• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

look pal i was having a laugh way the guy then he starts with all his i think you should lay off the post till i get my information correct who is he to tell me what to do ? and who do u think you are

Hi! John, Female HHs Can and will take Hares. It is worth remembering that the Hare is a powerful animal and is capable of seriously injuring the bird which may even result in the death of the bird. I

u got your male on steroids mate? mines flys at 1lb 12 oz male and he has no chance in hell of holding a hare he had tried several times and got flung about iv seen big hares give whippets a hard time

Hi! John, Female HHs Can and will take Hares. It is worth remembering that the Hare is a powerful animal and is capable of seriously injuring the bird which may even result in the death of the bird. In my opinion Hares are better left to the birds that are better equipped to deal with them, ie: Eagles ;)

Edited by EskdaleHawks
  • Like 1

just as i thought....perhaps I'll just have to stick to the rabbits. "Darling, what I need is an Eagle" just sounds like it's not going to work with the wife!!

thanks

John

Eskdalehawks summed it up perfect :thumbs:. You could also come down a calibre from a Eagle to perhaps a female Redtail, It should knock the Hares over for you at quarter of the cost.

even the best of birds can make mistakes and end up with their crops torn or worse with a kick from a Hare, I value the birds I fly too much and avoid a confrontation with a Hare if possible. then again a bird thats mastered a technique will roll them over like a true pro.

liike they say "Its the fight in the dog" that counts, some quite small German female Goshawks across the continent flying average female Harris size take them regular, watching these flights are all a bit arse nippy when you see the hawk being flipped and dragged around.

Hi i'm just starting to think about getting into falconry again and wondered if a large female harris could take a hare? I now live in an area with loads.

Thanks

John

Hi John,

This topic has come up on here before and I think most would agree that hawking brown hares (certainly need to differentiate between blue and brown) with a Harris is quite a big subject – and a fascinating one! The parabuteo breaks so many rules, drawing on its bottomless courage and using its cool-killer head, that it has turned UK hare hawking up side down.

I have flown hares with a variety of hawks, and as others have said, for intensive hare work nothing matches a golden eagle. But there is something so very special about being out there with a seasoned hare-hunting Harris that really gets the electricity flowing.

I’ve posted this book extract before. Hope I’ll be forgiven throwing it in again: http://business.virgin.net/fernhill.press/extract8.htm

All the best,

Martin

Thanks Martin interesting piece.

I have read of longwings such a saker and saker/peregrins taking hares in China and the jack rabbits in the USA. Not sure if the hares in China are smaller.

I understand this type of hare hawking is rather ancient . any comments?

John

Hi John,

Yes very ancient. The hare, in one form or another, has been pursued with longwings since the sport’s earliest days.

Historically, many of the hares pursued have not been as big and tough as the brown hare of central and northern Europe (flights to the small Arabian hare being a good example). But big hares were flow – like the brown hares taken here in the UK at Elveden in around 1870.

The current European interest in this type of falconry certainly encompasses some of the toughest targets ever flown. Some very big brown hares have fallen to pure gyrs and gyr hybrids.

In the States, as you mention, ‘jackrabbit’ hawking has also seen some interest from longwingers; in fact the flying currently being conducted in New Mexico against the black-tailed jack or sage brush hare (not as heavy as our brown hare) can certainly claim to have increased awareness here in the UK.

All the best,

Martin

Hello Martin

Great right up. I did some reading on Mr Duleep Singh , Elveden estate. I think this man also still holds the Partridge record for most shot in one day on the estate? I remember reading a book which I can't remember the author but there was a quote in there which read "I beleive I have seen the best of falconry in the uk of the likes will never be seen again", never a true'er word spoken. I think it was Thornton who wrote this but not 100% sure now.

