finished mews and start of my diary

saxonmaster

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if

Posted Images

the best manning is having the bird working on the glove with a tiring mate ,get as many tirings as you can get for ur walks .this is help you so much and will get a rock stead bird,have you been stroking the birds feet with a feather to get him used to things around his feet like i suggested

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if i was having problems with him i would use them more but as you can read from my other posts i have been using them when i first started to take him out but he seems very steady. also i dont want him thinking everytime he sees me he will get fed, will this not make him or could make him a sreamer if everytime he sees me he thinks food. If it takes an extra week or 2 before i get him flying free then so be it im in no rush.

• Like 2

glad you are getting on with things mate.

my mhh hunted last season between 1lb 5 and 1lb 6, stopped rabbits very well.

the thread makes good reading and i look here whenever i get the time.

i'll be picking the bird up in the next couple of weeks too, really looking forward to it tbf.

my mate had his female free from the creance yesterday ( first time, i'm sure his jeans were bulging a tad at the back lmao).

waidmannsheil!

• Like 1

glad you are getting on with things mate.

my mhh hunted last season between 1lb 5 and 1lb 6, stopped rabbits very well.

the thread makes good reading and i look here whenever i get the time.

i'll be picking the bird up in the next couple of weeks too, really looking forward to it tbf.

my mate had his female free from the creance yesterday ( first time, i'm sure his jeans were bulging a tad at the back lmao).

waidmannsheil!

Cheers mate i need to get mine down to at least 1.5 as he will fly to me about 6m at 1.5 7/8oz but he is not responding quickly so i gave him a good feed this morning after he done about 5 recalls as the weather is going to be rubbish again over the weekend and i wont try him again till he is 1.5 or less. i bet your really looking forward to picking your bird up again i expect you have been bored. I know i will be bricking it when i let Thor go for the first time and probably wont sleep much the night before to. Thanks again for your comments mate :thumbs:

yes im touching his feet now, dont think i need to use tirings every time i man him. i want the bird to be with me because he is happy to be with me not everytime i pick him up hes getting food. if i was having problems with him i would use them more but as you can read from my other posts i have been using them when i first started to take him out but he seems very steady. also i dont want him thinking everytime he sees me he will get fed, will this not make him or could make him a sreamer if everytime he sees me he thinks food. If it takes an extra week or 2 before i get him flying free then so be it im in no rush.

dont need ot feed at home as if you can feed away from the house every time u can and this way u will not get a screamer ,washed meat is awlays the best wat to reduce a brds weight than giving it a smaller ration and only letting the bird have half a crop to get the weight down.if i feed at home i will place the food under a pot and hve a long line tied to if with the food under the pot,after5-10mins i will pull the line to reveal the birds ration,this was the bird has no association with you what so ever.

ah right sorry i thought you meant everytime i pick him up mate like i said i do use them but yesterday i was trying to get his weight down for today also he was letting me touch the food today while he was eating so ill be trying to get to the jesses over the weekend.

when he is on the glove and no food there ,keep the jessies tight so he cant foot u and stroke his feet so he knows its not a bad thing and you know he cant foot u ,if ur a bit worried he might us the feather .

managed to get one of the jesses out this afternoon and put back in the right way and to say he hated it would be an under statement the problem wasnt getting to them but the jesses were so tight everytime i pulled them it pulled him to much and he went mentle so ive made some new ones for him today as the breeder made the old ones for me and im taking him over to my mentors place now he is back and try and put the new ones on him also try to get a hood on him which as you said earlier should make things easier if he takes to the hood. Been fairly hard without a mentor being around to watch over things but he has loads of experience he keeps an eagle owl, harris, redtail, barn owl and falcons so i feel alot more confident now he is back so im going to spend the morning with him to go over a few things and fingers crossed ill get a few things sorted tomorrow.

good on ur mate ,might be hard now making him to the hood as its best done on the early manning stages ,if you are going to get a hood make sure you buy a good quality hood and not one of these crap things of ebay for £10 as a bad fitting hood will make thing 10x worse u get what u pay for in a hood mate,for a harris id go for a wuality anglo as the shape fits a harris better than a dutch i feel

good on ur mate ,might be hard now making him to the hood as its best done on the early manning stages ,if you are going to get a hood make sure you buy a good quality hood and not one of these crap things of ebay for £10 as a bad fitting hood will make thing 10x worse u get what u pay for in a hood mate,for a harris id go for a wuality anglo as the shape fits a harris better than a dutch i feel

not sure what it is mate the mentor says he has one i can have if it fits if not ill go and get a good one. What price would you pay for a good one mate?

Saxon tiring's and tiring again is the way forward..dont do anything new unless he is on a tiring..and if he is over faced step back for a day but end the day on a good note with no bating prior to being placed on his bow...

Make a date when you want to change that other jess and the night before soak a nice piece of rabbit back leg in water..dont give him any other food prior to doing this..once he start's eating slowly remove the jess..if you find it difficult and he is manned to other folk get your mate to help you.

You really need to nip this in the bud because when he is loose and hunting the jesses will need to changed daily.

Edited to add..forget the hood for now... you will deffinatly make the bird hate you more..been there and worn the tea shirt..

Edited by Millet

alright mate, ive got a rabbit leg ready for tomorrow to take with me mate i still use tirings but as he has been so steady i havent felt they are needed all the time but i understand what you and grovsey are saying. as with the hood my mate rob will take a look and see what he thinks as he hasnt seen the bird yet but its just something we discussed over the phone as an option if the tiring doesnt help but hopefully it should as i havent feed him but i wont try to force him either way as i dont wont to knock thors confidence and mess up all the hard work we have done. He lets me touch the jess but they are so tight in the eyelet and its when i try to pull it through he doesnt like it and your right it needs to be addressed hopefully the new ones will help as they wont be so tight. i never end on a bad note mate i always try to finish on a high and never put him down because he is bating i just move to a new area and put myself in between what ever he dislikes as i move away or if we are doing jumps and he decides he doesnt want to do anymore if ive put him down to do another one ill finish on a step up or small jump. My mate isnt going to touch him tomorrow just over see things and wants to see the bird and advise me where needed as it will just been nice to have someone on hand i dont want to be footed and be on my own with one hand in the glove and the other in the birds talon as i will be f*cked hahahaha cheers for the help mate :thumbs: