Anyone else noticed how there's quite a few people on this site who talk about people who just hunt rabbits as if they're not proper hunters? (usually also members of the anti whippet brigade). I find it quite bizarre to be honest, if you've not got scared up bull crosses then you're not a hunter. And god forbid you use a terrier for bushing rabbits, it's such an outrageous concept....you might aswell carry it around in a handbag whilst wearing a leotard and singing YMCA!

I guess if a dog doesn't make you look hard infront of your chavvy mates then it's probably not worth having though :no:

• Like 3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Anyone else noticed how there's quite a few people on this site who talk about people who just hunt rabbits as if they're not proper hunters? (usually also members of the anti whippet brigade). I fin

A good rabbiting dog is a well trained hunting companion. Those that knock it are too slow between the ears to train a decent rabbiting dog and so knock those that do. Anybody can get a dog to chase a

Perhaps cooked them wrong?   Honestly though, hunting rabbits is a skillful hunting genre in its own right and deserves full credit IMHO.   In a similar vein, when I finally went all FAC and got

Posted Images

each to there own as long as your happy with your dogs who cares what other folk think or say

No, I don't particularly, I just find it a strange attitude to look down on other people who hunt with dogs....you'd think people who hunt with dogs would stick together a bit more really wouldn't you.

A good rabbiting dog is a well trained hunting companion. Those that knock it are too slow between the ears to train a decent rabbiting dog and so knock those that do. Anybody can get a dog to chase and catch the odd rabbit, its a different ball game training a dog to deserve the title of a true rabbiting dog imo. How many of the lads that knock the rabbiting men have trained a running dog to work the lamp properly, work with ferrets, nets, bush as part of small rabbit pack and retreive to the gun?

• Like 3

A good rabbiting dog is a well trained hunting companion. Those that knock it are too slow between the ears to train a decent rabbiting dog and so knock those that do. Anybody can get a dog to chase and catch the odd rabbit, its a different ball game training a dog to deserve the title of a true rabbiting dog imo. How many of the lads that knock the rabbiting men have trained a running dog to work the lamp properly, work with ferrets, nets, bush as part of small rabbit pack and retreive to the gun?

:thumbs:

I wouldn't keep any dogs if rabbits weren't on the list and there's more of most things other than rabbits around me,i personaly couldn't give a gnats shit what others think of me and my dogs as there here for me and don't have to prove feck all to anyone else.Most folks can point and aim a dog towards something in a beam,a well trained rabbiting dog(not a dog that just goes rabbiting)needs that bit more from it's owner.

• Like 1

I think the whole thing about rabbits being beneath people is down to the nuggets who have come into the dog game since the ban just to get a kick out of breaking a law. Because it's not illegal to hunt a rabbit it's not worth it to them.

You wanna try owning a bull x without scars Rob. I only hunt food i can eat (Usually) Have had the odd fox/feral cat over the years, but not something i deliberately go out to hunt. If there was a need to control the fox numbers here and i was asked i would gladly do it, but i live in a well keeper'd area so there is no need.

I often get asked "does that dog work" purely based on the fact he has no facial scars :D:doh:

What do people reckon works harder......A dog which goes out and gets say 3 fox/deer per night, or a dog which gets 30 rabbits?

each to there own as long as your happy with your dogs who cares what other folk think or say

In a nutshell :thumbs:

I`am 40yr old,so hardly a kid lol, and rabbits is pretty much my limit , despite having opportunity of fox & deer :o

And as long no ones hitting me with a big stick i dont mind what people think/say.

You wanna try owning a bull x without scars Rob. I only hunt food i can eat (Usually) Have had the odd fox/feral cat over the years, but not something i deliberately go out to hunt. If there was a need to control the fox numbers here and i was asked i would gladly do it, but i live in a well keeper'd area so there is no need.

I often get asked "does that dog work" purely based on the fact he has no facial scars :D:doh:

What do people reckon works harder......A dog which goes out and gets say 3 fox/deer per night, or a dog which gets 30 rabbits?

No don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking bull crosses, whether scared or not, nor am I knocking people who only go after foxes etc. What I'm saying is that some of these people try and take the piss out of people who only hunt rabbits, and actually try and accuse you of chasing bunnies as if it's something to be ashamed of or something :wallbash: and a lot will come out with the line "whippets are shit"....why are they shit...because they're not suited to nailing foxes and they don't look hard, but that's not what they were designed to do, they were designed to catch rabbits which they're generally very good at.

It's just ignorance I suppose, and I think Malt is right...it's almost certainly the brainless clowns that only hunt foxes because it's now illegal, pretty sad.

Neither of my dogs would make me look hardicon_eek.gif a jack russel and a beddy whip, but they make me proud when they do well on the bunnies, whether lamping ( not the jack russel before I get slaughtered), ferreting or bushing, and hopefully in time the beddy whip could be an all round rabbiting dog not just a dog I take rabbiting, we'll seethumbs.gif