Best 12 bore cartridge for pheasant

• 5 weeks later...

i shoot a 20b o/u and a sem- auto, i only ever use Eley CT 28g size 6 for everythink and they are more than capable, lately i have been thinking of going to a size 7 shot as the 6's some times cause to much damage if at a close range, cheers all HH

Using a 20 bore i use high pheasant 25g 6s for all my days ,partridge /pheasant and had no bother . my mate who also shoots with a 20 bore uses classic 23g 6s in his s/s and never had a problem with those at all ranges ,just wondering with so many heavy loads and the short distances mentioned if many of the birds are any good for the pot :thumbs:

sorry just realised ,the question was about 12 bore

Edited by pipcock
  • 2 weeks later...

Well:

I have 2 guns I use for game shooting, both Winchester's, one is an O/U 12G Pigeon Grade Skeet, the other is a 12G S/S Model 23 Pigeon Grade, both are fixed choke.

I have used both for over 25 years, and the 'best' cartridge for me is a No 5 Shot 32gr Felt Wad of some description, I use LyleVale at he moment as that's what my local

supplier (Dave Dingle/Cart Ridge in south Cornwall) has and they are fine.

I believe more 'Modern' guns with screw in chokes etc perform just as well/better with plasi-wad 28gr loads, but I dont have any of those? The Pheasants don't seem to be able

to tell?

AF