I attended a field meet at Eleveden a few years back and must say it was wonderful to see how the land was still managed and unspoiled, the hedge rows was still in tacts splitting the felds reminding me of farming techniques of old.

its sad to say but I would think Mr Singh would turn in his grave if he wittnessed some of the falconry practiced today.

atb Tony

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalip_Singh_Sukerchakia

Hello Martin

Great right up. I did some reading on Mr Duleep Singh , Elveden estate. I think this man also still holds the Partridge record for most shot in one day on the estate? I remember reading a book which I can't remember the author but there was a quote in there which read "I beleive I have seen the best of falconry in the uk of the likes will never be seen again", never a true'er word spoken. I think it was Thornton who wrote this but not 100% sure now.

I attended a field meet at Eleveden a few years back and must say it was wonderful to see how the land was still managed and unspoiled, the hedge rows was still in tacts splitting the felds reminding me of farming techniques of old.

its sad to say but I would think Mr Singh would turn in his grave if he wittnessed some of the falconry practiced today.

atb Tony

http://en.wikipedia....ngh_Sukerchakia

Hi Tony,

I have only been Elveden way once and wasn’t able to see much of the country – which is a shame. I understand that he had as many as 35 gyrs at one time – though illness took many. What a sight those hare flights must have been; and what a stir they must have caused.

Martin

Thanks Martin interesting piece.

I have read of longwings such a saker and saker/peregrins taking hares in China and the jack rabbits in the USA. Not sure if the hares in China are smaller.

I understand this type of hare hawking is rather ancient . any comments?

John

Hi John,

Yes very ancient. The hare, in one form or another, has been pursued with longwings since the sport’s earliest days.

Historically, many of the hares pursued have not been as big and tough as the brown hare of central and northern Europe (flights to the small Arabian hare being a good example). But big hares were flow – like the brown hares taken here in the UK at Elveden in around 1870.

The current European interest in this type of falconry certainly encompasses some of the toughest targets ever flown. Some very big brown hares have fallen to pure gyrs and gyr hybrids.

In the States, as you mention, ‘jackrabbit’ hawking has also seen some interest from longwingers; in fact the flying currently being conducted in New Mexico against the black-tailed jack or sage brush hare (not as heavy as our brown hare) can certainly claim to have increased awareness here in the UK.

All the best,

Martin

That would be me in New Mexico, i currently fly a Gyr/Prairie male on jackrabbits here are a couple of pics

Nov152010006.jpg

Nov152010009-1.jpg

A close up of the same hare showing where he hit it in the head.

All the best Terence

I have male harris hawk which take hares with no problem so a female harris will easy pull them down

Little advice always make sure your harris fit before hunting hares

Kev

u got your male on steroids mate? mines flys at 1lb 12 oz male and he has no chance in hell of holding a hare he had tried several times and got flung about iv seen big hares give whippets a hard time i will believe a male hh can take a hare when i see it with my own two eyes been flying hawks 8 years and runnig lurchers since i was 12 and no by experience a hare is a powerfull animal .what weight dus your mhh fly at ?

• Like 1

I have male harris hawk which take hares with no problem so a female harris will easy pull them down

Kev

u got your male on steroids mate? mines flys at 1lb 12 oz male and he has no chance in hell of holding a hare he had tried several times and got flung about iv seen big hares give whippets a hard time i will believe a male hh can take a hare when i see it with my own two eyes been flying hawks 8 years and runnig lurchers since i was 12 and no by experience a hare is a powerfull animal .what weight dus your mhh fly at ?

I would say he classes a half grown leveret as a full grown adult hare..ive seen it happen many a time when the field's first get cut..you get armies of lad's out with lurchers nailing young leveret's ..then they tell people they have been coarsing and caught 3 out of 3 hare's.. :laugh: .

• Like 1

Kev

I would say he classes a half grown leveret as a full grown adult hare..ive seen it happen many a time when the field's first get cut..you get armies of lad's out with lurchers nailing young leveret's ..then they tell people they have been coarsing and caught 3 out of 3 hare's.. :laugh: .

aint no sport in killing young hares bet he thinks his mhh is a super hero lol clown