Lightforce Striker V's Tracer Sport Light Pro 170

I have here a new lamp by Deben "Tracer Sport Light Pro 170" a blatant copy of the Striker. I have also been given a 210 version of the same lamp to test, it's 30mm smaller than the Blitz but boost's the same 800m beam. Same I haven't got the Blitz to compare it with.

Also on test a 22amp/hour lithium battery, I'm not sure I will be able to give you any answers about this, time wise that is as there isn't enough lamping here at the mo, anyway my dogs ain't that fit. :laugh:

I have checked the wiring and it looks good, they have fitted a rubber grommet sort of thing to stop the wires from pulling at the base of the lamp, although it's a bit of a sloppy fit it seems to work. The handle is a little different in that it has finger grips instead of a straight handle and the outside diameter is ribbed just as you like it :) but the filters still fit perfectly and the reflectors are interchangeable also with the 210. The Striker I think has a 100w bulb and the Sport Light 170 has a 75w bulb but I will make sure both lamps have the same bulb for testing.

Anyway it's dark enough now so here goes.

If I don't come back soon I will finish this tomorrow yc.

Well so far the Sport Light Pro 170 seems exactly the same beam, with the same amount of glare as the Striker. I have focused it at different distances and it is so much the same I would need a second opinion to help me decide.

I think that Deben have literally sent a Striker away and had it copied piece for piece and the changed it cosmetically just a bit (copy rights and all that) and the marketed the result.

All in all a good lamp, not Lightforce quality but sound all the same and the wiring seems sorted and its about £20 cheaper for the variable.

Price RRP £79.99 and £119.95 variable for the 170 and £99.95 and £119.95 variable for the 220.

I will update this the more I use them, oh and the 22 amp/hour battery weighs a bit less than a 7amp/hour dry cell battery :icon_eek: .

I have made the decision to get the Sport light Pro 170 variable. It seem to equal the Striker and after my special discount is very reasonable. I was after a variable lamp and was undecided about the size of the lamp to go for, the Blitz seemed too large and when I saw the SLP 220 that offered the same performance I thought I'd try it. The reason I choose the 170 over the 220 was the amount of side glare that the 220 produced, some thing the smaller lamp didn't, I have also noticed that with the Blitz. And also the amount of times that I need the range of a bigger lamp is minimal.

Any chance you could get your hands on a u caller 170 to test against the lamps youve tried?

Sorry pal. One of my customers has an account with Deben hence the interest in the Sport Light, but I recon they are all coming from the same Chinese factory. Probably the reason they are nigh on exactly the same.

Handled one of these lamps last week, not good imo. I had it in bit's and the wiring looked shoddy to say the least they come with the cig lighter conection that melt and as soon as you swap them for somthing decent your warranty is void. But the lightforce isn't much better so until someone makes a better hunting lamp we don't have much of a choice do we.

Let us know at the end of the season how it performs....see if it can can take the bumps and knocks and bad weather etc etc. i know lightforce have some issues but i cant see how this lamp should be any different...atb stabba

Handled one of these lamps last week, not good imo. I had it in bit's and the wiring looked shoddy to say the least they come with the cig lighter conection that melt and as soon as you swap them for somthing decent your warranty is void. But the lightforce isn't much better so until someone makes a better hunting lamp we don't have much of a choice do we.

I don't know what you would expect the wiring to look like, it looks fine to me, it looks fairly similar to my Striker that I re-wired myself and the rubber grommet keeping the wire it place is fused to the cable, so shouldn't move. The cigarette lighter connection is a snug fit with the Deben fitting and I have used the same connection on my Striker for more than two seasons and it hasn't melted and if it did it's within it's warranty, I like this connection as I can use it from my motor and the quad. I think the Lightforce range is the best once you get past the teething problems i.e wiring. What I think Deben have done here is copied the Striker and tried to eliminate the problems it had and offered it at a cheaper price. All I know is that it offers very similar performance, anyway time will tell and believe me this lamp will be tested :yes: .

Edited to say; Butler if you feel that let down by today's hunting lamps why don't you get and make your own it can't be that hard, I'm sure they will back you on Dragons Den :laugh:

Edited by leegreen

i have a tracer sport 170 variable, and i can honestly say it performs exactly the same as the lightforce striker, which it has replaced

like leegreen i have compared them both and there is no difference in the tightness of beam. and using a 75w bulb instead of 100w in theory should give you more time on the lamp so thats a bonus.

the wiring is better, the price is better and i wont be going back to lightforce from now on

if this helps anybody?

also for stabba, i honestly think the lightforce would take the bumps & knocks better than the tracer, it feels more sturdy and durable

Edited by moon pig

I don't know what you would expect the wiring to look like, it looks fine to me, it looks fairly similar to my Striker that I re-wired myself and the rubber grommet keeping the wire it place is fused to the cable, so shouldn't move. The cigarette lighter connection is a snug fit with the Deben fitting and I have used the same connection on my Striker for more than two seasons and it hasn't melted and if it did it's within it's warranty, I like this connection as I can use it from my motor and the quad. I think the Lightforce range is the best once you get past the teething problems i.e wiring. What I think Deben have done here is copied the Striker and tried to eliminate the problems it had and offered it at a cheaper price. All I know is that it offers very similar performance, anyway time will tell and believe me this lamp will be tested :yes: .

Edited to say; Butler if you feel that let down by today's hunting lamps why don't you get and make your own it can't be that hard, I'm sure they will back you on Dragons Den :laugh:

Made plenty of lamp's in my younger days and they worked just fine :tongue2: I think the build quality on modern lamp's is poor, more for the part time market and for most people this is good enough but a few out there expect/need more.

Do you work for deben?

Maybe its me being a Scottish, but i find these Lamps far too expensive for what they are, would be interesting to know how much they cost to make,

Interestingly I was in China recently,, and was on the look out for lamps, but never managed to find a shop that sold them.