A weekend worth waiting for...

Its been a fair while since I was last able to visit a small patch of permission in Dorset and I've been looking forward to it for ages. I was lait arriving on Friday as I got stuck behind one of those annoying people who insists on driving at 55mph so literally dropped my stuff off at my relatives where I was staying and set out arriving for the last hour of light. Several sika hinds with yound at foot were seen on the way to the highseat with the inevitable shrill warning cries been shouted before hightailing it away. Up in the seat I let nature settle for a few minutes before starting calling with the Buttolo - it wasn't long before a young Roe doe approached up the ride getting to 80 meters away before being distracted where she began browsing. I watched her for what seemed like the last half hour of light and just glanced away to check the time on my phone only to see a good buck stood right behind her when I looked back up. I put the crosshairs on his shoulder quickly and he was knocked off his fee to lie quite at the strike. A nice big buck which had me sweating back to the car in the dark after I'd gralloched him in the twilight.

408.jpg

I arrived back at the seat later than planned the following morning arriving with the day at 5.50am. On the way to the seat what originally looked like a whispy doe durned out to be a button buck on closer inspection and that, for him i'm afraid, was curtains.

410.jpg

Once in the seat I began calling with the buttolo again with little apparant success. Eventually a pricket came ambling up the tract more out of curiosity than lust and, after pausing at 60 meters to a grunt, was chest shot where he ran 40 meters into cover. I was lucky to see where he fell from the kicking of his legs in the undergrowth and, despite marking the spot from the seat, still had a job finding him in the bracken. A dog for woodland stalking is a seriously good idea.

411.jpg

While they're only small from a woodland management perspective it was a morning well spent :angel: You can just make out the highseat in the background.

413.jpg

No rest for the wicked it was accross town to pick up a new highseat for positioning on the other side of the permission where sika stags have been observed resting in the dappled fir sunlight near a big, knarled and ivy festooned oak. Not one to miss an opportunity I found space in the car for the rifle just encase and I was glad I did. Approaching the Oak I saw another young roe buck couched where we expected to see sika and, at only 40 meters distance was quite happy with a neck shot off sticks which was the only shot available. With him dripping dry we cracked on with the logistical issues you get trying to get a lean-to seat to be secure against a bent old tree :laugh:

415.jpg

416.jpg

The facilities back at the house combined with the net-curtain twitching neighbours made processing one deer and dressing the others awkward so it was back to the wood this morning to do some field butchery. Having finally removed the last tick (on my ballsack :bad: ) I'm looking forward to work tomorrow for a rest :victory:

417.jpg

418.jpg

Edited by Yokel Matt

Cheers chaps - nice bit of young venison for the freezer for the landowner. Must be something about the woodland as they were COVERED in castor bean and those nasty deer ticks that can give you Lyme Disease :bad: Counted 26 on my arm after loading them in the car on Sunday and removed 5 attached to me.

By the way Martin... I think that old boy may be a Medal after all :icon_redface:

Dreaming of Sika mate... you should have seen the size of the stag skylined on the track on the way to the patch :good: