Highseats/Hightowers

We all use them. Some are just great, some are just good, some are just plain horrible and some are an accident waiting to happen.

Personally I prefer wooden high seats to metal high seats. But I like the portability of metal high seats over wooden ones.

Does anyone have plans and a cutting list for both metal and wooden high seats?

Whats the best height for the seat and the best angle for the ladder?

Anyone built themselves a Thetford Tower?

Who makes the best commercially available high seats?

Light weight portable3s are they worth the money?

I saw a photo of a free standing high seat that had a circular rail and a seat that turned 360deg does anyone know who makes them?

How do you keep yours secure?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thought I had a few piccies in my photo bucket achive but must have deleted them, I will take some piccies next time I am up which wont be for a few weeks, This fuel price job is making me cut ba

Davie   There are always at least two versions to every story. Thats why such matters often end up before the courts in order for them to decide in an unbiased manner which version is nearest the ac

Posted Images

All mine are warren girder designed by a structural engineer 30ft tall to top of roof with the ladder built inside the square chamber ,constructed out of protemised timber with access through a flap in the floor, stayed of to ground anchors ,supported by 6mm stainless yacht rigging.

Tensioned with eye bolts through plates.

The Roof a big six plastic coated W sheeting,

We also have built in conservation boxes to encourage barn owns to nest which keep the vole population down when endemic.

When I get chance I will take a few piccies and post them up.

I tend to keep away from metal high seats of the portable variety they seem to gain legs and walk off on their own accord as a few lads on here are aware :yahoo:

Edited by Caprelous

I bought one of the cheapo highseats,and wasn't at all happy with it as the rest was not adjustable and was not in the right place,so,I had a new top end made for it out of ally box section,here is a few pics......

Original....

DSC00116.jpg

and with new top....

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Martin

Martin that looks the business mate i have a few ally and wood home made combos very sturdy and they cost next to nowt. Most of the time soft English sit in them lazy buggers. Stu yours sound great but hey not for the faint hearted how do you manage. lol

ps was out with Andrew today and guess what he is useing a differnt Roe Sac Says yours was not up to it.

I bought one of the cheapo highseats,and wasn't at all happy with it as the rest was not adjustable and was not in the right place,so,I had a new top end made for it out of ally box section,here is a few pics......

Original....

DSC00116.jpg

and with new top....

IMG_0632.jpg

IMG_0631.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0621.jpg

Martin

Yep, I can see what you mean Martin, in the original photo it was defintiely not in the right place.....looked like it was in someones garden, I am glad you went with moving it to the woodland area instead . Good job, nice location, has it paid dividends yet.

Edited by dave1372

All mine are warren girder designed by a structural engineer 30ft tall to top of roof with the ladder built inside the square chamber ,constructed out of protemised timber with access through a flap in the floor, stayed of to ground anchors ,supported by 6mm stainless yacht rigging.

Tensioned with eye bolts through plates.

The Roof a big six plastic coated W sheeting,

We also have built in conservation boxes to encourage barn owns to nest which keep the vole population down when endemic.

When I get chance I will take a few piccies and post them up.

I tend to keep away from metal high seats of the portable variety they seem to gain legs and walk off on their own accord as a few lads on here are aware :yahoo:

Stu

Look forward to seeing pics of your high towers. They sound the business.

I believe that with the various H&S regs regarding the use of ladders and working at height and the ever tightening of the insurers compliance criteria. Will mean that the use of high seats will get slowly get phased out. Even those used by recreational stalkers will be, as the vast majority are used on some else's land and land owners have a legal liability. Necessitating even more training and competency testing for everyone that would want to use one as well as the need for annual inspections and perhaps certificated testing of the high seats

High towers are the way to go! But only properly built and erected high towers such as yours, Not the accidents waiting to happen that have been posted up on various forum over the years made from scrap timber and pallets etc. :11:

Portable metal highseats especially the Alli versions are very handy. Just don't leave them in situ and be very particular who you lend them too.. You might find they disappear otherwise.

