Importing from USA

I'm off to the states in a few weeks and fancy having a look for a nice Zeiss scope.

What I'm not sure about is can I stick one or two in my case and bring them home? I ask because if you try to order anything to do with a rifle from Cabelas or BassPro shop they have a notice saying they are no longer to export rifle parts outside the USA. This I think wa following 9/11

So will I get stopped by a huge airport security guard snapping on a rubber glove....or is it OK to take these home with you?

I'm off to the states in a few weeks and fancy having a look for a nice Zeiss scope.

What I'm not sure about is can I stick one or two in my case and bring them home? I ask because if you try to order anything to do with a rifle from Cabelas or BassPro shop they have a notice saying they are no longer to export rifle parts outside the USA. This I think wa following 9/11

So will I get stopped by a huge airport security guard snapping on a rubber glove....or is it OK to take these home with you?

Think you will find that any German or Austrian optics are much more expensive in the states.

Leupold or Bushnell stuff tends to be cheaper, however Swaro or Zeiss stuff is cheaper in Europe.

I think that so long as it is a non pressure bearing part or something that makes a rifle function (like a bolt, trigger, firing pin, mhammer spring, sear, that sort of thing) you're OK. Like others have said, I'd be surprised if you find euopean glass significantly cheaper over there if at all.

Forget any European products i.e. Ziess etc, they (The USA) have hideous taxes on such things, so you can only buy Leupold or Burris top line stuff cheaper there than here,

it's only about 2/3 of the price anyway (i.e. a £1,000+ scope here would be £675'ish there).

So buy one stick it your hold baggage and stare into space in the 'green lane' at Gatwick/Heathrow and hope for the best!

Make sure you don't buy anything you shouldn't have here i.e. expanding bullet heads, slug loads etc etc as you may walk into a world of hurt here, as 'they' in USA will sell

you anything that's legal in the state your in. Anyway enjoy your trip, try renting a handgun package in a gunshop for fun, available most places, but if your in Florida try

Knight's shooting in Clearwater $60 per person will get you a 9mm Glock and 100 rounds for play!

AndyF

• 2 weeks later...

Ok i will let you know as i have ordered a scope from america. Normally the import duty on telescopic sights / scope is 4.70% of the total purchase price including shipping then plus vat at our current rate. I will let you know more when it turns up how much extra it has cost.

Ok i will let you know as i have ordered a scope from america. Normally the import duty on telescopic sights / scope is 4.70% of the total purchase price including shipping then plus vat at our current rate. I will let you know more when it turns up how much extra it has cost.

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif....should have asked the seller to mark on the customs declaration it was being sent for repairwhistling.gif, that way it would have cost you nowtdoh.gifdoh.gifdoh.gif

So following a bit of research I found a camera store in New York which is one of the places im visiting and they have a 3-9 x 50 Zeiss Conquest on offer at $424.00 which is about £260.00 :toast:

Hopefully they have one in stock, a Zeiss for the same price as a moderate scope in the UK! Rip off Britain.... :censored: