going to make a ferret hutch

Oh shit, I just got some osb board the guy from the wood yard, says a lot of the lads use it for kennels,and he recommended it to me as I have got it now, what's best to treat it from rotting, paint or wood preserver?

There must be some way of preserving it for outside, as in the village I stayed, a lad had a large pigeon loft made out of it, and it was there for years.

The problem is pigeons don't piss and sh*t like ferrets. You can put a thick coat of paint on the outside and lay some vinyl flooring inside to help it from getting soaked. Freecycle usually has people giving away rabbit hutches and chicken runs.

to stop the ferrets pissing and shitting in the hutch, what i do is i will have a section of the floor cut out and replace with wire mesh, they will go to the mesh do their buisness and it will fall onto the ground or whatever you put down to collect it, imo this keeps the hutch much cleaner for longer, when i'm cleaning out the hutch all i have to do is change the bedding. i hope i have explained it right.

Yes, there are a few other people on here that use that method. Sounds like a good way of going about it as long as the ferrets use it. :thumbs:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've got 2 rabbit hutches attatched at a right angle,for the jills one 4ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch underneeth those for the hobs, those are in the shed, I built shelving to put the 2 rabbit hutches on and i

Heres one i made, took some time to bend the bowed plywood but a good finish.       YIS D

Posted Images

Oh shit, I just got some osb board the guy from the wood yard, says a lot of the lads use it for kennels,and he recommended it to me as I have got it now, what's best to treat it from rotting, paint or wood preserver?

There must be some way of preserving it for outside, as in the village I stayed, a lad had a large pigeon loft made out of it, and it was there for years.

The problem is pigeons don't piss and sh*t like ferrets. You can put a thick coat of paint on the outside and lay some vinyl flooring inside to help it from getting soaked. Freecycle usually has people giving away rabbit hutches and chicken runs.

to stop the ferrets pissing and shitting in the hutch, what i do is i will have a section of the floor cut out and replace with wire mesh, they will go to the mesh do their buisness and it will fall onto the ground or whatever you put down to collect it, imo this keeps the hutch much cleaner for longer, when i'm cleaning out the hutch all i have to do is change the bedding. i hope i have explained it right.

Yes, there are a few other people on here that use that method. Sounds like a good way of going about it as long as the ferrets use it. :thumbs:

a ferret will usually go for a piss and shit at the opposite end of the hutch from there sleeping area. it's certainly worth a try if you havn't already tried it, i havn't had a ferret that hasn't used it yet, infact i have just got a 12wk old jill last sunday and she has used this right away, it certainly saves alot of hassle when cleaning out :thumbs: