any advice on getting shotgun licence (been declined)

applied for my licence a few months ago for it to be declined due to the fact that when i was 16 I was caught trespassing with an air rifle (not shooting or anything was only seen walking with it) I am now 21 and they said that I cannot re-apply for a "reasonable period of time". I wrote a very strong letter asking why it had been declined, informed them of the reasons for me applying ( to inherit my grandads old guns and also to further my hunting) and also asked them to re-consider my application, which they said they did but still declined. I had my house inspected, had the gun cabinet in and ready etc. and all went well, I'd also been shooting at a clay pigeon club for a few months and put down a reference, whom they contacted.

So now I just dont know what to do. I think their reasons are ridiculous and now dont know what to do. If the old guy currently looking after my grand fathers guns is to pop his clogs then I've lost them as no-one in the family holds a certificate anymore so I was relying on getting mine to inherit them!!!!

I also had promised crow and pigeon shooting permission when I got my licence so have now lost this opportunity due to the fact it was declined!

Any advice?

I had 2 trespass with firearms (a long with other offences) from being a kid, mine were a lot older than yours but i got my FAC no problem. If you are a member of BASC get in touch with there firearms team for some advice.

I had 2 trespass with firearms (a long with other offences) from being a kid, mine were a lot older than yours but i got my FAC no problem. If you are a member of BASC get in touch with there firearms team for some advice.

....I agree with the above. The police seem to be being a bit harsh. I suggest you do seek some professional advice, even if you have to spend a few hundred quid on a lawyer is not bad if you are serious about your sport or inheriting guns worth a lot more.

If you aren't a member already, then contact BASCs firearms department for some advice in the first instance.

Their legal representatives are skilled in particularly firearms law and so would be perhaps the best persons to speak to.

With regards a shotgun certificate, the onus is on the police to prove that you are otherwise so incapable of holding a shotgun certificate and shotguns that if they granted it to you, you would be a danger to yourself and others. If they can't prove that you are some form of danger or untrustworthy person likely to abuse the position of a SGC holder, then they have no choice but to grant it to you. It is a right in law if the above clause cannot be satisfied.

Like I saw, ring BASC and if it means joining them then the £60+ whatever it is, would be worth it.

SS

Trespassing with an Airgun AKA Armed trespass is a criminal offence, you were lucky that the police just gave you a reprimand AKA a caution which by agreeing too, you also agreed that you were guilty.

If you look at things, five years ago you were caught and cautioned for armed trespass. You admitted and agreed to the offence.

Not much chance you will be granted a SGC for a good few years.

I presume that you did admit to a caution on the application?

John

Trespassing with an Airgun AKA Armed trespass is a criminal offence, you were lucky that the police just gave you a reprimand AKA a caution which by agreeing too, you also agreed that you were guilty.

If you look at things, five years ago you were caught and cautioned for armed trespass. You admitted and agreed to the offence.

John

I was 16 (so considered a child by police) and it was a first offence so they couldn't really have given me any more, it's a non-specified offence so considered not serious by them.

Also - I had to admit the offence really because I was caught red-handed by the police themselves, think I had been seen by someone in the houses at the top of the field and they must have called the police.

And yes, I admitted to the caution on the application, I spoke to the inspector about this when he came out to the house, and although he did'nt see it as a problem I presume the decision isn't up to him and everything seemed to go well, he was satisfied that the gun would be used for shooting vermin etc. he saw that we have ferrets and working dogs.

I'm gutted don't know where to turn, but will definitely be contacting BASC when I join hopefully they will be able to offer something.

Thanks for reply

If you aren't a member already, then contact BASCs firearms department for some advice in the first instance.

Their legal representatives are skilled in particularly firearms law and so would be perhaps the best persons to speak to.

With regards a shotgun certificate, the onus is on the police to prove that you are otherwise so incapable of holding a shotgun certificate and shotguns that if they granted it to you, you would be a danger to yourself and others. If they can't prove that you are some form of danger or untrustworthy person likely to abuse the position of a SGC holder, then they have no choice but to grant it to you. It is a right in law if the above clause cannot be satisfied.

Like I saw, ring BASC and if it means joining them then the £60+ whatever it is, would be worth it.

SS

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely be joining BASC now, hopefully they can help to support me with this,

Cheers

John

I was 16 (so considered a child by police) and it was a first offence so they couldn't really have given me any more, it's a non-specified offence so considered not serious by them.

Also - I had to admit the offence really because I was caught red-handed by the police themselves, think I had been seen by someone in the houses at the top of the field and they must have called the police.

And yes, I admitted to the caution on the application, I spoke to the inspector about this when he came out to the house, and although he did'nt see it as a problem I presume the decision isn't up to him and everything seemed to go well, he was satisfied that the gun would be used for shooting vermin etc. he saw that we have ferrets and working dogs.

I'm gutted don't know where to turn, but will definitely be contacting BASC when I join hopefully they will be able to offer something.

Thanks for reply

I used to know a lad when i was 18 he was 16 . He got pulled for armed tresspass he did 3 months !

Strange how your dead keen on fieldsports BUT only want to join BASC because you need help !

I've in BASC for over 30 and i hope my subs aren't wasted on your case ! Grow up and stop whineing you did the crime as you said well i'm sorry but now your doing the TIME !

ATB

Coldweld

it's a non-specified offence so considered not serious by them.

Also - I had to admit the offence really because I was caught red-handed by the police

Okay the bottom line is, armed trespass is a serious criminal offence. Just because the police issued a caution does not mean it was simply a petty non-specific not to worry about thing. Cautions are an admission of guilt and as you were guilty of the crime by your own admission, you are now suffering the consequences of your actions. Please don't think I am having a go at you, I am not. All I am trying to do is explain why based on the information you have given, the police have refused your application.

Again, think of it from the police point of view, they don't know you, they don't know your motivations, they have no personal knowledge of you. All they can go on is cold hard facts from your police record and that was you committed a firearms offence a few years back. Obviously they will refuse your application. I would suspect that you will have to wait a good more years before they would consider you trust worthy.

As for your dilemma, the BASC will do nothing at all to help you. In the first instance, this all happened before you were a member and in the second instance you have committed an offence that would normally prohibit you from being considered fit to own a shotgun or firearm, they will not waste money trying to attack the police position on this (IMHO).

You have two options, first ask another family member to apply for a shotgun.

Second have all the guns send by an RFD to be deactivated, after which you can own the guns with no license.

John

Edited by HUnter_zero

hi mate some sound advice but my pennys worth ask to see the cheif inspector to explain his reasons for refusal?

first off do you have land to shoot on i know you dont really need it but do you ???

second off why dont you have some form of insurance !!!! mental

basc, scottish game keepers, bds, there are other i personally would never shoot with out it

i wish you all the luck in the world mate keep at them send another letter get insured for advice but dont let it go they will be hoping you will give up.

hope this helps fingers crossed for you pal.

cheers paul

a mate of ours had a similar problem to yours commited minor offences when he was young.. settled down decided to re apply 10 yrs later and still they held his past history against him..done his dsc 1/2 joined a rifle club got two mate who were awilling to mentor him got himself insurance cover done safty courses through basc who wernt very helpfull when he asked them to suport his case because appeals are so costly..sacs do the same deal as basc but half the price.. re-applied 3yrs later and still he was refused..in any case when they say an offence is spent after the five year gap of good behaviour in the eyes of the chief no offence however small is classed as spent and getting done for armed trespass dont realy help you mate..if i were you id get ready for a long wait unless you have the cash to appeal theyre decision.