thanks for your ideas ive tried most of them a with some success, will try the eagle owl one or maybe a scarecrow

We just put a debris mesh roof on our pens stops all raptors !! Bit of cost but worth it

Unrealistic on any decent pen. Licenses to control them at peak times is the only way.

What do you consider a 'decent' pen? Im not being funny, I genuinely believe netting is very effective. Doesnt do shit for the birds outside the pen mind.

A decent pen is a large pen with substantial trees in it for birds to roost which in turn makes it immpossible to put any kind of netting over. I understand if we are talking 100 birds here but on larger shoots pens can be massive in size. I think Danw of here has a pen which is about an acre...........imagine trying to net that.....

I've netted an acre pen round loads of trees...... just cut net, run round trunk and join the other side using wire, baling twine, whatever....... very effective but each to their own

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anything by 'The Eagles'....       I'll get my coat

Am pleased that you agree that we should be able to deal with the problem   seems strange to me that licences are readily available to shoot cormorants a bird with far less numbers than buzzards yet

thanks for your ideas ive tried most of them a with some success, will try the eagle owl one or maybe a scarecrow

We just put a debris mesh roof on our pens stops all raptors !! Bit of cost but worth it

Unrealistic on any decent pen. Licenses to control them at peak times is the only way.

What do you consider a 'decent' pen? Im not being funny, I genuinely believe netting is very effective. Doesnt do shit for the birds outside the pen mind.

A decent pen is a large pen with substantial trees in it for birds to roost which in turn makes it immpossible to put any kind of netting over. I understand if we are talking 100 birds here but on larger shoots pens can be massive in size. I think Danw of here has a pen which is about an acre...........imagine trying to net that.....

I've netted an acre pen round loads of trees...... just cut net, run round trunk and join the other side using wire, baling twine, whatever....... very effective but each to their own

and how long did that last? Not long i'd bet and was very expensive!

If you net round all the trees where do the birds roost?

On a personal note I can't stand any supposed keeper who ties anything around trees and the number of times I see lazy arsed keepers use trees as convenient posts for their pen wire disgusts me

Edited by danw

and how long did that last? Not long i'd bet and was very expensive!

Well, its been up nearly 3 yrs now and still going strong, cost........ I reckon about £200 - £300. Less than the cost of 100 poults

On a personal note I can't stand any supposed keeper who ties anything around trees and the number of times I see lazy arsed keepers use trees as convenient posts for their pen wire disgusts me

Have erected perches on and inbetween trees for birds to roost in, its worked well so far. Suggest you take a visit to a game farm, you wont see many roosting facilities there.

On a personal note I cant stand people who make snap judgements and comments that have no bearing on the original post! Never said I was a keeper (I'm not) and am certainly NOT lazy arsed as I work 60hrs a week and look after our syndicate shoot in my "spare" time. Dont use trees as posts either so keep your negative comments to yourself

Have erected perches on and inbetween trees for birds to roost in, its worked well so far. Suggest you take a visit to a game farm, you wont see many roosting facilities there.

On a personal note I cant stand people who make snap judgements and comments that have no bearing on the original post! Never said I was a keeper (I'm not) and am certainly NOT lazy arsed as I work 60hrs a week and look after our syndicate shoot in my "spare" time. Dont use trees as posts either so keep your negative comments to yourself

First you suggested that you netted round the trees with wire/baler twine if you don't attach it to the tree just how do you keep the net suspended second the comment on keepers using tree's as posts was not directed at you merely a statement that some lazy keepers use that method.thirdly I suggest you visit a proper shoot and look at a pen and how the birds use and how the birds are taught to use the environment to the keepers advantage then you just might see how the idea of netting a pen is laughable.

So do you take it down once the birds get bigger? Just wondered because i would have thought you would have trouble with snow bursting it if you didnt. I dont really get your statement about the game farm birds not roosting either. They learn to roost to get away from predators when they are realesed into the wild, on the game farm they approx there for 6/7 weeks and are under nets till they leave.

easy mate danw and lab are secret lovers as we hit a raw nerve when i put a thread on about keepers shooting buzzards.then i mentioned netting to help prevent it then they tried sarky comments but the way dan is he must have the biggest in everything.xxxxxxx

easy mate danw and lab are secret lovers as we hit a raw nerve when i put a thread on about keepers shooting buzzards.then i mentioned netting to help prevent it then they tried sarky comments but the way dan is he must have the biggest in everything.xxxxxxx

What was 'sarky' about it. Your trying to say that netting a decent size pen is the way forward when thats clearly bollocks, now toodle along and dont be f*****g silly!!!

What was 'sarky' about it. Your trying to say that netting a decent size pen is the way forward when thats clearly bollocks, now toodle along and dont be f*****g silly!!!

yeah, am bowing out of this one cos clearly my opinion is worth jack shit & I just cant be arsed with it, cheers lads ;)

there you go lab, you and your boyfriend spoiling peoples opinions AGAIN.

there you go lab, you and your boyfriend spoiling peoples opinions AGAIN.

Just tell me when there wrong then............. :thumbs:

What about using ropes with reflective strips going to the tree tops where the birds won't perch and out to the fence line? Similar to netting but more open and cheaper. This is the same idea but using banners.

http://www.vancouver...6226/story.html

It all helps. CD's, flashing lights, scarecrows, balloons but they soon get used to it. Once the birds start leaving the pen they get hammered too. I honestly cant see where you can net a pen with fully grown trees?

I just dont see how netting a large pen can be practical? What size are the trees?

How do you decide how high the net will be? and then do you have to cut off all the branches underneath it?

How do the birds get in and out to learn the area? What happens when you lift the wire,do they roost above the net or go somewhere else to roost?

A small pen maybe and then trickle them out a few at a time.

Any chance of a picture to let us see what you mean? I am having trouble getting my head round netting a release pen of any decent size.