How much of a problem do stoats cause you

We have them here and they mostly kill rabbits, if they got INTO a pen of poults you might have a problem, but that is generally your fault.

How would you stop one getting in your pen without killing it then mate?

I know what you are saying mate, but i meant that laying traps about the pen, in tunnels, and ensuring it's well fenced, and if needs be shooting them around the pens, is one thing.

Shooting any stoat on the shoot on sight is another.

We have them, they kill rabbits, don't ever really lose birds to them.

Fair enough mate, if you got a good reason and a healthy stoat population thats fine by me.

It's where folk hold onto the old idea that they are on the 'vermin' list and actively hunt/shoot them with no real reason other than something else to shoot.

I get what you mean now reading your first post I took it to mean that pens should be built to exclude stoats not an easy task as you can imagine :thumbs: I do trap stoats and go out of my way to kill them but we have a number of red listed ground nesting birds on the estate and with them every one counts :thumbs:

Just wondering what the differnce is to someone shooting a stoat too someone shooting say a pigeon is. A stoat would be a problem for me but a pigeon would not so really i would rather shoot a stoat than a pigeon for finacial reasons...... :thumbs:

should think the difference is that some use the excuse of vermin to hide their sport rather than duty :thumbs:

So you cant shoot unless you are doing it for a job, food or cleaning up vermin..............is shooting to some people not just a sport then..... :hmm:

Yes mate, but shooting an animal like a stoat for sport is wrong imo.

I never undersatnd the rule book.............. :icon_eek:

Don't really want to write a long winded response as i have a smoke and beer with my name on it outside.

But for me it's to do with the population densitys and reproduction / expansion rate of certain animals vs others (i.e predetors vs prey).

Hunting for sport usually means a far greater number of kills than hunting for neccessity (forget hunting for money for the sec), so rather than removeing your problem stoat or stoats from an area, a sport hunter will keep pursuing said quarry / vermin until they all run out, which is achieved far quicker an easier than with other animals.

I also just don't get 'just killing' something for 'sport', i.e no reason at all other than that, as opposed to enjoying the sport of killing something with a reason.

You get me?

• Like 1

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't really want to write a long winded response as i have a smoke and beer with my name on it outside.   But for me it's to do with the population densitys and reproduction / expansion rate of cer

Aye you see stoats are one of those borderline animals.   Whilst, you, running a game farm, may (in my eyes) be excused for whacking them, as they present a real threat to you.   If i, when walkin

We have them here and they mostly kill rabbits, if they got INTO a pen of poults you might have a problem, but that is generally your fault.

I know what you are saying mate, but i meant that laying traps about the pen, in tunnels, and ensuring it's well fenced, and if needs be shooting them around the pens, is one thing.

Fair enough mate, if you got a good reason and a healthy stoat population thats fine by me.

It's where folk hold onto the old idea that they are on the 'vermin' list and actively hunt/shoot them with no real reason other than something else to shoot.

I get what you mean now reading your first post I took it to mean that pens should be built to exclude stoats not an easy task as you can imagine :thumbs: I do trap stoats and go out of my way to kill them but we have a number of red listed ground nesting birds on the estate and with them every one counts :thumbs:

Just wondering what the differnce is to someone shooting a stoat too someone shooting say a pigeon is. A stoat would be a problem for me but a pigeon would not so really i would rather shoot a stoat than a pigeon for finacial reasons...... :thumbs:

should think the difference is that some use the excuse of vermin to hide their sport rather than duty :thumbs:

So you cant shoot unless you are doing it for a job, food or cleaning up vermin..............is shooting to some people not just a sport then..... :hmm:

I don't see killing vermin as sport I see it as work nothing more if I didn't have to kill fox,stoat whatever for work then I would have no reason to would I not unless it was for sport and then that isn't what the vermin list was intended for now was it.

Exactly the same as me mate......i dont see the fasination of lamping foxes till all hours or setting god knows how many traps and snares for stoats or foxes but that doesn't mean that others dont do that for fun. Not sure how you can say its wrong to kill one animal and then change your tune for another...... :thumbs:

Yes mate, but shooting an animal like a stoat for sport is wrong imo.

I never undersatnd the rule book.............. :icon_eek:

Don't really want to write a long winded response as i have a smoke and beer with my name on it outside.

But for me it's to do with the population densitys and reproduction / expansion rate of certain animals vs others (i.e predetors vs prey).

Hunting for sport usually means a far greater number of kills than hunting for neccessity (forget hunting for money for the sec), so rather than removeing your problem stoat or stoats from an area, a sport hunter will keep pursuing said quarry / vermin until they all run out, which is achieved far quicker an easier than with other animals.

I also just don't get 'just killing' something for 'sport', i.e no reason at all other than that, as opposed to enjoying the sport of killing something with a reason.

You get me?

So why do you kill rabbits then mate...........and its not for vermin reasons as you have already said plenty times that you dont like doing it in the summer. Surely you like ferreting and you enjoy it.....just like someone might like to walk about with a gun ... :hmm:

I don't see killing vermin as sport I see it as work nothing more if I didn't have to kill fox,stoat whatever for work then I would have no reason to would I not unless it was for sport and then that isn't what the vermin list was intended for now was it.

Exactly the same as me mate......i dont see the fasination of lamping foxes till all hours or setting god knows how many traps and snares for stoats or foxes but that doesn't mean that others dont do that for fun. Not sure how you can say its wrong to kill one animal and then change your tune for another...... :thumbs:

Far from it mate I don't care what people kill just that they do it for the right reason and not just cause it was there to kill :thumbs:

Edit. Am done for the night got a delivery of poults at 5am tomorrow so off to bed catch youse later :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Edited by danw

My point is mate, that on the land where i kill them, they are causing a problem, and hence i get to enjoy carrying out a useful role of keeping the population in check.

