Night vision scopes ? what to look for

I have been looking at this set up on the bay item number 280734700297, the seller has indicated that as it is, it's good for distance up 30yrds, but with an extra infared filter lamp it would be good over more distance !

The whole idea of going onto night vision for me is to do away with a lamp, or have I picked up this info wrong !

I mate has a as new Yukon Nvrs-f which has done around 10 hours work looking for £350 onvo reason for selling is he don't like night shooting, link below to the unit.

http://www.digiworld4u.co.uk/yukon-nvrs-f-tactical-2-5x50-night-vision-63956.html

• 5 weeks later...

Ok so lets dip my oar into the water. See if I can muddy things some more.

2 ways to go. Dedicated or Addon. Dedicated means that you cannot use the scope in the day. So if you want to shoot during the day then you need to swap scopes and rezero. You are also tied to the magnification of the scope. mostly 2x or 4x. for your distances should be ok. However it is now winter-ish and certainly all my shooting is at night.

Addon. Pushes on to the eyepiece of the scope. Generally unless you are shooting off a bipod you will need to push your scope forward to allow for eye relief. This can then be a bit of a compromise as you may be neither setup for NV or day. My air rifle is used only for NV so it doesn't matter to me so I have it pushed all the way forward.

You will need a side paralax scope. (unless you are an orangutaun don't bother with front parallax)

You will also need a seperate ir unit, N1000 or similiar. Don't waste your time with IR filters on lamps, yes they work but you will be carrying a battery wires will get in the way, it is large etc etc. Trust me, Either buy the laser about £150 new or there is a led one for about £70 new. Again for the distances you are talking about either will be good. One of the advantages of the separate IR is that it is more powerful and has a seperate battery so will mean you can shoot longer. A separate IR source is a must in my opion, whichever way you went. Because you will be working in the green kingdom you will not always identify a lump. It could be a rabbit or a piece of muck. The IR will pick up eyeshine and help you aquire a target faster. You might not be able to identify it but you know it is there.

Certain scopes work well with NV others don't. loads of info on various forums but you may need to get a new scope.

There are plenty come up for sale secondhand on the forums. BBS has a particularly large NV section. My mate just bought a dedicated NV with led ir for under £280. So for a gen 1 you should be ok. for add ons, look at cobra merlin or pulsar challanger those are the 2 units that most seem to rate.

And you need to really know your land cos judging distance is a complete pile of pooh with NV.