Nick

I don't see you in a negative light. I'm just trying to restore some balance to the debate.

I too enjoy seeing all dogs work. It just appears that I am slight more selective and critical over what I read and whom I associate with. Peasants can be gentlemen and gentlemen can be arseholes. I have always been happier in the company of gentlemen regardless of where they where born and whether they had the silver spoon. I try to avoid the arseholes if at all possible. Over the years you get a good feel for where they like to congregate.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Funny how I get messages asking what I know about you Greek Phil seems you are getting a reputation as a troll on other forums. "Just because its free" etc, well doesnt matter if it works or not does

Shouldn't that read too great.   So much for public school education.........   As I am a night shift with little to do except wait for a disaster I have read this thread and cannot believe that y

ffs how did all this shite stem from the origional post? the poor lad only asked for a bit of beating

probably congregate on other forums then, which seem to be just alive by the number of posts.

I read a comprehensive range of many types of printed media, being less selective means that i gain a more all encompassing view of countryside sports of all sorts, rather than confining myself to a rather limited field- pardon the pun.

what a waste of a thread, i'm a member on pubs and must admit its not the busiest of forums but its free and i have had offers off there, as mentioned get seeing the local keepers to see if they want a beater cut the middle men out..

but comeone you pair you look like idiots, no-one is arsed whos the best... your both looking a right pair of bitches and not showing either organisation in a good light, damn right pettiness.

probably congregate on other forums then, which seem to be just alive by the number of posts.

I read a comprehensive range of many types of printed media, being less selective means that i gain a more all encompassing view of countryside sports of all sorts, rather than confining myself to a rather limited field- pardon the pun.

Subjecting oneself to low brow media does nothing other than provide oneself with an emergency supply of loo paper for those unexpected calls of nature IMO. As for gaining a wider view of legitimate country sports. I'd suggest its better to get out and do something legitimate, than to sit indoors and read about the less savoury. A spot of pigeon shooting or pike fishing perhaps.

There are enough armchair experts in this world.

what a waste of a thread, i'm a member on pubs and must admit its not the busiest of forums but its free and i have had offers off there, as mentioned get seeing the local keepers to see if they want a beater cut the middle men out..

but comeone you pair you look like idiots, no-one is arsed whos the best... your both looking a right pair of bitches and not showing either organisation in a good light, damn right pettiness.

Thanks

Ever heard or read of the process of self censorship? It works like this. If you don't like what you read or see.......... stop reading it or look at something else.

It works for me every time. It might work for you too.

Why don't you two get a room , have a good f**k and get it out your systems. You do both realise that we only have a finite amount of time on earth and wasting it bickering is pathetic.

No no, I like it.

And Fill De Bubble you do sound like one of them proper tight snobs :laugh: and as for paying to be informed of where I would be ALLOWED to go beating, feck that, pay me yes.

"Poacher News" brilliant! You learn something every day.

And and "even if a few are some what rough around the edges" how delightful :laugh: your special.

Carry on chaps.

edited for a full stop.

Edited by leegreen

Well i am awaiting my third pair of hunters from ST this year, have had Shooting Gazette three times i think, Sporting Shooter (inc winning the Musto Coat), The Field, CMW and Sporting Gun so I think long night shifts with little to occupy me shows through... ;)

My point is that i don't have any option but to sit in front of a screen on long night shifts, wishing i could be out with my dog or out in the woods gun in hand. Why on your evenings you would rather debate the NOBS/PUBS split than do something more constructive in the real world is beyond me.

ATB

Rob K

Rob what size feet are you?

Please note I am not continuing any perceived NOBS/PUBS argument, there are links to NOBS on all my forums, what I object to is the patronising references to hard working people who enjoy legal countryside pursuits different to shooting.

Countrymans Weekly, or Poachers News as GP would have it, is an excellent periodical, and in my opinion appeals to a far wider audience than many so called top periodicals, favoured by him.

Long dogs, sight hounds any breed of gundog - all fit for purpose - then we use them or lose them - to see them doing their job is fantastic. Who cares whether the handler/owner is lord or lady or a country bumpkin such as me.

One of my local shoots was run by a retired major. the most consumate all round field sportsman I have ever had the priviliege to count as a friend, he died the morning after a day on the Test - but he luxuriated in any form of countryside sport, loved long dogs, shot, fished for everything, caught signal crayfish from the stream by his house and delighted in eating anything he caught, indeed some that he poached!!

His memorial service overflowed the church - three previous keepers,myself and another beater or two, turned out in best tweeds, boots polished, the only concession was black tie, and yes I took one of my dogs.

