new permission last night. then the police come

The single best thing that could happen to "legal" airgunner's is that everyone of us informed the local plod where with what and when we were shooting. As it would show statistics that there are many more responsible shooters than irresponsible ones. Rather that signing on-line petitions every time a little chav b*****d shoots his mate or neighbours dog etc and the papers get the story and brand every airgun owner in the same way..They all go on statistics these day's so why don't we give then the real figures? If you done inform the plod you are either LAZY, STUPID or ILLEGAL.. maybe all three..

My life was potentially saved by me informing the police where I was when illegal poachers were firing 308 rifles into my permission while I was stalking some bunny's, I could hear the shots but dare not move incase I was shot. The farmer called the police just before I did, thinking I had gone shooting saying I was using an air rifle but instead firing a bloody centerfire. They called me as I left my mobile and asked what I was doing. I explained the situation and described how best to get to the illegal shooters and how to block them in. This they did and caught three twat's from Birmingham with a jeep full of guns and ammo. none of them had a FAC the jeep contained two gun's that were reported as stolen, one of which was a Theoben Rapid MK1 .22 air rifle. so in my personal experience the Police were fantastic.

I drive a highly tuned Nissan Silvia, my other expensive bloody hobby and the traffic police are usually twat's that think I am a boy racer and talk to me like a 17 year old who's just passed his test. This pisses me off no end but I show them I have declared all the mod's to my insurance and point out I have had a clean licence for 13 years and just happen to like fast cars. They always back down and it ends up with them leaving on a good note, and now the local plod give me the thumb's up father that blue lights and a speech. IMO the best result.

Is it really that hard? and rather than falling into the groove, it's basic behaviour of living in a society. of which we ALL benefit in some way just like the forum society who use mods to keep the peace so really we have no reason to be so anti police/mods etc. As I bet the people who say the police are twat's and have no other out look on them would be the first to call them if there car was stolen while out shooting! because they pay their taxes and it's their right!! or contact a mod about some twat taking money for goods advertised on the forum but not sending the goods.

We all have our gripes about the government and police and mods (AG BBS) etc, but just look at the countries like South Africa where the police/Government are corrupt and there is no law control and gun crime is so prolific no one knows who is good bad or indifferent would you like to live there?

Call my bluff and everyone call the plod and tell them of there shooting whereabouts and who they are etc. ask the local police super or firearms officer to keep a record at every station of the declaration of legal airgun shooters and there details for 12 months, then gather it all and see where the anti airgun brigade stand then! we have no excuse. If permission is so hard to get because someone already has it, then a massive percentage of the country's shooting applicable ground must have legal permissions granted. so the stat's should be there if we all can be arsed to do the sensible thing. Gun clubs Forum owners/mods could help by contacting the police forces.. But I suppose it's easier to sit at the laptop and moan like f**k..

I usually just browse the forums and keep quiet but today I feel I can have a bit of a say on this one. I have permission on thousands of acres across Cornwall and north Devon, and come across lot's of keen people who want to go shooting safely and professionally but are put off by the stigma of guns and their owners.

I have introduced five friends to the sport and got them their own permissions. I advise them to keep in touch with the police in their area and they are all still enjoying shooting with no hassles, especially from the plod.

Rant over.. be safe folk's and legal..lol

Maybe you should post a little more then perhaps some of your replies won't be so long winded and complete over-kill.

I was under the impression this was a free country and we SHOULDN'T have to inform the police that we're off out to perform LEGAL activities.

Just the reply I expected!! I would post more but I actually go hunting not just sit at a computer talking about it..Telling the police about your legal activities doesn't at all change anything about it been a free country! As I said it's been part of society, of which I put an example, which obviously made it a too longer read for you sorry. Been a free country I thought I could write as much as I wanted in a post. or is that against the rules of the free forum?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sadly , more and more drivel gets posted on here ...........

Why would all that happen you've got air-rifles mun...........sometimes Mole I wonder if your actually for real.   ps don't get your missus to come on and tell me off.  

