Drop Nets

Ratsmasher

Hi everyone

Im planning on getting a drop net at the Stow gamefair that is near me

I've had a little experience using one a few months ago, but didnt have much luck thinking back trying to net around a corner might have been overcomplecating things

but im going to give it a proper go. decided on a drop net as opposed to a long net because this would be more about getting as many rabbits as possible and I think this would be more achievable without having to try and creep past the rabbits without them bolting. I was planning on getting something like a 100yd 6oz net. Would this be suitable for rabbits? I would be doing it with my dad so as to make setting the net a bit easier.

anyone out there with experience with these who might have some tips?

atb Ratty

I'm curious..., I know that Brinded nets used to sell a drop net system but the vast majority I've seen in use were home made affairs..,I've seen several different systems all made using varying levels of manufacture...there's the typical home made set that's done on a budget or the top end, professionally made type....who did you intend to buy one from at the show ? I can also say that the better quality ones would cost a small fortune.....oh and if you want to do it properly , do it with a trammel........atb

google john orr ,the rabbit man,he has a no nonsense approach when it comes to dropnet

systems,give him a bell and he;ll put you [bANNED TEXT].

not being funny but how many members on here have heard/used john orr's system if its that good?

Y.I.S Leeview

just had a look on john orr the rabbit man :hmm: his nets have been voted the best in the UK :hmm: and his 100yd net consists of 16 smaller nets :hmm: they work 24hours a day 365days a year SO you must check for trapped rabbits regularly :whistling:

He has 35yrs experience but started in 1951(aged 13)

Buyer beware is good advice :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview

google john orr ,the rabbit man,he has a no nonsense approach when it comes to dropnet

systems,give him a bell and he;ll put you [bANNED TEXT].

I just did google John Orr and judging by the 'utter guff' he has on his website I would steer well clear............... :blink: :blink: :icon_eek:

I am no Drop net expert but I would be more worried about the actual drop system and poles used than the net. A reasonable 4z with plenty of kill will suffice to mesh your rabbits, but dropping the net efficiently I suspect is the real issue you need to get right.

Edited by Sirius

Ive had a look at the "make a longnet" post which was very helpful and if worst comes to worst I could do something similar but use some leaded cord (anyone know where you could buy it?) and only attach the top of the net to the pole.

it could be dropped buy threading braided nylon through the net top and bottom to hold it up and then simply pull the nylon out when you drop it

most of you probs know that one already but that was what was in mind

Ive had a look at the "make a longnet" post which was very helpful and if worst comes to worst I could do something similar but use some leaded cord (anyone know where you could buy it?) and only attach the top of the net to the pole.

it could be dropped buy threading braided nylon through the net top and bottom to hold it up and then simply pull the nylon out when you drop it

Good Luck and lets know how you get on :thumbs:

Y.I.S Leeview