new permission last night. then the police come

I was never one for phoning the police and saying i was going out ,in fact only one permission requires it and four times the armed responce have still turned up . But the last time we saw a police car following us "im thinking here we go again " when they pulled up "what are you up to tonight sir ?." Shooting rabbits job number 1234 " .Fine sir we didn't know they didn't tell us " and left all over in two to three minutes

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly , more and more drivel gets posted on here ...........

Why would all that happen you've got air-rifles mun...........sometimes Mole I wonder if your actually for real.   ps don't get your missus to come on and tell me off.  

Problem is that these days were all labled animal murderers and told hunting is out of date and guns should only be displayed in museums, and if you don't sort something out with the law and play ball you get your guns confiscated and tested, this can take up to six weeks in this neck of the woods, better to be known to the local plod than spend six weeks twiddling your thumbs, same with running dogs, they take them to the pound until they verifiy what your saying is true, and even with dogs it can take a week for them to get back to you, seems there's an easy way and a hard way to go about things ;)

may be the law down my way are just not so keen as they are up yours? or may be they are just busier down here dealing with the people in the town pissed up fighting and the like. will they really confiscate your rifle if you are on private property with written permission? i have never heard of any one in my neck of the woods having this happen.

Yes its common policy to confiscate airguns even if you have written permission and produce it, problem is that most plod dont know what they are looking at, last year some new lads started on the force over here and when they pulled me they had never seen an airgun with a 14 round mag before, so I had to collect my gun from the station the next day, lucky for me that had been pulled before and already gone through the process and my gun was already logged and they returned my gun that day, they no nothing about the laws on hunting with dogs, the last time I was pulled the copper said all hunting with dogs was blanket banned, so I had to appear at the stationt the next day, goes with out saying all charges were dropped, so it pays to put your face about where the police are concerned, other areas may be different, but midnight hare corsers are common here, and they make it hot for everyone :yes:

Same round here Stealthy, Norfolk, Cambs and Lincs gets people down from as far as Northumbria and the Borders to course for hares in case some of the non dog owners are not aware! There are also a lot of folk around now who have never even seen an air rifle, they do not know what is being used, to them it is some super sniper weapon lethal at over a kilometre and surely illegal. The police have to treat every reported firearms incident as if it was a real firearms incident, because if they do not, then the manure will hit the bulk air circulation device! The simple act of informing the police will ensure that they will check with you to make sure it is you who has been seen (assuming you carry a mobile phone). What the police will really take a dim view of is sending out the ARV units, helicopter and dog units to find it is some person with legal entitlement shooting rabbits. They may confiscate your weapon to check it is not overpowered, they may actually arrest you (if they are unsure as to the laws regarding air rifle use), what they will really take a dim view of is some know it all who actually does know more about the law than them telling them about the law regarding air rifle use. They will check you over, check the gun over, check any vehicle you have with you over, they will try and get a result for all the wasted resources that have been deployed...

It may not be the law to report when you are shooting, you may view it as infringing on your freedom. But with freedom comes certain responsibilities. If you cannot be responsible enough to prevent potential problems with the police, then you may find your freedom to shoot rather restricted...

sorry ive not replyed but have bin busy with thre harvesting . i hove told the local polices i then when to see the local game kepper today and explain that

i was shooting the pest on the 2 local farm .his reply was do you have time to do abit for me .so yer thanks for all your reply

Why the hell should you have to inform the police that you are going out on land where you have laweful authority to be? you would not ring plod to tell them you are going fishing or flying a kite would you?The more people that do this the more they play into plods hands and gives them more and more reason to interfere in our already over regulated lives and sooner or later lo an behold they will be making it obligitary to inform them every time you want to go out.I seem to remember I think it was leicster police introduced this scheme a while back, and BASC strongly opposed any notion of having to inform police before going shooting, the only exeption to this I can see is if you were shooting on land I.E.golf course ect in close proximity to housing or where the public are liable to be around then yes I can see the sense in ringing them, but not every time you want to go out. And as for the officer in the original post sound like from his comments he is anti shooting,he has no business saying if it was up to him he would ban it,well he is meant to be impartial,and had no grounds to start inspecting your truck after he found out you had laweful authority to be where you where,I would be tempted to write to the cheif constable and let him know about this officers comments and ask why when he was ther investigating a possible poaching offence did he deem it necessary to start inspecting your vehicle once it was established you were there with permission,bet you dont see him again after that.

Charlie, when you are flying the kite you are not likely to be endangering the public to the extent that you can endanger the public with a rifle. Furthermore, someone must have seen the OP to report them. It takes 5 damned minutes at the most, why go through the hassle of the OP if you can take 5 minutes out of your life just to extend the courtesy to inform the police that you will be wandering around some land with a rifle? Remember since the dawn of mobile phones people who are mobile can call the police, so that will now include bird watchers, dog walkers, ramblers and people who despise hunting. Best to make sure your presence is known.

As regards the truck inspection, it is obvious that our little friend in the politically correct uniform decided to try and have the OP for something, seeing as he had been forced to drive down roads without streetlights, full of horrible twisted hedges and trees that looked like monsters, into an area where he would have to clean his police car once he got it home. This can make them somewhat peevish, he is thinking to himself "If that man had rung in and got a reference number I could still be sat in McDonald's car park drinking cappuccinos and eating doughnuts like a real American cop!" So to make up for it he was determined to give something out for his troubles, something that would cost the OP money. You see once they are peeved they like to make other people peeved.

As for not seeing him again, I would not like to bet on it. He has probably got the maps out, is studying the boundaries and is trying to find out if it is legal for him to breathe in the woods, let alone fire! Keep them informed and they have no reason to bother you. Simple!

Edited by secretagentmole

Anybody that sees you can report you, please remember that you are not merely carrying an air weapon, you are carrying a firearm, people seeing you may report you as being armed and on private land! Not usually a good combination. So if your permission is overlooked by houses or has roads running through it then you know it makes sense. Just try and stop the problem from happening!

Edited by secretagentmole

The problem with plod is that they don't know much about fieldsports, as far as they are concerned we are all Raoul Moat's or poachers, another thing is that they have to check out reports of shooters or folk running dogs when its reported to them, I don't have a problem with the plod, they're fairly young lads with limited knowledge of our sport, and if they bump into some of the character's I know, then its no wonder collars are felt :laugh:

f**k that ringing police,,,,,if ur on permission theres only 1 person who needs 2 know

and thats the farmer.........

Quite agree mate, If what you are doing is lawful then it is none of their damn business,ok then lets forget kite flying,and look at other dangerous pastimes,I.E driving a car for instance,they have been known to kill a few people,but you dont ring plod and say im going for a blast in my subaru impreza and I will be travelling up the a whatever road now do you? no sorry but I think we have enough interference by the nanny state in our lives,without ringing the bloody law everytime you want to go for a quick walk round somewhere you have lawful authority to be.

The police now have the right to stop you, on th epublic road, to examine the vehicle and the driver you know, no reasonable grounds any more. They could be conducting tyre checks etc!

Why create problems? All it takes is one bunny hugger and your permission can be inundated by police officers looking for a man with a rifle!

f**k that ringing police,,,,,if ur on permission theres only 1 person who needs 2 know

and thats the farmer.........

thats my opinion too! as long as the farmer /landowner knows i dont care what plod says

• Like 1

Well if the police stop you, take the rifle away for testing, examine your car with the zeal of an MOT tester with a DVLA inspector standing there looking at him you know who to blame!

Well they can take my .243 for testing but they would be wasting their time,it makes 2000ftlbs all day long, and they have been able to stop your motor without a reason since the 90s,so the message there then is keep your motor legal?watched a program on telly last year I think, some guys down south culling deer on an estate lawfully 2 of which were serving police officers by the way,had plod turn up in the helicopter and about 10 armed response walking across the fields to them, well it transpired that they had notified plod before shooting, Fat lot of good that did them eh?no I will stand by my earlier comments,I dont inform them when I go out on my bike or any other pastime I may choose to follow so I damn well not going to tell them im going shooting :hmm:

Dont see what the issue is. I go out almost every day or night of the week, I never inform the cops, and I dont have to inform the landowner, he gives me free reign, as I do a vital job. (over 5000 acres) If I were to get stopped by the old bill, which I never have, I would show them a copy of my cert along with ID, and if that won't do, I will take it further. As I said previously, occupational hazard, not worth worrying about.

Probably easier to deal with though, with a rifle or shotgun, rather than lurcher/terrier or pellet gun. It doesnt make it right tho and I can understand some frustration.

Enjoy your game whatever it is, and chillax.