FALCONRY RING PERCH

kev2560

I use a bow which has been used for centuries without troubls..maybe you should look some up.. ;)

i use both but prefer the high ring perch for a gos.they seem more settled on the higher perch :thumbs:

Edited by supersam

Fair comment if you have a badly designed one.

I've found that a ring perch is the best solution to a bird that picks at or unpicks its leash mate. A bird that picks will almost always pull the ring up onto the perch to pick, a ring perch with the tethering ring on the stem below the perch ring cant be taken up to the perch so the bird seems to loose interest almost immediately. Your right mate some bows have to be seen to be believed !

I use a bow which has been used for centuries without troubls..maybe you should look some up.. ;)

maybe you should mind your own business instead of giving smart arse comments and trying to give advice where its not needed or asked for

I've found that a ring perch is the best solution to a bird that picks at or unpicks its leash mate. A bird that picks will almost always pull the ring up onto the perch to pick, a ring perch with the tethering ring on the stem below the perch ring cant be taken up to the perch so the bird seems to loose interest almost immediately. Your right mate some bows have to be seen to be believed !

Fair comment yet again.. :thumbs: ..but then again i dont have a problem with unpicking as i tie 5 tight knot's and im yet to see this current bird get past the 3rd knot..and that is when he has spent several constant day's on the bow dropping his weight after being pulled from the aviary.

I have never and will never use a high perch (my own preferance by the way) so i will never know the answer to this personaly but..is it not uncomfortable for a hawk on a high perch when it want's to sit one leg with full weight of the leash and ring hanging on it's leg.?..and when at there most nervous after being manned up could they not gain quite a bit of speed and go round the high perch like a helicopter rotar and slam hard into the floor..these are genuine question's by the way..cheer's.

on the high ring perch i use its a light but strong plastc ring and the hawk has no problems sitting on one leg and my hawk is only a small 50/50 german finnish male.

also i find when he does bate and goes around like a helicopter that he lands qute soft on the ground.

iv had problems putting a gos on a bow perch just out of the aviary as when it bated forwards he rowed with his wings on the ground and damgaed his primiares.he was an imprint hawk too and after a day or 2 he was fine on the bow.

i do find that my p/r hawk prefers the higher perch and at the extra height compared to the bow he feels more comfortable.

Fair comment yet again.. :thumbs: ..but then again i dont have a problem with unpicking as i tie 5 tight knot's and im yet to see this current bird get past the 3rd knot..and that is when he has spent several constant day's on the bow dropping his weight after being pulled from the aviary.

I have never and will never use a high perch (my own preferance by the way) so i will never know the answer to this personaly but..is it not uncomfortable for a hawk on a high perch when it want's to sit one leg with full weight of the leash and ring hanging on it's leg.?..and when at there most nervous after being manned up could they not gain quite a bit of speed and go round the high perch like a helicopter rotar and slam hard into the floor..these are genuine question's by the way..cheer's.

I only use a low ring perch for leash pickers mate, ain't got time to tie 5 knots, 2 is my limit,and even if they can't untie the knots they still wreck a leash a day ! so the ring the perch has been my most successful solution. I do prefer to use a bow where I can though.

I only use a low ring perch for leash pickers mate, ain't got time to tie 5 knots, 2 is my limit,and even if they can't untie the knots they still wreck a leash a day ! so the ring the perch has been my most successful solution. I do prefer to use a bow where I can though.

Cheer's for the info.. :thumbs: .

Cheer's for the info.. :thumbs: .

why not use a loop leash?

that way ya dont have to worry about your hawk undoing knots :thumbs:

i mean in general.

a friend of mine,s hawk undone 4 falconary knots and was away.

he thought it had been stolen as he didnt think a hawk would be able to undo 4 knots but it did.

he was very lucky to get the hawk back as a local shooter shot down a pheasant and hs hawk came down on top of it.

was lucky his hawk didnt get hung up.

with the loop leash there is no way the hawk can undo the leash :thumbs: