How much of a problem do stoats cause you

Usually if someone want's you on their land to control rabbits they want them killed, not sustained for someone else's pleasure..

True....but the same can be said about foxes and we all know people do exactly that......... :yes:

That don't always make it right Lab. :no: I've been on permissions where killing foxes would see you thrown off the land. I'm sure you're aware of the damage a large population of rabbits can do to arable land? :thumbs:

I sure am mate.....lets say someone gets a bit of permission for rabbits....he loves doing so but has noticed that alot of his sport is getting bumped of by stoats.....would that be now acceptable for him to kill a few?..... :thumbs:

This is a similar thing as the BOP threads.......atleast its legal to do so with a stoat..... :yes:

Just looking at others point of view here mate thats all....... :thumbs:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't really want to write a long winded response as i have a smoke and beer with my name on it outside.   But for me it's to do with the population densitys and reproduction / expansion rate of cer

Aye you see stoats are one of those borderline animals.   Whilst, you, running a game farm, may (in my eyes) be excused for whacking them, as they present a real threat to you.   If i, when walkin

so would it be wrong for me to try and kill the stoats on my permission because every time i go theres more dead rabbits due to the stoats and i can pretty much garuntee i see a stoat every time i go

You sure it's the stoats killing them mate? Just curious, how are you finding the bodies?

i am findind the rabbits with big holes it the back of thier necks and have also seen the stoats killing them when i see them i let them go about thier bisuness but its getting bad now the amount of rabbits i am finding the land owner has seen them too and gave me permission to controll them i dont want to totally destroy them because lets face its nice to sit and watch them hunting i just want to get the numbers down so i cant still do my part in the winter

Usually if someone want's you on their land to control rabbits they want them killed, not sustained for someone else's pleasure..

True....but the same can be said about foxes and we all know people do exactly that......... :yes:

That don't always make it right Lab. :no: I've been on permissions where killing foxes would see you thrown off the land. I'm sure you're aware of the damage a large population of rabbits can do to arable land? :thumbs:

I sure am mate.....lets say someone gets a bit of permission for rabbits....he loves doing so but has noticed that alot of his sport is getting bumped of by stoats.....would that be now acceptable for him to kill a few?..... :thumbs:

This is a similar thing as the BOP threads.......atleast its legal to do so with a stoat..... :yes:

I can see exactly where you're coming from Lab, but at the end of the day the landowners wishes & needs take priority over the sportsman's, especially where the chosen quarry is problematic vermin.

Don't see the similarities with the BOP threads though pal. I'm all for control where control is needed, irrespective of species or emotional attachments to them.. :thumbs:

I can see exactly where you're coming from Lab, but at the end of the day the landowners wishes & needs take priority over the sportsman's, especially where the chosen quarry is problematic vermin.

Don't see the similarities with the BOP threads though pal. I'm all for control where control is needed, irrespective of species or emotional attachments to them.. :thumbs:

The similarities mate are that when someone takes a liking to a certain animal/bird then they automatically think that killing it is a crime and never look at the problems others might face because of them. I'm not saying you are 1 of these people as you have already stated you know when control is needed. I will add running about the country shooting anything that moves is wrong in my eyes too........i think theres a fine line between control and slaughter and it comes down to the individual involved..... :thumbs:

Most people underestimate stoats. They dont cause as much trouble with released game as they do with wild birds. But with wild birds they are a major problem to gamekeepers, especially on grouse moors. When theres a shortage of ground nesting birds then they will generally take more rabbits but on the fell ground where nearly everything nests on the ground they will mop up chicks like no tommorow. A litter of young stoats will easily kill 50 chicks between them before they start moving out into there own territories.

Alot of grouse moors that arent producing many grouse tend to blame it on all sorts of reasons but they also seem to be the moors that claim that stoats dont cause much bother.

That said, i do admire them for their hunting skills. Any animal that small that can take down something 4 or 5 times the size of it is pretty impressive.

Most people underestimate stoats. They dont cause as much trouble with released game as they do with wild birds. But with wild birds they are a major problem to gamekeepers, especially on grouse moors. When theres a shortage of ground nesting birds then they will generally take more rabbits but on the fell ground where nearly everything nests on the ground they will mop up chicks like no tommorow. A litter of young stoats will easily kill 50 chicks between them before they start moving out into there own territories.

Alot of grouse moors that arent producing many grouse tend to blame it on all sorts of reasons but they also seem to be the moors that claim that stoats dont cause much bother.

That said, i do admire them for their hunting skills. Any animal that small that can take down something 4 or 5 times the size of it is pretty impressive.

That explains a lot for me, the land i shoot on is completely surrounded by grouse moor ! The stoat poulation there is also very healthy, i saw 3 the last time i was out, no wonder the local keepers aren't very fond of them !

Cheers for all the replies folks, been very interesting reading !

:thumbs: