whats the best for pigeon [ cartrigde]

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I shoot 32 6s from october till march roughly give or take a few boxes etc.

Then I switch to black @ gold 8s for the spring summer I use to be one of the shooters who would shoot other shooters down in flames for use such a small shot size and load on woodies .

But I know a total convert but I do belive that you have to buy a good quality trap load to kill clean etc.

Too many pigeion shooters try to do shooting on the cheap and go into gun shop anf as them famous words I will have 100s of your cheapest mate.

Wrong for one you need to respect your quarry and firing cheap nasty cartridges at them ends up with more wounded birds.

And on there side using a better quality cartridge I will guratee you more birds in the bag.

Cheers Cookie

• 2 weeks later...

I like Fiocchi 32g no. 6 and have used more of them than any other cartridge on pigeons and crows this summer. I have used Pigeon 32 but don't find them as smooth on the shoulder so I decided to compare the two cartridges, and a lot of others, during the depths of last winter. I opened up each cartridge and counted the number of pellets (I was really bored that day!) and measured the diameter of 10 pellets from each cartridge. The numbers of pellets varied quite a bit, the PL32 contained 328, the Pigeon 32 had 258. The average pellet size showed that the PL32 was a genuine UK number 6 shot whereas the Pigeon 32 was actually a UK number 5 1/2. As the Pigeon 32 pellet is bigger, it could explain why some people have success with them. If you are on target the reduced number of pellets is is more than made up for by the increased knockdown power of the pellets.

Chris

I was at the lakes the other eve waiting for wildfowl and not much happening but plenty of woodies coming by as it was pretty early.

I was bored and used some steel shot 4's on them, 32g and the pigeons were well and truly pole-axed!

Normally (and definitely for geese) I use at least 36g of 3's.

• 3 weeks later...