bike dog leads

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I looked at getting one of these, then I noticed the words "absorbs the shock of slight pulling, " I don't think it means full on lunges when the dog sees a rabbit crossing the road! I still think that mine would have the bike over when they saw a rabbit on one of those Walky dog attachments.

That's the exact one i have :D

It does absorb the shock of my dog lunging or attempting to change direction, barely noticable as the springs do thier job. My dog is 37llb & 23tts, i used to just have her on the lead and twice she nearly had me off because the leash pulled tight and made me wobble so the Walkedog thing is definately a lot better. It also is adjustable to different size/weight dogs by adding or removing the springs.

I'm only just 9 stone and have no probs with my dog running on this and would even be comfortable with a slightly bigger/stronger dog.

Oh and the dog soon learns to keep a precise distance from the bike and keep the pace going, i'm glad i bought it as i feel much more in control on the bike. Very easy to fit/remove when needed. I got mine from Pets at Home so if you have one local you could pop in and have a look at it first :thumbs:

Hi, I am one of those wierd people that enjoy long distance running. If am running with the dog on the roads I use an elastic lead I got from the "CANI-X" people, I sometimes use it with an "x" type harness like the husky types use for pulling, the whole kit was a shocking price but it does seem quite rubust, My dog must be nearly seventy pounds and if a deer or cat crosses the road I can be in for a "wild ride"! The kit has never broken yet. I rarly use the harness as my dog does not ordinarily pull, she infuriatingly trots by my side for miles, even when I could do with a hand up the hills. But the elastic lead is a life saver if one of you stops sudenly or the deer in the road senario.

Hope thats was informative.

Cheers

Shazza: that's useful info from someone who has tried it out. I must admit I was very doubtful about staying upright if the dog lunged, but you've reassured me: and I'm only just 9 stone wringing wet :laugh: I might give it a go: gotta be safer than having the handlebars yanked about!

Shazza: that's useful info from someone who has tried it out. I must admit I was very doubtful about staying upright if the dog lunged, but you've reassured me: and I'm only just 9 stone wringing wet :laugh: I might give it a go: gotta be safer than having the handlebars yanked about!

Yeah thats me, 9 stone wringing wet & wearing full winter clothes :icon_redface::laugh: Thought i would add to the mental image as i aint big and i aint strong but i had an even bigger & very skittish dog of about 55-60lbs on this bike thing and even he couldn't pull me off it, you could feel his extra strength but not enough to wobble the bike or risk me losing control.

Don't know anything about velcro straps,the one i have i bought about 5 years ago from PAH and the dog tie part is a double nylon cord, very tough and has a regular metal lead clip on the end. The springs are contained in the bar and the end unscrews so you can remove springs to lengthen the cord for smaller/less powerful dogs :thumbs:

I have the walkydog one and do upto 8 miles each day with two or three Borders at a time. I think its excellent, Im not keen on the other types personally. This one is adjustable and its easy to to replace the cord etc..

We have the WalkyDog one and a 27Kg prey-drivey bull-cross - he hasn't managed to pull either of us over yet! The worst thing that's happened is a sudden stop when a rabbit was sitting, literally, in the road, and he made a grab for it. Everything just stopped very suddenly but nobody fell off and nothing got bent or broken (the rabbit got away though!). The construction of the WalkyDog makes it virtually impossible for the dog to get across the bike, if you see what I mean - ours can't get to the "wrong" side.

We've found that it's best to avoid biking during early mornings and the evenings, though, because, well, why look for trouble when he's got his hunting head on... It limits biking to days that are cool enough, in the summer, but that's not been much of a problem. We also keep up a fairly steady pace - too slow and he starts looking around him and loses concentration, looking for mischief to get into. About 8mph - 10mph is ideal for a steady trot for ours, with the odd faster sprint (which he seems to enjoy).