The single best thing that could happen to "legal" airgunner's is that everyone of us informed the local plod where with what and when we were shooting. As it would show statistics that there are many more responsible shooters than irresponsible ones. Rather that signing on-line petitions every time a little chav b*****d shoots his mate or neighbours dog etc and the papers get the story and brand every airgun owner in the same way..They all go on statistics these day's so why don't we give then the real figures? If you done inform the plod you are either LAZY, STUPID or ILLEGAL.. maybe all three..

My life was potentially saved by me informing the police where I was when illegal poachers were firing 308 rifles into my permission while I was stalking some bunny's, I could hear the shots but dare not move incase I was shot. The farmer called the police just before I did, thinking I had gone shooting saying I was using an air rifle but instead firing a bloody centerfire. They called me as I left my mobile and asked what I was doing. I explained the situation and described how best to get to the illegal shooters and how to block them in. This they did and caught three twat's from Birmingham with a jeep full of guns and ammo. none of them had a FAC the jeep contained two gun's that were reported as stolen, one of which was a Theoben Rapid MK1 .22 air rifle. so in my personal experience the Police were fantastic.

I drive a highly tuned Nissan Silvia, my other expensive bloody hobby and the traffic police are usually twat's that think I am a boy racer and talk to me like a 17 year old who's just passed his test. This pisses me off no end but I show them I have declared all the mod's to my insurance and point out I have had a clean licence for 13 years and just happen to like fast cars. They always back down and it ends up with them leaving on a good note, and now the local plod give me the thumb's up father that blue lights and a speech. IMO the best result.

Is it really that hard? and rather than falling into the groove, it's basic behaviour of living in a society. of which we ALL benefit in some way just like the forum society who use mods to keep the peace so really we have no reason to be so anti police/mods etc. As I bet the people who say the police are twat's and have no other out look on them would be the first to call them if there car was stolen while out shooting! because they pay their taxes and it's their right!! or contact a mod about some twat taking money for goods advertised on the forum but not sending the goods.

We all have our gripes about the government and police and mods (AG BBS) etc, but just look at the countries like South Africa where the police/Government are corrupt and there is no law control and gun crime is so prolific no one knows who is good bad or indifferent would you like to live there?

Call my bluff and everyone call the plod and tell them of there shooting whereabouts and who they are etc. ask the local police super or firearms officer to keep a record at every station of the declaration of legal airgun shooters and there details for 12 months, then gather it all and see where the anti airgun brigade stand then! we have no excuse. If permission is so hard to get because someone already has it, then a massive percentage of the country's shooting applicable ground must have legal permissions granted. so the stat's should be there if we all can be arsed to do the sensible thing. Gun clubs Forum owners/mods could help by contacting the police forces.. But I suppose it's easier to sit at the laptop and moan like f**k..

I usually just browse the forums and keep quiet but today I feel I can have a bit of a say on this one. I have permission on thousands of acres across Cornwall and north Devon, and come across lot's of keen people who want to go shooting safely and professionally but are put off by the stigma of guns and their owners.

I have introduced five friends to the sport and got them their own permissions. I advise them to keep in touch with the police in their area and they are all still enjoying shooting with no hassles, especially from the plod.

Rant over.. be safe folk's and legal..lol

Maybe you should post a little more then perhaps some of your replies won't be so long winded and complete over-kill.

I was under the impression this was a free country and we SHOULDN'T have to inform the police that we're off out to perform LEGAL activities.

Just the reply I expected!! I would post more but I actually go hunting not just sit at a computer talking about it..Telling the police about your legal activities doesn't at all change anything about it been a free country! As I said it's been part of society, of which I put an example, which obviously made it a too longer read for you sorry. Been a free country I thought I could write as much as I wanted in a post. or is that against the rules of the free forum?

I actually go hunting aswell fella but if it hadn't escaped you its August...........you can post what you like mate but don't expect everybody to agree.

I just think its complete crap that in a already namby-pamby society we should tell the authorities what,where and when we're doing something COMPLETLEY LEGAL.

I agree it is a namby pamby society in many ways, but we are fighting an ever increasing amount of bad press this you must agree on? you SEEM to miss the point that if you are doing something legal you have nothing to hide so where is the problem? And the fact is can aid YOUR safety in the field, and safety is always first however you look at it. It's not about if you have to tell them, it's the point that it does no harm to do so and in fact that it could actually help our sport/job.

