LED LIGHTS

Bear with me I know its been done before, but with new gear coming out all the time it pays to ask the same questions from time to time . I need a new light for the rifle (22.250) I am going to go I think with a torch type LED. I need good distance for fox mostly. I did have one for a day and sent it back , they claimed see eyes at 600m and shoot 400m but in use it was realy streching it at 150 to 200m. So for a few different reasons I sent it back. Is what I want to know is what is the very best light I could put on a rifle for a tight beam and to strech out to a good distance. My nearest gun shop is allcocks and they are going to lend me two lights on thursday to try good service by them so it will be two to try so see how that goes. what do you use ? , would it do what I want ? I know its not exatly a torch but has any one got the HID light from A1 shooting ? .

Same as you, I thought I'd invest in the brightest possible led torch. I tried a few cheap ebay torches and was relatively impressed so I paid more for decent 700 and 900 lumen LED torches and whilst they gave a decent distance they don't compare to a blitz. If Im out alone I use NV and if I've got a lampman it's the blitz. For my shooting my personal opinion is at the moment the LED torches don't put the same amount of light out there at distance as the blitz. Sorry it doesn't help your scope mounted lamp question but that's the best lamp for CF at distance. I hope somone disagrees because if there's a brighter, tighter scope mounted torch out there I want it. Don't get me wrong they are decent torches just not better than a Blitz.

I've just got in from an hour out with the Hornet. I bought an LED torch a few weeks ago, only a 120 lumens. Today I bought a figure eight mount for it from Manchester Airguns. Couldn't fault it tonight, plenty of light for the Hornet and the Hornets range. Picked off a nice vixen at 90yds behind the farm with it, right in the napper. For difficult to see distances, I'd recommend carrying something bigger just to make sure of your target first. Easy enough if you have a lamp man with you.Some of these LEDs give out too much light.

Edited by cragman

I think LED lamps are quite a way from equalling traditional lamps on beam length, especially the blitz. But I use a Tiablo A10 G LED, when lamping alone and on foot. I chose this lamp because it was the brightest of the ones I tried, and it's very well manufactured. There's also no noticeable extra weight or bulkiness on the rifle, which is a big factor for me when covering several miles, so I decided I'd accept the shorter useable range (though I find it easily illuminates a fox at well over 200 yards), in exchange for more portability, and far less weary legs and back, the next morning!

My personal choice if I always had someone to lamp for me, would be to use a traditional lamp rather than LED.

One thing I learned when choosing an LED lamp was that it's the reflector, rather than the lumen rating that determines beam length or 'throw', hence the Tiablo, at 260 lumens gives a longer beam than others rated at 900 lumens.

It'll be interesting to hear how you find the two you're trialling.

Im currently using a catapult v3, not the most expensive or furthest throwing LED but it's decent for what I want. I use it to scan hillsides with abundant cover before switching to nv it just doesn't give enough distance for shooting but decent for eyeshine. Im on foot a lot and shoot across valleys and into hillsides so 300yrds can be a regular occurance with the blitz. The 900lumen torch I returned had the same bulb as the catapult but different reflector housing and although it seemed to have a tighter beam it just didn't have the legs of the cat, I use a 22-250 so when the op wanted a lamp for that, my opinion is a blitz but like you say you need a lampman, that's why I went for NV.

Yes best way every time is with a lamp man once you start working together that is , I have lamped with a few people over the years some you would think were taking the P. I think the one is the a10 and the other might be a clulite supper .I will let you know how I get on Thanks for the replys they are all helpfull cheers all.

Slight change of plan with having a lend of two lights to try, a bit of confusion there, end they were not there when I went in. So instead they gave me a new cluson Pro Spotter the latest thing in. I charged it up but only had time for a half hr out, the beam on it is real good I am very impressed good spot and a good range. But there is always a but , The bad bit with this light is it has no memery as a lot do it has two modes low and hi in that order, it always starts on low mode,the remote was not working at the time but trying it this was very loud in use. The switch on the rear off torch is also very loud I could hear it at 20 m so fox ect is going to hear that a lot better than me. To switch on its click click and you are in low mode, click click is off click click and you are in hi this is way to much noise at night. The shop is getting on to cluson to see if there is way around this. All in all the beam is real good but for me the switch is a killer, so I have got a A10 to try next week see how that goes.

You're right about there always being a 'but' leeroy. I changed the stock mounted switch on the Tiablo from the original pressure switch which needed constant pressure or the light switched off, to a simple rocker switch, this is silent and means you can have your front hand anywhere on the stock, after you've turned the lamp on. I also swapped the original scope mounting bracket which requires an allen key for fitting and removal, for a clulite one. With this set up, it's simple to attach or adjust the lamp in complete darkness if needed.

Let us know how you find the A10. As I said before, it doesn't give the range of some other traditional lamps, but it does give a more than adequate range and it's very portable, which is great for solo lamping.

Thats a few good mods you made , it will make things easer when single hand lamping , can I ask was the presure switch that came with it loud to use. I have been looking at the HID lamps they are very bright they claim up to around the 2500/3000 lumens now thats power and they say long long beam, its not that I need that much but if they can do that why cant I find one that can do half of what that would do. Its out there some where its just finding it . If money was no object what is the very best light you could buy ?. I dont know, you would not think buying a light would cause so much trouble.

Thats a few good mods you made , it will make things easer when single hand lamping , can I ask was the presure switch that came with it loud to use. I have been looking at the HID lamps they are very bright they claim up to around the 2500/3000 lumens now thats power and they say long long beam, its not that I need that much but if they can do that why cant I find one that can do half of what that would do. Its out there some where its just finding it . If money was no object what is the very best light you could buy ?. I dont know, you would not think buying a light would cause so much trouble.

The pressure switch was silent, and pretty rugged like the rest of the tiablo, but I often need to take shots from a variety of different positiions, so having to keep my front hand in one position on the stock in order to keep the light on was a real pain.

I've seen the HId lights advertised too, and they do seem very good, but I've not been able to see one in use, to decide whether or not they live up to the claims.

I'm not sure what scope mounted light I'd go for if I could have any I chose, and I'm always looking to improve on some aspects in order to make things easier, but it would preferably be:

Light weight

Capable of easily identifying Fox to about 300+ yards

Have an easily adjustable beam

Be wire free

To be honest, if the Tiablo I'm using now had just another 50 - 100 yards beam range, I'd be more than happy to stick with my current set up for good.

Edited by kenny14

Well done you nice coat on that one , I for got to ask what sort of range do you get out of the a10 . I have just been on the phone to inovatech about the a10-g full bore lamping kit , is that the same as you are using? . I was talking to some one called Mark and he makes it sound very impresive indeed , I must say I am thinking about it . PS my laptop is sick so may take a day or two to answer .