Whats peoples thoughts on unmated jills.

The implant is apparently an excellent idea, it controls the hormones and still allows the hob to take the jill out of season, it only lasts for 2 years though, Nico r.Shoemaker has come up with a new implant thats being trialled in uk now, so far it has been welcomed but time will tell.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Having learned the hard way how Galling it is to lose a ferret to anemia, I can quite happily say I think you are wrong, and will stand by that as long as you like!   If you keep Jills, minmise the

Me for one,, I lost a wee jill years ago through staying in season, and developing anemia,, NEVER again,, felt like a twat for showing a lack of knowledge,, so I never risk it now,, snipped hob

I've had ferrets since about 1977, never used the jill jab, snipped hob or any other method mentioned in fact back then it wasn't even an option, I've always kept my cages clean, fed meat all year rou

i agree, if you leave your jill in season its cruel, it leads to the levels of oestrogen building up, causing progressive depression of the bone marrow. This can lead to the depression of all three cell types in the jills blood, causing lots of problems, it always ends in the jill dieing young. It leaves he jill open to infection and other fatal consequences.

cruel :hmm: ok give us a run down of the downside of the methods used to bring the jill out of season then :whistling:

Lol there is a downside to all things, firstly the implants do not last long, few years at the most, so this is a problem for most as you cant tell when it runs out and inexperienced owners might end up with a litter, when it does run out without realising it. Secondly theres the jill jab this firstly is used and created for dogs, the downside is its a chemical and pumping your little jill repeatedly with chemicals is not a recommended thing to do, as if you do want to breed her in the future it has been proved that there can be complications with the pregnancy, usually resulting in death of kits. Then there is also the problem the jill jab dosent last that long, your jill can be back in season within the month. So it costs you more money to get it done again. Thirdly you have castration of the hob, this is where you get a hobble, they are useless for taking jill out of season. The fourth method is vasectomisation, where your hob gets the snip, its the easiest method but is not 100 percent proven time and time again i have read and heard of hobs still producing young once they have had the snip from an incompetent vet.

You have to weigh up both the positives and the downsides to both arguments and decide on your own individual belief and opinion what is right for your ferret, i use the implant and get it replaced, a year and a half later, this covering the risk of it running out, i get it done for twenty pounds and so far my hob has been of good health, and he has fathered no litters for last 2 seasons, this is my personal option, it is low risk, and works for me.

I run a snipped hob with my jills but theres three older ones who dont come into season just go totally bald in april then the fur regrows in September and there fine . Still able for the odd days ferreting but not being in season doesnt bother them apart from there hair falling out

The implant is apparently an excellent idea, it controls the hormones and still allows the hob to take the jill out of season, it only lasts for 2 years though, Nico r.Shoemaker has come up with a new implant thats being trialled in uk now, so far it has been welcomed but time will tell.

DINGALING old member new name :thumbs:

Did you ever get the information from Nico R Shoemaker re Waardenbergs in UK ferrets? that you said he was publishing his findings?

You run a rescue :yes: so what is your interest in breeding? surely you get plenty handed in without having to breed them yourself?

When I reply its drawing from experience of over 50years of working ferrets NOT what I have read in someones paperwork or book

Y.I.S Leeview

im not an old member and i dont run a rescue, think you have the wrong person, and i have ten years experience, and believe theres always new things to learn. And thats not where i got the information, my friends a vet he told me of it and suggested it to myself and gave me a report on it.

im not an old member and i dont run a rescue, think you have the wrong person, and i have ten years experience, and believe theres always new things to learn. And thats not where i got the information, my friends a vet he told me of it and suggested it to myself and gave me a report on it.

OK then just pure coincidence with you mentioning NRS who happens to be American and doubt many other ferret owners would be familiar with his name :whistling:

I agree there is plenty to learn from experience not from reading others opinions :thumbs:

Your vet friend that suggested it and gave you a report based on what exactly?

Y.I.S Leeview

i don't mate my jills,just keep them well fed and clean(which basically means keep them just the same as always...)and have no problems,i know others who keep jills and do the same with no trouble,in fact some of these are the guys i learned most of my stuff from,it wasn't until i came to thl that i heard "leaving them in season will kill them" really,but each to his own i suppose...i just hope that newbies don't get confused by all the difference of opinion... :thumbs:

Edited by web22

the implant chemically castrates hobs so there basically incapable of covering a jill

Dunno what the hassle is,, get a snipped hob,, simple,, negates any risks from leaving them in season,,And there ARE risks,, regardless of whether certain folk have never experienced them or not.

Animal husbandry !!,, if there is a risk,, minimise it!

ATB

• Like 1