I'm not going to enter into one of those forum arguments about this, but rather than point out to me that not everyone will agree with me as I am capable of understanding that fact myself regardless of how much I post on here. But YOUR opinion in that it was over kill and too long winded really wasn't necessary, and seems to me that you just wish to provoke a argumentative reaction. I hope I am wrong I don't know you, if this is the wrong impression I apologise but my thread is factual and wouldn't look right in text talk to make it shorter.

I hope we can agree to disagree on this and move on to using the forums for the intended purpose. I bid you happy safe hunting in the future. Mark.

Edited by fasthands

I agree it is a namby pamby society in many ways, but we are fighting an ever increasing amount of bad press this you must agree on? you SEEM to miss the point that if you are doing something legal you have nothing to hide so where is the problem? And the fact is can aid YOUR safety in the field, and safety is always first however you look at it. It's not about if you have to tell them, it's the point that it does no harm to do so and in fact that it could actually help our sport/job.

I'm not going to enter into one of those forum arguments about this, but rather than point out to me that not everyone will agree with me as I am capable of understanding that fact myself regardless of how much I post on here. But YOUR opinion in that it was over kill and too long winded really wasn't necessary, and seems to me that you just wish to provoke a argumentative reaction. I hope I am wrong I don't know you, if this is the wrong impression I apologise but my thread is factual and wouldn't look right in text talk to make it shorter.

I hope we can agree to disagree on this and move on to using the forums for the intended purpose. I bid you happy safe hunting in the future. Mark.

I'm not trying to provoke an argument far from it............I've been hunting over 25 years and have never felt the need for safety reasons or anything else to contact the police and inform them of my intentions.

Yes I agree we're facing an increasing amount of bad press but that won't change what with the internet and such creating problems for us all,in fact it'll get worse regardless of whether we phone the police everytime we go out running our dogs/shooting/ferreting etc..... :thumbs:

god there are some melodramitic people on hear I am not one for informing the police about were when and what I am doing not because I am doing anything illegal but because I like to grab my air rifle and piss off out of the way of everybody some times I move from permission to permission some times I stay put and most times I dont know where I am going till I am there isnt that the best part of the sport going and doing it with out having to think about anything.

Ps the old bill get paid to do there job so they can bloody well do it without me ringing them and doing it for them if they want to come and check me out while I am shooting they can but they better be ready to walk and play hide and seek.

Ahh well i'l stick to just browsing then..is there any wonder... :rolleyes:

There's some people that just dont want to make things easy in life mate, there's those that you can help & those that you can't ! I agree with you 100% on this topic, some others are just to set in there ways, live & let live - happy hunting.

Some forum this is !

im working on this farm and they asked me if I knew someone to do pest control on their and their dads farms.

I replied yes me then we went for a drive about on monday to show me the boundaries and the do and don'ts

there is about 2000acres and last night when I went to do abit of shooting i got there about 7 and set the gun up went for a drive about 8:30

it was all going well shot 7 rabbits and 3 pigeons then i was on the way to go have a cuppa at the house at about 11pm just as i pulled out of the gate and the police come out of nowhere with blue light on so I got out to to see what they wanted he said you're taking game without permission .so I got the permission letter out and he laughed and said did you write that . I replied no you can check.He said don't you worry im going to .so off we went we got to the house to see tim out with his dogs the police aksed tim if he give me permission .he replied yes so that was that we get back to the truck then he sed just got to give your truck a look over so by this point i was well pissed but what can you do

You never phoned me saying you was going out loved to been there and seen that mate that you get a new gun or you still looking I be round to see you soon for a cuppa :thumbs:

i have never phoned the police either, but try and stay out of the general publics way and dont really get seen by anyone. maybe if i had permissions on a sports ground , garden centre or cemetary like some i would have to! but so far i have never had any grief off police or walkers and as i am not doing anything illegal i dont see the point. but this is just my opinion not looking for a pat on the back or an arguement.

and as stated by ulverstone moocher i have 3 one field permissions and 1 seven field permission all next door to each other and some times move across them all so cant really say where i will be! and to be honest i have insurance, permission and legal air rifles so i have done all i can ! i cant be doing with phoning plod every time i fancy putting a few rabbits in the bag and honestly did not know that other people did. learn something new all the time eh!

Problem is that these days were all labled animal murderers and told hunting is out of date and guns should only be displayed in museums, and if you don't sort something out with the law and play ball you get your guns confiscated and tested, this can take up to six weeks in this neck of the woods, better to be known to the local plod than spend six weeks twiddling your thumbs, same with running dogs, they take them to the pound until they verifiy what your saying is true, and even with dogs it can take a week for them to get back to you, seems there's an easy way and a hard way to go about things ;)

Problem is that these days were all labled animal murderers and told hunting is out of date and guns should only be displayed in museums, and if you don't sort something out with the law and play ball you get your guns confiscated and tested, this can take up to six weeks in this neck of the woods, better to be known to the local plod than spend six weeks twiddling your thumbs, same with running dogs, they take them to the pound until they verifiy what your saying is true, and even with dogs it can take a week for them to get back to you, seems there's an easy way and a hard way to go about things ;)

may be the law down my way are just not so keen as they are up yours? or may be they are just busier down here dealing with the people in the town pissed up fighting and the like. will they really confiscate your rifle if you are on private property with written permission? i have never heard of any one in my neck of the woods having this happen.

Moley, assuming your average plod knows one end of a shotgun cartridge from another is somewhat hopeful. Also it is not illegal for you to posess them. Thirdly, the explosive charge you worry so much about is actually extremely stable and no real risk. You would be safe to drop them in the nearest litter bin. Unconfined, even if they manage to smack the primer with sufficient force to ignite it (pretty unlikely) all you'll get is a bit of a pop, the shotgun relies on the chamber to direct the energy to propel the shot.

That said, if they're coming down anyway, it's a good way of getting rid of them if you don't want them. They'll probably end up in some locker at the nick for the next few years, then get chucked.

It is an offence for someone, who does not hold a relevant firearms or shotgun certificate to have in their possession ammunition for that sort of weaponry. Why the hell do you think you have to show a shotgun license to buy shotgun cartridges? Get caught with ammunition you do not have license to own and you can be in all sorts of crap with multi thousand pound fines, happened round here very recently (within the last week in fact)..

Who said we are in a policed state when you have to tell the police of your movements when doing legal activities.

Thanks all for falling into the groove on this, soon you will be calling them to go to Asda's.

I imagine that a police helicopter using and IR trained searchlight, several ARV units, including the 4x4 ARV, several police dogs, several policemen waving Heckler and Koch MP5 sub machine guns, or whatever they are armed with, would have severe detrimental effects on the permission for hours, I also have no wishes to breakdance by taser or be locked up for hours as they try to track down the permission holders, who at the moment are busy harvesting...

:icon_eek:

Why would all that happen you've got air-rifles mun...........sometimes Mole I wonder if your actually for real.

ps don't get your missus to come on and tell me off.

:laugh:

Who said we are in a policed state when you have to tell the police of your movements when doing legal activities.

Thanks all for falling into the groove on this, soon you will be calling them to go to Asda's.

I imagine that a police helicopter using and IR trained searchlight, several ARV units, including the 4x4 ARV, several police dogs, several policemen waving Heckler and Koch MP5 sub machine guns, or whatever they are armed with, would have severe detrimental effects on the permission for hours, I also have no wishes to breakdance by taser or be locked up for hours as they try to track down the permission holders, who at the moment are busy harvesting...

If they are stupid enough to use all that on someone using an airrifle or even poaching then they deserved to have their time wasted.

If they can use all that hardware and resources for that how come they couldn't stop the riots?

To the above pair, I am on a permission with an air rifle, seen by someone who does not know a Gat gun from a Gatling gun. All they can see is a person with a rifle. They phone up the police. Where one of my permissions is is under 2 miles from 2 schools, a childrens pre school day care centre, a busy village centre, how do you think the police will respond? Anybody here remember a little incident called Dunblane? They will send ARVs round to investigate, if it happens during term time, they will in all probability launch the helicopter to identify the threat as well. So I phone in to stop problems.

Edited by secretagentmole