I thought I had a few piccies in my photo bucket achive but must have deleted them, I will take some piccies next time I am up which wont be for a few weeks, This fuel price job is making me cut back a little on my outings up their.

With not having any portable high seats lending them out dosen't effect me, but I know a chap on here who lent one to another chap on here, and when he asked for it back he claims that he never lent it to him and its caused a lot of ill feeling and ended up in court. and also claimed it got stolen,

Poor chaps now out of pocket with trying to get renumerated for his loss .

Edited by Caprelous
  • Like 1

Never been a fan of the cheapo chinese/idian manufactured highseats. They never have a decent support rail and some designs side supports leave a lot to be desired. They also rot out pretty quickly. There was a interesting thread on another forum about their short life span.

They might be ok for a quick cheap solution to a particular problem but I'd not want to be using one on a regular basis or after its been around for a while. I suppose even highseats get caught up in our modern throw away society..

I thought I had a few piccies in my photo bucket achive but must have deleted them, I will take some piccies next time I am up which wont be for a few weeks, This fuel price job is making me cut back a little on my outings up their.

With not having any portable high seats lending them out dosen't effect me, but I know a chap on here who lent one to another chap on here, and when he asked for it back he claims that he never lent it to him and its caused a lot of ill feeling and ended up in court. and also claimed it got stolen,

Poor chaps now out of pocket with trying to get renumerated for his loss .

Increasing costs both open and hidden are affecting everyone mate. I see the CBI are saying the UK faces 7 more years of recession. They also believe the greatest threat to the UK's economy is the increasing European debt crisis.

Like I said be wary to whom you lend any high seat. If the party in question has won his claim and the other party fails to comply with the court order, he can hand the case back to the courts and let the courts bailiffs deal with collecting what he's owed including any incurred additional costs. Plus the bailiffs considerable cost of course. :laugh: Presumably the debtor has assets either personal or business which the bailiffs can cease. Firearms make for good ceased property as do motor vehicles, PC's and laptops.

Can't be pleasant having the bailiffs at the door of the family home at 6.30 of a morning.

Your right lads never put a high seats up on some one elses ground that you cant look after or cant afford to pick it up .Only a foo

l would do that but then again there is one born every day and old scrouge was not thinking clear when he thought every one would run about after him .That is a trate of the english.

Edited by wireviz

Davie

There are always at least two versions to every story. Thats why such matters often end up before the courts in order for them to decide in an unbiased manner which version is nearest the actual truth. Just as they have done in this particular incidence.

You appear to be very familiar with at least one version of the story. However it doesn't seem to be the one the court deemed to be worthy of consideration.

I have never given much credence to embittered examples of so called national behavioural traits. In fact I find them rather idiotic. If they were true we would have to brand all Scots as priggish, boorish, tight wads, with the intellectual capacity of a spoiled seed potato, and the ethics of pond scum. Now see how ridiculous would that be?

No offence intended or implied of course. I use the description simply as a mean of example.vis a vis the ridiculousness of claimed national behavioural traits.

Edited by Greek Phil
  • Like 1

You see Christian the truth and what you want the truth to be are some times fogged by your desire for the truth to suit your own prejudices. Now it dose not matter a dot what you think the truth of the matter is what matters is that the courts see through the ignorance of a English man who thinks he can blame others for his own failing. Greed

You see Christian the truth and what you want the truth to be are some times fogged by your desire for the truth to suit your own prejudices. Now it dose not matter a dot what you think the truth of the matter is what matters is that the courts see through the ignorance of a English man who thinks he can blame others for his own failing. Greed

Davie

First Harry now Christian.I expect we'll soon have Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub along soon. :search:

In regards this unfortunate matter of which you seem rather well versed. It is of no concern or consideration what my desire or prejudices want in regards to the truth that's a matter for the court to decide. Which if the preceding posts have been correct they have already decided. In the eyes of the court the truth is as they find. That's all that matters. I agree greed appears to be very much at work. But I perhaps don't see it from the same prospective as some.

TBH I'm not particularly interested in this dung splattered saga. Worst things happen at sea and the miscreant /s usually go down with the ship. Lets just hope this one sinks out of sight tout de suite .