Guest kaiserremy
kaiserremy titles and any sort of americam testing don't mean stuff all in the real world of pighunting, the americans have this thing with pinning medals and titles on both gundogs and hog dogs, thats fine for the states but don't mean much to us down under and is not going to help the dog catch a pig any faster or hold any cleaner.

i have alot of time for the ambull but i and alot of other guys over here have seen it's short comings, for a holding dog they are great but who wants to walk a dog on a lead in heavy bush. we hunt a little different here, and the only testing we do is on the hill.

i understand what your saying especially about the titles as ive heard alot of ppl say the same thing including americans. I also realise that onhe dog may work for one hunter but not the next!

can i ask kiwi how many dogo'd do you hunt with?

do you use bay dogs with dogo's?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tonedog

Heaps of people in australia hunt american bulldogs.

They are pretty good dogs, nothing magic, but no breed is. Including the dogo argentino.

I know a hawaiian who has hunted dogos, american bulldogs and bull arabs. He said there was no significant difference, but the bull arab suited his personal hunting style more than the others.

Kiwi, I think you generalise a little too much, you can't speak for "all of down under" and probably not even all of new zealand.

You hunt a very specific region of new zealand, mountainous scrubby country apparently.

And I've gotten the impression collie type bailers, "huntaways" and pointers or whatever are ideal for your style of hunting. That's cool and fine, but it doesn't mean this applies to all of the down underverse.

it definately doesn't.

American bulldogs have proven very usefull in many australian conditions. Pretty much no one in australia uses dogs like you do, it's obviously a very different environment with different demands.

And I've met some new zealanders who use dogs more similar to those used by australians.

I respect your hunting experience and suspect you have the right dogs for the job in your habitat, but you can't generalise and say ab's are useless for hunting or whatever.

They're not, no one in australia is leading them to bailed boars, they're finders and catchers here and they work.

With that said, they're no better than mongrel aussie pig dogs, I don't reckon dogos would be either.

jess found her voice on the hunt and is now living down the south island :angry: yes the scott or standard ambull is the hunting lines, but they don't actually do the hunting on hogs, they are walked on leads til the finders/strike dogs do there job and are released to hold the boar then, so they haven't got that natural hunting urge or no more than a normal dog at least. the dogo is taller and more mobile than the ambull, sort of like a great dane compared to a bullmastiff, and unlike the ambull the dogo does the whole job, finds bails and holds. here's jade anywayweekold026.jpg

here is my boxer, as you can see hes a smaller build to your bitch, but true to form he never stops and is a tough f**k, espescially when on the job.

posted a couple of these a while back, but ill take the camera out again soon!

mattspics016.jpg

the hounds at one of OUR duck/geese lakes - your not the only one, kiwi me old fruit!

mattspics013.jpg

and here's wellyface after a long course chasing a bunny. needless to say he didnt catch it!

mattspics020.jpg

Guest Tonedog

Yeah I would think so. Very average performance. No one gets a dogo to bark at stuff and screw around.

Looks and acts like a pup, so it must be a pup.

And in the other vid, not one of them is a pure dogo. Even in argentina they seem to use mongrel pig dogs mostly.