• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anything by 'The Eagles'....       I'll get my coat

Am pleased that you agree that we should be able to deal with the problem   seems strange to me that licences are readily available to shoot cormorants a bird with far less numbers than buzzards yet

Shoot a few rabbits and throw them out around the outside of the pen is another that people have tried.

But apart from actualy being there and regular patrols there is not much LEGALY you can do.

Plenty of cover ,regular visits,rabbits,CD,s.

I have had them sooo full of meat that they couldnt fly out on their own!!!

I did help them on their way of course being being concerned for their welfare and all that.

The next problem of course is when the birds start leaving the pen and wandering about!

Your in the same boat as the rest of us when it comes to this SERIOUS PROBLEM!!

(some amongst us dont think its a problem???)

Good Luck

Hi we have just put our birds in the pen and as usual there are buzzards about, does anyone know of a legal way of dettering them ?

You could always apply for a control license from Defra. :hunter: Let us know how you get on.

Add spruce tops in tepees to your rides and clear spaces in the pen.

Get yourself a couple of those scary men pigeon scares. Move them around each day.

Remove anything that remotely looks like a good sitty tree in and around the pen. Use the brash to create dead hedge cover strips.

Hang up some rope bangers in their preferred haunts. I like to put them up as high in the branches as possible.

Get yourself an eagle owl and give it regular trips out around your woods. 8)

Regular visits that keep them unsettled and disturbed especially first and last thing.

If your poults are wing clipped stretch some fencing wire off the top of the posts and hang some feed sack flags from the wires inside the pen. You'll need to take this down after 7-10 but it keeps them safe when they are at their most vulnerable.

Supplement feed them by going rabbit lamping and leave the carcasses out.

I use every trick in the book and still loose a few to the little darlings. :angry2:

Your in the same boat as the rest of us when it comes to this SERIOUS PROBLEM!!

(some amongst us dont think its a problem???)

There's no one from my side of the street that doesn't thing its a serious problem.

But then none of them are paid up members of the RSBP either.

I was at a party last week and when we went back to the hall to tidy up the day after there was 4 of those big gas filled gold coloured balloons very reflective and being a tight fisted git i thought i would recycle them by reusing them as buzzard deterers and ive got cds on strings over parts of the pen but the ballooons are working great so far .

I watched the buggers yesterday as they flew into the wood to land on a particular tree ,the second they saw the ballons they were gone ,was it their reflection or purely because it was something new in the area i dont know but so far so good.

I will keep a close eye on their efectiveness ,who knows it could be a wee side line for the war department .

Hoolit

It could be they are not comfortable with the thought of gate crashing someones party. :rolleyes:

I suspect its a combination of movement, shine and being an unfamiliar object that makes them work. I'll have to give them a try myself. We have some heli balloons left over from the pigeon scarer's.

as regads to buzzards get a feed sack cut it in half and with a black marker pen draw a big pair of eyes on it and place them on sides of your pen faceing out ...alrite till the poults are geting out and about ...then all u can really do is try baiting up away from your areas where the poults are...

they are a real pain when realeaseing partridge ...

Just wee update on the balloons they seem to work ok ,i had to replace them on wednesday ,i got a couple of plain white ones and painted big eyes on them so far so good.

i spent a bit time last night watching a couple of buzzards soaring up and down a wood where i have a pen and on seeing the ballooons there is a definate effect ,they dart away from the pen old tam says its because the face on them looks like me .

Keep smiling

thanks for your ideas ive tried most of them a with some success, will try the eagle owl one or maybe a scarecrow

We just put a debris mesh roof on our pens stops all raptors !! Bit of cost but worth it

Unrealistic on any decent pen. Licenses to control them at peak times is the only way.