Attending that service were lords and ladies, past high sherrif of the county, gentlemen, ladies but also many from all walks of life who genuinely mourned his passing, he treated all the same, that is how we should treat each other in life forgetting petty squabbles and one upmanship which only serves to waste time and make one look a total prat.

"what I object to is the patronising references to hard working people who enjoy legal countryside pursuits different to shooting."

Where would those references be?

"Countrymans Weekly, or Poachers News as GP would have it, is an excellent periodical, and in my opinion appeals to a far wider audience than many so called top periodicals, favoured by him."

Is that becos it has more pictures in and less words?

Offical circ figures are ;

The Field

• 30,209 (ABC Jan-Dec 10)
  • Readership: 156,000 (NRS Jan09-Dec10)
  • Target Market: ABC1 Adults

Shooting Times

• Circulation: 23,309 (ABC Jan-Dec 10)
  • Target Market: AB men aged 35

CMW/Poachers News

Circulation: 22,000

Target Market: BC men aged 25+

As you can see The Field and the Shooting Times come out ahead. Even Tatler manages 120,000 . ;)

Your old Major sounds like a true gent and you said they didn't exist.

"make one look a total prat."

You should know Nick . You should know. :bye:

statistics and damned statistics- meaningless really, how many are read avidly by the readership i wonder and there is some discontent at Shooting Times editorial style and perceived censorship.

How can you assess readership accurately? sales are easy but readers? - and how many read the magazines thoroughly?

If you referred to BB as a gent he would fall over laughing, it was rumoured that at one time the whole of gloucestershire was deemed under his permission!! (That from one of his many cousins, now an MP and previously heading a countryside organisation of some repute, who also had to tolerate my wit and repartee when i chauffeured him around one boxing day at the shoot.

statistics and damned statistics- meaningless really, how many are read avidly by the readership i wonder and there is some discontent at Shooting Times editorial style and perceived censorship.

How can you assess readership accurately? sales are easy but readers? - and how many read the magazines thoroughly?

If you referred to BB as a gent he would fall over laughing, it was rumoured that at one time the whole of gloucestershire was deemed under his permission!! (That from one of his many cousins, now an MP and previously heading a countryside organisation of some repute, who also had to tolerate my wit and repartee when i chauffeured him around one boxing day at the shoot.

Nick

I understand how hard it is to swallow the bitter pill when independent statistics prove your claims to be out of sync with the true facts. Especially when you base so much to those claims. Such is the risk when you make unsubstantiated claims, they are so easy to shoot down in flames when you have access to the full picture. Who to says that the Poachers News is read any more avidly than the Tatler..... you?

Its becoming ever more obvious that the store you place on your repartee and wit is not reciprocated by anyone else. You're definitely no Willy Poole! Even though you may be fat, old and increasingly encumbered by hounds of all descriptions.

Edited by Greek Phil

This thread now seems to be nothing more than a PERSONAL attack on me by someone hiding behind another pseudonym, who seems to be rather bitter and vindictive, and also seems to follow me around from forum to forum.

Sadly in the majority of cases his posting seems to achieve little as most people wonder just exactly what it is that I have done to upset him, and many of those know me personally, having met me whilst I travel around from shoot to shoot, can see that his gripe seems to be all consuming.

Ah well, life is a bitch, like GP perhaps.

This thread now seems to be nothing more than a PERSONAL attack on me by someone hiding behind another pseudonym, who seems to be rather bitter and vindictive, and also seems to follow me around from forum to forum.

Sadly in the majority of cases his posting seems to achieve little as most people wonder just exactly what it is that I have done to upset him, and many of those know me personally, having met me whilst I travel around from shoot to shoot, can see that his gripe seems to be all consuming.

Ah well, life is a bitch, like GP perhaps.

Up early this morning with the vitriol. :D The old bladder not what it once was aye?

bitter and vindictive..... nope. upset ...nope, all consuming....nope, bitch.... definitely nope.

Personal attack...nope. Whats happened to that much claimed Cordey sofh? Has it been over stated... me thinks it has.

Like the advertising slogan says "Its been good to talk".

Rasher,

Same old rubbish again and again, same points, same reference to stats, the general public, moral and ethical views. Now you are pointing out supposed readership of magazine to enforce your point....

Are you a Labour MP? That stands behind majority opinion even though the masses are badly informed by LACS and people like you.

Please run us through the 3 speices of deer you saw coursed before the ban and your account of it.

Dont worry Richie, its me he doesnt like, no doubt the antis are rubbing their hands in glee at how he attempts to disrupt us who actually do work in the country and enjoy all country pursuits, no snobs here, would be so nice to put a face and real name and meet him in person, never going to happen is it.

With characters like GP trying to reinforce class divisions with their comparisons is so outdated.