigan

• Like 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just le

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and no

Shane,   It was obvious to all of us involved in the Birr Fair that your club from the Chairman down to the little lads with their dog were all in it for the fun and their love of dogs and the sport

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just leave it at that but i will never be at any of your game fairs again.

Lesley dumigan

I would like to make it clear I did not call you unladylike - just one of your comments!

Liked your riposte over the greyhound!

Your choice whether you come to OUR fairs again - they are not MY fairs.

Albertj

Guest ladyjane

Wasn't at Birr for the racing so have no gripe about results etc, but I just want to calrify a few points: The whippet racing was advertised as a race for KC reg whippets, and a race for non KC reg whippets. A non KC reg whippet is a pure bred whippet without reg papers, not a non ped. A non ped is a purposely bred racing dog with a combination of whippet and greyhound. There is a difference, would a greyhound containing whippets in it's pedigree be allowed to race with greyhounds? If you are thinking of stopping the whippet racing Albert, just think back to Shanes, 5 heats of six dogs at £3 per entry??????? It's getting more popular all the time, organisers just need to decide how they police the cheats.

Janet

Perhaps our classification definition was not clear enough and/or you have inferred it meant something else but basically there were two race classifications 1. For KC Registered Whippets and 2 Unregistered whippets to include unregistered dogs and non pedigree. By simple definition a non KC registered whippet does not necessarily have a traceable pedigree. The organising club and I were quite clear about what we meant and that is why we felt Martin who raced without objection on the day was entitled to his prize.

I should make it clear that within the whole scheme of things at the fair whippets are a very small part of what we do AND represent mainly a cost centre for us as the organising club takes all entry fees . We have tried to recognise the growth in whippet interest by putting on extra show classes and the controversy in classifying whippets by trying to be as inclusive as possible. But I simply do not have the time or inclination to respond to people slagging off our events and organisers AFTER the event when they had a chance to make a complaint AT the event. We welcome positive suggestions but abhor silly abusive comments.

Albertj

Albert,

I wasn't slagging off your event nor did I include any silly or abusive comments. As a whippet breeder and owner of over 15 years it irritates me when people insist that a non pedigree racing bred dog is a whippet, there is a difference. As I said, I wasn't there on the Saturday, but I was there on the Sunday, and had a very enjoyable day. Each organising club that runs whippet racing is going to have different views on how to solve this problem, no-one has all the answers, but the reality of the situation is that it's only a couple of people spoiling the fun for everyone.

Janet

AJ You have said in this topic that only objections on the day with a £20 fee will be considered :yes: now cast your mind back to your topic after Shanes Castle where YOU asked what constituted a whippet? you were told in no uncertain manner if I recall

So once again controversy reigns over one of your events :hmm:

A KC whippet is produced from a mating from whippets having no other breeds in their background and both parents recorded on the KC registry and the litter registered :thumbs:

A non pedigree whippet is produced from unregistered whippets, the breeding may be known but not registered with t :thumbs:

One Final point why do they refer to greyhoundxwhippets as non ped whippets? Why not 2nd rate greyhounds? putting greyhound into a whippet will create an athlete capable of beating a KC whippet but not fast enough to beat greyhounds. equally lurchers wont beat a greyhound

Y.I.S Leeview :thumbs:

Edited by Leeview

My opinion is that Martin Tucker should have put his dog in the under 23" class. Based on his reasoning Rose and Diedre could have raced Diego, Zola, Paris and the Hellbound pup in the non ped whippet racing on saturday if they were racing.

Sorry, i know this is way of the original topic.

At the Roscrea Racing Events is it true that the person who signals to the lure driver stands at the side of the track when giving the signal to the lure driver or do they go behind the dogs?

had a great day at the show well done Albert J I raced my dog paddy in the ped whippet race class he came second given the choice I would enter him in to the ped whippet race class then the non ped as more times then not he would be beat by what some lads call a whippet that has hound in its background by puting him in the ped class Im puting the odds in his favour he has raced in non ped races and has made a good account of himself so hopefuly AJ you will keep the ped whippet racing in your shows

YIS

Mick Quinn

god wat a sick sick crowd....im the man who put the dogs into wat class now may i add ere not one of ye tat r crying about a [7 YEAR OLD DOG] tat won the racing HAVE said anythink about a little hairy dog r bitch tat ran in this class why is tat........also i ave being running avents for years nd any man r women tat is giveing out about marthin tucker running a dog same weight height seven year old for god sake ave a bit of cop on.. there was not many dogs there sat albert philip and i and club lads spoke about the racing few weeks befor the fair and we came up wit the classes we thought we were helping every body if people ave whippets wit no papers r ave not got the extra 100 as graham said to get them tats not r fault i put all the same dogs/bitches around the 29lbs to roughly 34lbs together to TRY keep everyone happy and no dog looked out of place except the hairy one that none of ye spoke about becos he didnt WIN...we ave never came across such silly talk in all r days is some of these dogs tat r non un reg whippets hade of ran wit the under 23s they would n stay 10 nlenghts of them anyone wit a bit of knowledge would know tat...also how do i know when someone comes up to me and says its a whippet wit no papers whos fault is tat some people want jam on both sides of there bread..if people keep going on like this to albert about this shit talk your going to see this a dying sport and knowone to blame only yourselfs..i didnt see one post tanking the man for the grate prizes tat were put up ect ect...to be honest i think from now on reg whippet class show papers if you dont ave papers under 23 and if u dont like tat dont run plain and simple....i think when u r trying to be helpfull friendly and put up good prizes the less tanks u get... :angry2:

Well folks its about time i said my piece lol wasnt going to bother but sure why not. I spent most of the racing day at birr near the starting line for the racing and entry for the racing must say i also thought the classes were going to be kc whippet and un reg whippet but at the line i heard of dogs being entered in "NON PED" classes which is why the eirne dog probably ended up in the race that he did.Even as the dogs lined up on the start line ernie and another dog which had a broken coat realy stood out from the rest but it seems there has been some confusion on the new classes and a little disorganisation on the behalf of the roscrea club about the difference in a non ped and an un reg whippet.In my opinion whippets should all run in a whippet race papers or no papers and we should have a proper non ped class for whippet type lurchers like parris ernie and other like dogs who are a lot smaller than the under 23 lurchers. Before every one jumps in with the negitive comments about cheaters still racing non peds as whippets we all go to the same shows and if someone repeatedly cheats if every one steps back from the start line and sticks together to stomp it out they will soon get sick of it.but all this bickering between ourselves is doing our sport no good at all. Glen Doc

Well folks its about time i said my piece lol wasnt going to bother but sure why not. I spent most of the racing day at birr near the starting line for the racing and entry for the racing must say i also thought the classes were going to be kc whippet and un reg whippet but at the line i heard of dogs being entered in "NON PED" classes which is why the eirne dog probably ended up in the race that he did.Even as the dogs lined up on the start line ernie and another dog which had a broken coat realy stood out from the rest but it seems there has been some confusion on the new classes and a little disorganisation on the behalf of the roscrea club about the difference in a non ped and an un reg whippet.In my opinion whippets should all run in a whippet race papers or no papers and we should have a proper non ped class for whippet type lurchers like parris ernie and other like dogs who are a lot smaller than the under 23 lurchers. Before every one jumps in with the negitive comments about cheaters still racing non peds as whippets we all go to the same shows and if someone repeatedly cheats if every one steps back from the start line and sticks together to stomp it out they will soon get sick of it.but all this bickering between ourselves is doing our sport no good at all. Glen Doc

i no wat a non ped is and un reg to be honest il put it in a nut shell dogs just not good enough and owners can not face up to it simple as for gog sake a seven year old dog u r talking about ere....we all want the bit of fun a craic not this shit and dont anyone else come on ere tell me hoe to run races..maybe some of the people doing the giving out r not even in a top class club like we ave

Wasn't at Birr for the racing so have no gripe about results etc, but I just want to calrify a few points: The whippet racing was advertised as a race for KC reg whippets, and a race for non KC reg whippets. A non KC reg whippet is a pure bred whippet without reg papers, not a non ped. A non ped is a purposely bred racing dog with a combination of whippet and greyhound. There is a difference, would a greyhound containing whippets in it's pedigree be allowed to race with greyhounds? If you are thinking of stopping the whippet racing Albert, just think back to Shanes, 5 heats of six dogs at £3 per entry??????? It's getting more popular all the time, organisers just need to decide how they police the cheats.

Janet

Perhaps our classification definition was not clear enough and/or you have inferred it meant something else but basically there were two race classifications 1. For KC Registered Whippets and 2 Unregistered whippets to include unregistered dogs and non pedigree. By simple definition a non KC registered whippet does not necessarily have a traceable pedigree. The organising club and I were quite clear about what we meant and that is why we felt Martin who raced without objection on the day was entitled to his prize.

I should make it clear that within the whole scheme of things at the fair whippets are a very small part of what we do AND represent mainly a cost centre for us as the organising club takes all entry fees . We have tried to recognise the growth in whippet interest by putting on extra show classes and the controversy in classifying whippets by trying to be as inclusive as possible. But I simply do not have the time or inclination to respond to people slagging off our events and organisers AFTER the event when they had a chance to make a complaint AT the event. We welcome positive suggestions but abhor silly abusive comments.

Albertj

Albert,

I wasn't slagging off your event nor did I include any silly or abusive comments. As a whippet breeder and owner of over 15 years it irritates me when people insist that a non pedigree racing bred dog is a whippet, there is a difference. As I said, I wasn't there on the Saturday, but I was there on the Sunday, and had a very enjoyable day. Each organising club that runs whippet racing is going to have different views on how to solve this problem, no-one has all the answers, but the reality of the situation is that it's only a couple of people spoiling the fun for everyone.

