new permission last night. then the police come

Because of the amount of tractors and other things that go missing, its a must here if you dont want the attention from the police, I have to ring the landowner before I set foot on the land, and then when someone rings farmwatch it saves getting a pull, the problem is that if they dont go through farm watch they normally ring the police, and as you know, they dont leave until they are satisfied with your pressence on the land your pulled on, it saves me time and pratting about to just ring the local police station to say I'm about, we have a lot of coursers and and the usual midnight farm yard scrap collectors knocking aboout, and this puts some real heat on us, so its just easier to give plod a bell, your lucky if you dont, believe me, and I've only had to do this in the last 18 months, before that I never bothered either.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly , more and more drivel gets posted on here ...........

Why would all that happen you've got air-rifles mun...........sometimes Mole I wonder if your actually for real.   ps don't get your missus to come on and tell me off.  

I never said I was a Police Officer, but I did work for the Police for 5 years after serving 27 years in the Army. I said my comments were from experiences I have had and the fact that I have shot for over 40 years and never once have I had a problem with Police being called out to me. I believe that it is each individual’s choice and if they feel it is needed fine, but it will not ensure that he or she will have an undisturbed shoot.

Fry, I am retired now buy the way.

whaaa retired at 51 you lucky bugger :icon_eek: wish i was :thumbs:

I actually retired at 49, yep I have to admit it is great, but my wife still works for the Police as an FME, so I look after the wee boy. Not a problem though as he is about to start the school so I will get a lot more shooting and fishing in now. LOL.

just googled FME "forensic medical examiner" :thumbs: good ole google! my youngest is 8 now. i suppose if you did get a tug you could just name drop your missis and it would be sorry to bother you mr blunderbus sir good luck with your shooting. which would not be the case with most of us on here so even though i wont be phoning in personally you can see why others have to. cheers fry.

hence why me n wor kid always create a log when we go out....

Darryl

Durham Police dont have a facility for this Darryl and when I asked what to do, they said ring the control room if you want, but it wont make a lot of difference,if someone puts a call in their obliged to respond! I asked if they were going to look into this and he said it was a good idea but they said they have no plans to implement it!.

Bit crazy if you ask me.

I always get a log when I shoot on Tyne and Wear.

Andy

Cant believe some off you lads phone the police everytime you go out...... :icon_eek: Has the police ever said "stop phoning us ffs".... :hmm:

If your going out a few nights a week, during the day and weekends you must never be of the fecking phone!! Its your permission so go and enjoy it, how many times do folk actually get stopped in a season anyway? If the police want to waste there time driving away out there for nothing then let them do so, whats a 2 minute stop when everything is above board?

The mind boggles... :blink:

• Like 1

What is the point of phoning them if they still turn out anyway? Police my way dont seem to find it a suprise, that people go shooting in rural areas. They will soon get fed up turning out to the same person shooting, on the same farms, on the same days or nights of the week!

What is the point of phoning them if they still turn out anyway? Police my way dont seem to find it a suprise, that people go shooting in rural areas. They will soon get fed up turning out to the same person shooting, on the same farms, on the same days or nights of the week!

the police down here dont seem to do much apart from harrass drivers and fly round in the helecopter looking through heat detecting cameras looking for weed growers they dont even show for burglarys just give you a crime number over the phone and ask if you want bloody trauma counceling ha ha they asked me if i wanted that when i reported a break in at our allotment site!! cracked me up :D

Charlie, when you are flying the kite you are not likely to be endangering the public to the extent that you can endanger the public with a rifle...

Youve obviously never seen me fly a kite moley :huh:

Seriously though, its not about legal requirement etc, et-bloody-cetera. i only call to let know plod know i'm 'out with a gun' of any description if i think joe public will see me and call it in. If I've called in first, it saves me, personally, time. Time having to talk to plod and time waiting for the place to settle down again after the visit.

Honestly though, I don't think i could do a job manning the police phones:

"There's a man in the field with a gun" says joe public.

"Best place for him surely?" I would be tempted to answer...

D

• Like 1

Mole, you are wrong about shotgun cartridges. Possession is categorically NOT an offence. Hence a shotgun certificate carries no requirement to record purchase of cartridges.

copied from 'Firearms Law, Guidance to the police':

iii) Shot Gun Cartridges

A Shot gun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shot gun cartridges containing five or more shot. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shot gun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession of a section 1 shot gun) is normally required to purchase shotgun cartridges.

There are of course exceptions to the requirement to hold an SGC to purchase. For example you can purchase shotgun cartridges at an approved clay ground without any form of ID or licence, and you are free to take any unused cartridges away with you.