I have a smallholding in North Yorkshire, I keep Chickens, Turkeys, Geese and Ducks. Recently I've had a lot of stock go missing, just odd ones, no mass kills (except for 15 pullets in one go a couple of weeks back) and I've been scratching my head trying to work out what's been taking them.

I went out last night after dark to shut up the sheds and saw a Badger just about to go into the chicken shed. I shouted and ran over and it just sauntered off unphased. I'm now sure it's Badgers who've been taking my ducks, chickens and turkeys but I have no idea what I can actually do to stop them! Any ideas? Some of my rare breeds are worth upto £50 each and it's costing me a fortune!

Is there anything I can do to deter them? I don't want to pen them in as they're free range and enjoy roaming the fields.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoyed reading quite a few of your posts recently.....gave me a lovely insight into exactly what you are, others should do the same and be very wary......

Your only option is a two strand electric fence around the property. or around the sheds at least.   See if you can lay your hands on one of the cattle fencing energiser units that you can plug dire

Take the cost of lost stock and the stress and worry it causes them and you. I'll bet decent elecy fence system would pay for its self in no time.   You cant put a price on watching the brutes get

I have a smallholding in North Yorkshire, I keep Chickens, Turkeys, Geese and Ducks. Recently I've had a lot of stock go missing, just odd ones, no mass kills (except for 15 pullets in one go a couple of weeks back) and I've been scratching my head trying to work out what's been taking them.

I went out last night after dark to shut up the sheds and saw a Badger just about to go into the chicken shed. I shouted and ran over and it just sauntered off unphased. I'm now sure it's Badgers who've been taking my ducks, chickens and turkeys but I have no idea what I can actually do to stop them! Any ideas? Some of my rare breeds are worth upto £50 each and it's costing me a fortune!

Is there anything I can do to deter them? I don't want to pen them in as they're free range and enjoy roaming the fields.

Your only option is a two strand electric fence around the property. or around the sheds at least.

See if you can lay your hands on one of the cattle fencing energiser units that you can plug direct into the mains. Aim for a unit that delivers.3,000 - 4,000 volts on the fence line with an energiser that has a minimum of 1.5 Joules of stored energy. It will shake your fillings loose should you get a belt off of it so works great on badgers.

You almost expect to see the blue flash and smoke drifting up when they get zapped. :icon_eek:

• Like 1

Take the cost of lost stock and the stress and worry it causes them and you. I'll bet decent elecy fence system would pay for its self in no time.

You cant put a price on watching the brutes get zapped for the first time. Especially off one of the high joules systems. :yahoo:

• Like 1

Your mistake was shouting at it................ :whistling:

• Like 1

i totally agree,

• Like 1

Electric fencing wire isnt expensive really, just make you own posts with insulators made from pieces of old hose pipe. Im going to try fencing all our pheasant woods and the rushy fields that surround them next year.

Guest ragumup

Electric fencing wire isnt expensive really, just make you own posts with insulators made from pieces of old hose pipe. Im going to try fencing all our pheasant woods and the rushy fields that surround them next year.

sounds like youv lost a few poults this year ?

Edited by ragumup

i totally agree,

I find creeping up on them and giving them a kick in the butt as equally ineffective.

But they are the only things you are LEGALLY permitted to do.

I realise that the legality of any action is not particularly high on some posters lists.

i totally agree,

I find creeping up on them and giving them a kick in the butt as equally ineffective.

But they are the only things you are LEGALLY permitted to do.

I realise that the legality of any action is not particularly high on some posters lists.

Enjoyed reading quite a few of your posts recently.....gave me a lovely insight into exactly what you are, others should do the same and be very wary...... :hmm:

• Like 2

Enjoyed reading quite a few of your posts recently.....gave me a lovely insight into exactly what you are, others should do the same and be very wary...... :hmm:

Amazing how people will jump to conclusions isn't it. Especially when so ill informed or based upon the flimsiest interpretation of a post. People should always be wary of what they do, say or write.

Its all to easy to reinforce the stereotypical views held by the voting public. The Scottish air gun ban being a prime example.

Amazing how people will jump to conclusions isn't it. Especially when so ill informed or based upon the flimsiest interpretation of a post. People should always be wary of what they do, say or write.

Its all to easy to reinforce the stereotypical views held by the voting public. The Scottish air gun ban being a prime example.

Talking about jumping to conclusions show me where i put up something illegal........... :hmm: