• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

look pal i was having a laugh way the guy then he starts with all his i think you should lay off the post till i get my information correct who is he to tell me what to do ? and who do u think you are

Hi! John, Female HHs Can and will take Hares. It is worth remembering that the Hare is a powerful animal and is capable of seriously injuring the bird which may even result in the death of the bird. I

u got your male on steroids mate? mines flys at 1lb 12 oz male and he has no chance in hell of holding a hare he had tried several times and got flung about iv seen big hares give whippets a hard time

am thinking the dog caught it pmsl

Are you refering to the pics I put up because you are dead wrong, the dog lost the chase and was actually nowhere near the hare for most of the chase. he is just standing there like he did something useful. This falcon often kills hares with a single headshot and prefers to do that to anything else.

yes sometimes the dogs do catch a hare but mostly there job is to keep the hare moving and prevent it hiding in cover. They also help the falcon dispatch a hare when he binds which helps prevent injury to the bird and also provide some degree of protection at the kill from other raptors and coyotes.

0111111421.jpg

This coyote got too close and paid the price. Without any real knowledge of what I do your are not qualified to comment on it.

All the best Terence

• Like 1

Thanks Martin interesting piece.

I have read of longwings such a saker and saker/peregrins taking hares in China and the jack rabbits in the USA. Not sure if the hares in China are smaller.

I understand this type of hare hawking is rather ancient . any comments?

John

Hi John,

Yes very ancient. The hare, in one form or another, has been pursued with longwings since the sport’s earliest days.

Historically, many of the hares pursued have not been as big and tough as the brown hare of central and northern Europe (flights to the small Arabian hare being a good example). But big hares were flow – like the brown hares taken here in the UK at Elveden in around 1870.

The current European interest in this type of falconry certainly encompasses some of the toughest targets ever flown. Some very big brown hares have fallen to pure gyrs and gyr hybrids.

In the States, as you mention, ‘jackrabbit’ hawking has also seen some interest from longwingers; in fact the flying currently being conducted in New Mexico against the black-tailed jack or sage brush hare (not as heavy as our brown hare) can certainly claim to have increased awareness here in the UK.

All the best,

Martin

That would be me in New Mexico, i currently fly a Gyr/Prairie male on jackrabbits here are a couple of pics

Nov152010006.jpg

Nov152010009-1.jpg

A close up of the same hare showing where he hit it in the head.

All the best Terence

Nice pics lad well done.

Top pics Dirtwinger :thumbs: just watched some footage of a gyr saker taking hare with 'single headshot' :icon_eek: :icon_eek: truly amazing , Id love to do similar myself , your a lucky fella enjoying that first hand :victory:

Harris and Hares? IUm no expert just starting out with birds, but will say one thing leverets and proper hares are two very different beasts, both give a very nasty kick to anything that takes a hold of em :thumbs: seen many a nasty bruise on dog from being kicked in chest holding em, could be fatal for the bird, but people will always want to try em and many will suceed, but its a grat risk evertime you slip em on that sort of quarry, maybe a case of 'they can do it, but should they? ' likesay not my place to say, mind I will say the gyr saker did a very efective job in the vid I watched :D hare did not even so much as twitch :icon_eek:

• Like 1

I don't know how to upload picture because am on mobile phone not pc I can also give you a number for 2 other falconers who hunt hare with harris. Male

I don't mean to be rude about this but ganging up on people is childish.

would be nice to see the pictures but then again not all pictures tell the whole truth unless there some full on action shots, anyone can stick a bird on some dead quarry and say "Look what my bird Caught". I'm sure its not in kevs interests to do such a thing :thumbs:

its hard to beleive but then again I can never say never, there's always exceptions to the rule in all these sports. a Pal <Andy Reeve> had a female spars that got off on taking Carrion Crows for fun, ok he was on hand to assist but it had the balls, I had a male 3/4 German 1/4 Finn <Del Boy> who bound to a Hare on a few occasions but as expected soon got kicked off. I think we've all had birds pile in on large quarry only to find they couldn't hold it, I even had a suicidal Spar a few years back slam into a Cock Pheasant after it could only see its head in the long grass, by the time I got there she had been dragged through the brambles and sat underneath looking pretty sorry for herself.

I attended a well known falconers 60th birthday bash in 97 and in the evening sat round drinking and listening to some different stories, one of the stories I'm confident would be laughed off on this forum so I won't bother, yet I know it was 100% true as it was witnessed by other respected falconers there at the time. all I can say is it invloved a female Redtail taking and holding somthing pretty dangerouse and far bigger than itself, the quarry was finally released with nothing more than its pride hurt, but I can imagine it all being a bit arse nippy at the time :laugh:

I don't know how to upload picture because am on mobile phone not pc I can also give you a number for 2 other falconers who hunt hare with harris. Male

I don't mean to be rude about this but ganging up on people is childish.

Im not ganging up Kev i just find it hard to believe personally but i am sure it is not impossible.. :thumbs: ..do you fly full grown hares with a cast of male harris's.

We fly 3 males harris in a cast. But we only slip 2 harris at a time. I also found when flyin cast 1 on glove and 1 on soar is a huge gain in field I understand what you mean matey and am sorry is a was rude just do not like bullies or people think there big. My harris hawk is 7 years old and I have had him form. 21 weeks old so I know my hawk best your more than welcome to see us fly but not till end september as finess is the key to all kills kev