I also eat the rabbits (in winter it is a large part of my diet) and feed them to the 11 ferrets and 2 dogs that are here.

I don't enjoy ferreting in summer, but do it where needed (but dont make a song and dance about it).

Most of my land does not need it as i hammer the f**k out of it for 7/8 months of the year, and then keep it ticking over with the gun over summer if needed, which is rare.

There is nowt wrong with enjoying hunting something, but for me that is not reason enough a lone, hence why we don't shoot blue tits, black birds, starlings etc

Swallows would make for good sport, but as you cannot eat them and they pose no pest/vermin problem as such, then i think it would be frowned upon.

If someone asked why did you just kill x and you said, well "just for the fun of it" and that was the ONLY reason you could give. . . . . . . would that not be a bit wrong to you?

My point is mate, that on the land where i kill them, they are causing a problem, and hence i get to enjoy carrying out a useful role of keeping the population in check.

I also eat the rabbits (in winter it is a large part of my diet) and feed them to the 11 ferrets and 2 dogs that are here.

I don't enjoy ferreting in summer, but do it where needed (but dont make a song and dance about it).

Most of my land does not need it as i hammer the f**k out of it for 7/8 months of the year, and then keep it ticking over with the gun over summer if needed, which is rare.

There is nowt wrong with enjoying hunting something, but for me that is not reason enough a lone, hence why we don't shoot blue tits, black birds, starlings etc

Swallows would make for good sport, but as you cannot eat them and they pose no pest/vermin problem as such, then i think it would be frowned upon.

If someone asked why did you just kill x and you said, well "just for the fun of it" and that was the ONLY reason you could give. . . . . . . would that not be a bit wrong to you?

I get it mate.......am with you on the 'killing it because you could' thing but i dont class stoats as the same as say a blackbird or another garden bird. Maybe its because i've been brought up with the stoat as being a nuisance and should be trapped or shot when seen.......wrong in others eyes but for me more a finacial view now.... :thumbs:

Far from it mate I don't care what people kill just that they do it for the right reason and not just cause it was there to kill :thumbs:

Edit. Am done for the night got a delivery of poults at 5am tomorrow so off to bed catch youse later :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

See how much you like these stoats when they get in the pen shortly........... :laugh: . See ya mate.... :thumbs:

I get it mate.......am with you on the 'killing it because you could' thing but i dont class stoats as the same as say a blackbird or another garden bird. Maybe its because i've been brought up with the stoat as being a nuisance and should be trapped or shot when seen.......wrong in others eyes but for me more a finacial view now.... :thumbs:

Aye you see stoats are one of those borderline animals.

Whilst, you, running a game farm, may (in my eyes) be excused for whacking them, as they present a real threat to you.

If i, when walking out with the gun, saw one scampering about one of my sheep farming, or arable permissions, and shot it, just as it was another thing to shoot, i would be a twat.

I have the same view of most animals like it, kill them where killing is needed, and enjoy the sport of killing it well.

But going out and seeking them in places they cause no nuisance, just to kill them, for the sake of something to kill, and hang your head.

I been walking out with the gun last couple of days decoying and shooting some corvids, and a number of times have had the cross hairs on a bunny head, but in places where you only see the very odd one, so i've just been content to watch them and leave them be, when i could quite easily have shot a few and stuck the photos on here.

• Like 1

Totally agree with all that's been written. :yes: I personally wouldn't kill a stoat as I have no reason too, but totally respect that others may have.

I don't agree with the mentality of some who'd kill just because they could. There was a lad on here a while back (can't remember who it was.. :hmm:) posted in the trapping section about setting a few traps on his permission just because he knew that there were stoats there and it was legal to kill them. It's that type of thing I don't agree with..

so would it be wrong for me to try and kill the stoats on my permission because every time i go theres more dead rabbits due to the stoats and i can pretty much garuntee i see a stoat every time i go

so would it be wrong for me to try and kill the stoats on my permission because every time i go theres more dead rabbits due to the stoats and i can pretty much garuntee i see a stoat every time i go

You sure it's the stoats killing them mate? Just curious, how are you finding the bodies?

You sure it's the stoats killing them mate? Just curious, how are you finding the bodies?

+1 :hmm:

Also, if someone has given you permission to shoot rabbits on their land, what makes you think they'd gave you permission to kill all legal quarry? I'm second guessing here so may be wrong, but if I gave permission to somebody to come onto my land & control rabbits, I'd be pretty pissed off if they were shooting one of natures effective natural forms of rabbit control... Usually if someone want's you on their land to control rabbits they want them killed, not sustained for someone else's pleasure..

Also, if someone has given you permission to shoot rabbits on their land, what makes you think they'd gave you permission to kill all legal quarry? I'm second guessing here so may be wrong, but if I gave permission to somebody to come onto my land & control rabbits, I'd be pretty pissed off if they were shooting one of natures effective natural forms of rabbit control... Usually if someone want's you on their land to control rabbits they want them killed, not sustained for someone else's pleasure..

True....but the same can be said about foxes and we all know people do exactly that......... :yes:

Usually if someone want's you on their land to control rabbits they want them killed, not sustained for someone else's pleasure..

True....but the same can be said about foxes and we all know people do exactly that......... :yes:

That don't always make it right Lab. :no: I've been on permissions where killing foxes would see you thrown off the land. I'm sure you're aware of the damage a large population of rabbits can do to arable land? :thumbs:

That's a very fair point, it's always worth checking what you are and are not allowed to kill.

I know someone who had some VERY nice rough shooting permission for rabbits and just assumed that it was ok to shoot the Hares as well. . . . . . needles to say they lost the land.