Janet

Janet,

Sorry I wasn't accusing you of silly or abusive comments - that was a general comment about some of the responses on this thread by people, some of whom also were not there. My point was that the excellent work carried out by the Roscrea guys in running the racing was being compromised by comments from people who weren't there,and/or made no complaint on the day. We cannot deal with matters retrospectively.

The racing was a success as was the overall event. We do not run KC events for 'pure bred' dogs eg the border terrier show class can include unregistered dogs who may have other ancestry. In effect for years and other shows have been running whippet racing for 'whippet type' dogs. The racing for KC registered dogs was a success and I think that classification in future is easy. But if someone produces a non KC registered dog - can you honestly say whether it is pure bred whippet and doesn't have some mixed ancestry - here we get into tighter and tighter decisions. I know as a whippet judge you can give an opinion but without DNA testing you cannot be definitive. One of the first 'golden retriever' winners of the championships included a deliberate labrador cross. I would think by height is the only answer.

i no wat a non ped is and un reg to be honest il put it in a nut shell dogs just not good enough and owners can not face up to it simple as for gog sake a seven year old dog u r talking about ere....we all want the bit of fun a craic not this shit and dont anyone else come on ere tell me hoe to run races..maybe some of the people doing the giving out r not even in a top class club like we ave

Shane,

My sincere congratulations to you and your club for running the racing in a manner that I have never seen bettered at any show. Philip, Irene, Lord and Lady Rosse and most of the true sporting owners were full of praise for the manner in which your very enthusiastic club not only conducted your event but helped out with the show. I am sorry that your and our efforts to be inclusive has resulted in this controversy over classifying the whippets on the day.

On a more positive note one owner who came second didn't realise he was to get a rosette and I know this is now sorted. But when helping organise this I though we should recognise the performances of those who came second in a slightly better fashion so if you contact the second placed owners in each final or they read this - we will give each an annual subscription to the Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine,

Albertj

AJ You have said in this topic that only objections on the day with a £20 fee will be considered :yes: now cast your mind back to your topic after Shanes Castle where YOU asked what constituted a whippet? you were told in no uncertain manner if I recall

So once again controversy reigns over one of your events :hmm:

A KC whippet is produced from a mating from whippets having no other breeds in their background and both parents recorded on the KC registry and the litter registered :thumbs:

A non pedigree whippet is produced from unregistered whippets, the breeding may be known but not registered with t :thumbs:

One Final point why do they refer to greyhoundxwhippets as non ped whippets? Why not 2nd rate greyhounds? putting greyhound into a whippet will create an athlete capable of beating a KC whippet but not fast enough to beat greyhounds. equally lurchers wont beat a greyhound

Y.I.S Leeview :thumbs:

Leeview,

The controversy has resulted largely because of comments by people who were not there or who didn't have the balls to speak up on the day. It is easy to be critical behind a mask of aof an alias but more difficult to put one's money were one's mouth is. This is the reason for the deposit for an objection- this is used in both racing and KC shows.

What is not in any way controversial is the fact that we ran three record breaking fairs at Ballywalter, Shanes and Birr with the best prize structures and the top events for terriers, lurchers and whippets. The Great Game Fairs of Ireland brand moved forward once again and of course is much more than what classifications terrier, whippet and lurcher people want to argue over. While we try to be as inclusive as possible and while I have tried to facilitate the obvious enthusiasm of terrier, lurcher and whippet owners our main task is to run successful fairs, which we do, I am stunned that our genuine attempt to facilitate KC reg ; non KC reg and other unregistered whippets should have generated such heat . As Shane said he tried to give everyone a bit of craic and has received criticism over a 7 yo dog winning a race for unregistered dogs. Did the owner of the second placed dog object on the day - no they did not!!

Shane,

My sincere congratulations to you and your club for running the racing in a manner that I have never seen bettered at any show. Philip, Irene, Lord and Lady Rosse and most of the true sporting owners were full of praise for the manner in which your very enthusiastic club not only conducted your event but helped out with the show. I am sorry that your and our efforts to be inclusive has resulted in this controversy over classifying the whippets on the day.

On a more positive note one owner who came second didn't realise he was to get a rosette and I know this is now sorted. But when helping organise this I though we should recognise the performances of those who came second in a slightly better fashion so if you contact the second placed owners in each final or they read this - we will give each an annual subscription to the Irish Countrysports and Country Life magazine,

Albertj

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and not one mentioned this dog WHY becos he were not a winner

• Like 1

Shane,

Albertj

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and not one mentioned this dog WHY becos he were not a winner

Shane,

It was obvious to all of us involved in the Birr Fair that your club from the Chairman down to the little lads with their dog were all in it for the fun and their love of dogs and the sport. This bickering is rather alien to me. I used to love running show bred dogs in tests and trials to see how well they could do and I love running my goldens against labradors. This is because I enjoy the challenge of proving something can be done rather than just the simple winning.

We will talk again about the whippet racing but the decision will be the club's and no one elses.

Albert

• Like 1