Classifying whippets for racing

The huge success of the Roscrea in running probably the best whippet, lurcher and terrier racing that I have seen is being compromised by the ongoing argument of what will be regarded as a whippet in our racing. Martin Tucker had offered to return his prize because of the controversy. I refused and sent him this reply- he can post his original mail to me if he wants to :

"Martin,

We decided to split the whippets into KC registered and non KC registered. My understanding of this split was to have definitively KC registered dogs separated from non registered and non pedigree whippets. As such your dog was qualified to run in this race AND no one objected to it at the time or at the prize distribution. Nor did anyone come forward afterwards under their own name to make a complaint. As far as I am concerned you raced legitimately and won legitimately and deserved your prize.

AlbertJ "

This remains my position and that of my colleagues. In future if anyone wishes to object to a dog racing in any of our races the procedure will be simple. You lodge a formal objection, AT THE TIME, or IMMEDIATELY AFTER the race, under your own name with a deposit of £20/€20. We will make a ruling on the objection and either disqualify the dog in question or confirm its placing/or fitness to run. In the former case your deposit will be returned - in the latter case it will be forfeit and given to an animal charity.

ALL OTHER COMPLAINTS, ESPECIALLY THOSE OF AN ANONYMOUS NATURE, WILL BE IGNORED.

The alternative, it would appear, is to not have whippet racing at our fairs any more.

Albertj

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

prob best you dont buy one because if you think martins dog is a non reg whippet then you would end up coming home with a greyhound .and i would be the first to say that im on lady like . Lets just le

thanks albert we love wat we do and injoy it as i said in one of my posts a little black hairy dog/bitch ran in the very same class and all the smart people come on ere blowing there mouths off and no

Shane,   It was obvious to all of us involved in the Birr Fair that your club from the Chairman down to the little lads with their dog were all in it for the fun and their love of dogs and the sport

Albert I found no problem on the day of the racing but i did not look over the dogs that were racing and i had no problem with who won the unreg whippet racing until Martin posted Ernies breeding on another tread which clearly states he has a lot of greyhound in his breeding and i then only said he should have raced him in the under 23" and was leaving it at that until he started to throw insults about ,some people will race small lurchers against whippets either because they think they have a whippet or they are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes and pass them off as whippets but to come on here after winning and gloat about him been a greyhound x will piss people off,anyone that did race a pure whippet against him was hard done by.no matter what enjoyed the weekend and you done a great job thanks again Lurcher 330 (Graham Brennan)

birr game fair race classes were kc whippets and non reg whippets his dog is a lurcher and you saying that he won his race fair is just wroung you can take your whippet raceing and stick it were the sun dont shine .

LESLEY DUMIGAN

owener of a non reg WHIPPET

birr game fair race classes were kc whippets and non reg whippets his dog is a lurcher and you saying that he won his race fair is just wroung you can take your whippet raceing and stick it were the sun dont shine .

LESLEY DUMIGAN

owener of a non reg WHIPPET

Lesley,

Most delicately put! As I have said the time to make a complaint is at the fair not afterwards. I did not say he won the race fairly what I said was that if he regarded his dog as a whippet , which he assured me he had purchased it as, AND NO ONE OBJECTED - I was not going to disqualify him or penalise him retrospectively.

If anyone wants to object in the future then I have indicated how and when it should be done.

Albertj

only complaint i had was you coming on here and saying he was right in what he did .Thinking aboutit maybe i should have went down to all the men at the start line and said somthing because that worked at shanes castle didnt it ? Thing is i stopped going to these shows seven years ago because humpty dumpty ( seamus erwin) told me that he could not care less if he did not see another lurcher and to me your starting to think the same about whippets.

Here`s his pedigree for all to see ! Intereseting to note that it appears on the `Non-Pedigree Whippet Database `

http://www.k9community.co.uk/cgi-bin/nonped/pedigree.pl?op=tree&index=2221&gens=5&db=nonped.dbw

I see his Great grandmother is a greyhound, however I disagree that his pedigree contains `a lot of greyhound` !

Like I said at the onset he is classed in the UK as a non-ped Whippet. Event organisers in Ireland, in the future will need to be more exact as to the conditions of entries as he was entered in a class that was for Non-ped Whippets and that is what he is classed as.

He was no bigger or heavier than those he ran against and certainly didn`t look out of place. If he had run in the Under 23` he would have appeared tiny and light and would have looked out of place and why would I run him in that when there was a class he was entitled to be in. This wasn`t an attempt to to cheat, he was put in the class that he was entitled to be in and thank you Albert for clarifying this.

The only solution is KC Whippet races and eveyone else in the Under 23` class. That`s the only way it stops the argument, which is tough for those with un-reg whippets, non-ped whippets, lurchers or what ever you own. There isn`t enough dogs over here to put them into the correct classes and the racing is a free-for-all up a field. Will never be in the same league as what goes on in the UK. Pity, buts that`s the way it will have to be, the fun goes out of it when there is so many arguments.

Guest Leanne23

ive never had a bad day at your gamefairs albert. ive always enjoyed them and had a great day out with family and freinds, but when it comes down to the racing we all want to race fair and enjoy it and know that on the day wee all raced againist are own bred and won/lost fairly. ernie is a well knowing dog here and everyone knows the breeding off this dog so they are right to be pissed off in haven to race there reg whippets against him. if it where me then i would have a race for all whippets pure bred only and a race for whippet/greyhounds under21 then have under23" and over23" and maybe if you thought u where going to have time you could have a rough coated race just a thought not trying to start are stir shit just my opinon. all this showing paper shit is causein more shit than its worth for you albert. showing papers is not a way to go for next year!.

leanne

Here`s his pedigree for all to see ! Intereseting to note that it appears on the `Non-Pedigree Whippet Database `

http://www.k9communi...5&db=nonped.dbw

I see his Great grandmother is a greyhound, however I disagree that his pedigree contains `a lot of greyhound` !

Like I said at the onset he is classed in the UK as a non-ped Whippet. Event organisers in Ireland, in the future will need to be more exact as to the conditions of entries as he was entered in a class that was for Non-ped Whippets and that is what he is classed as.

He was no bigger or heavier than those he ran against and certainly didn`t look out of place. If he had run in the Under 23` he would have appeared tiny and light and would have looked out of place and why would I run him in that when there was a class he was entitled to be in. This wasn`t an attempt to to cheat, he was put in the class that he was entitled to be in and thank you Albert for clarifying this.

The only solution is KC Whippet races and eveyone else in the Under 23` class. That`s the only way it stops the argument, which is tough for those with un-reg whippets, non-ped whippets, lurchers or what ever you own. There isn`t enough dogs over here to put them into the correct classes and the racing is a free-for-all up a field. Will never be in the same league as what goes on in the UK. Pity, buts that`s the way it will have to be, the fun goes out of it when there is so many arguments.

Martin,

Thanks for clarifying the position with your dog. We made a genuine attempt to be as inclusive as possible and still there are people who complain AFTER the event and who are so keen to do so that they don't even read what was actually said. Lesley D please do me the courtesy of reading and quoting what I actually said to Martin.

We have tried to facilitate the increased interest in whippets with extra show classes and an extra racing class. These all cost us money and in the whole scheme of of things I certainly don't feel like paying to be insulted!

I am going to put one further suggestion on classification i.e 1. KC registerd whippets and 2. un registered/ non ped whippets with a height limit - otherwise the dogs run as under 23" lurchers. This plus the right to object on the ground by registering a proper objection and deposit with the race organisers would appear to be the optimum way of dealing with this matter.

Albertj

Guest ladyjane

Wasn't at Birr for the racing so have no gripe about results etc, but I just want to calrify a few points: The whippet racing was advertised as a race for KC reg whippets, and a race for non KC reg whippets. A non KC reg whippet is a pure bred whippet without reg papers, not a non ped. A non ped is a purposely bred racing dog with a combination of whippet and greyhound. There is a difference, would a greyhound containing whippets in it's pedigree be allowed to race with greyhounds? If you are thinking of stopping the whippet racing Albert, just think back to Shanes, 5 heats of six dogs at £3 per entry??????? It's getting more popular all the time, organisers just need to decide how they police the cheats.

Janet

Last post on this i did read your post to martin and maybe if you read the classes which may i add you wrote you will find there was two classes for whippets not three there was no NON PED this is what martin thought he was racing in but infacted it was non reg ie fully whippet without papers . so maybe you could do me the courtesy of reading your own posts before coming on here and talking down to people .And when you do read your eariler post for the whippet class and see that there was no non ped class which martin thinks he raced in a sorry would be nice .

lesley dumigan

Wasn't at Birr for the racing so have no gripe about results etc, but I just want to calrify a few points: The whippet racing was advertised as a race for KC reg whippets, and a race for non KC reg whippets. A non KC reg whippet is a pure bred whippet without reg papers, not a non ped. A non ped is a purposely bred racing dog with a combination of whippet and greyhound. There is a difference, would a greyhound containing whippets in it's pedigree be allowed to race with greyhounds? If you are thinking of stopping the whippet racing Albert, just think back to Shanes, 5 heats of six dogs at £3 per entry??????? It's getting more popular all the time, organisers just need to decide how they police the cheats.

Janet

Perhaps our classification definition was not clear enough and/or you have inferred it meant something else but basically there were two race classifications 1. For KC Registered Whippets and 2 Unregistered whippets to include unregistered dogs and non pedigree. By simple definition a non KC registered whippet does not necessarily have a traceable pedigree. The organising club and I were quite clear about what we meant and that is why we felt Martin who raced without objection on the day was entitled to his prize.

I should make it clear that within the whole scheme of things at the fair whippets are a very small part of what we do AND represent mainly a cost centre for us as the organising club takes all entry fees . We have tried to recognise the growth in whippet interest by putting on extra show classes and the controversy in classifying whippets by trying to be as inclusive as possible. But I simply do not have the time or inclination to respond to people slagging off our events and organisers AFTER the event when they had a chance to make a complaint AT the event. We welcome positive suggestions but abhor silly abusive comments.

Albertj

Last post on this i did read your post to martin and maybe if you read the classes which may i add you wrote you will find there was two classes for whippets not three there was no NON PED this is what martin thought he was racing in but infacted it was non reg ie fully whippet without papers . so maybe you could do me the courtesy of reading your own posts before coming on here and talking down to people .And when you do read your eariler post for the whippet class and see that there was no non ped class which martin thinks he raced in a sorry would be nice .

lesley dumigan

Lesley,

I am afraid I am unable to follow your logic and if you felt I was 'talking down' to you I apologise. I should have just said I deplored your language as being most unladylike!

As you say there were two classifications KC Registered whippets and Non KC registered whippets. You may have inferred ( incorrectly) that this excluded non pedigree whippets but both the organising club and I took a different view - i.e all unregistered whippets fell into this class AND no one complained on the day - so it would appear that everyone there had a similar understanding. As such Martin was entitled to to race his dog as he considered it to be a non KC registered whippet.

I have indicated a possible way forward on this and in discussions with the organising club we will finalise OUR RULES for racing at OUR shows.It is up to whippet owners whether they choose to run or not.

PS. It is slightly ironic that we were thinking of buying a whippet!

Perhaps our classification definition was not clear enough and/or you have inferred it meant something else but basically there were two race classifications 1. For KC Registered Whippets and 2 Unregistered whippets to include unregistered dogs and non pedigree. By simple definition a non KC registered whippet does not necessarily have a traceable pedigree. The organising club and I were quite clear about what we meant and that is why we felt Martin who raced without objection on the day was entitled to his prize. Albert thats not fair on the people that have unreg whippets that maybe couldn't afford or weren't bothered paying an extra 100 or so for a dog to be registered ,there is a big difference between non reg and non ped whippets and more so when racing