The 'Rabbit Gum' Live Trap

I answered a call from a lady wanting to get rid of a couple of rabbits she's been seeing in her garden. After visiting her, I realized it wasn't a place where I could safely use my .22. I thought it would be a good opportunity to make a couple of rabbit gums to try.

I understand that these traps are called 'gums' because sometimes they were made from hollow logs, and there is an American tree called a gum which evidently has a lot of hollow wood in it.

RabbitGum-1.jpg

RabbitGum-2.jpg

RabbitGumDiagram.jpg

I've seen versions of this trap which have slots cut into the side walls to provide a secure track for the door to slide down, and sometimes I've seen small slats of wood nailed on the side walls to provide a door track. But I figured the old-timers making traps from hollow logs probably didn't often go to the trouble of adding door tracks. I reckon it would be pretty difficult for a bunny to push the doors on my traps open even though they are only held at the top.

I am yet to catch something in the gums I made. Maybe a rabbit might go into it out of curiosity or to get shelter. But there is so much lush feed around I doubt that they will go into the trap because I've stuck carrots and carraway seed inside. Perhaps someone can suggest an irresistible bait I could try.

I left the traps in position for a week or more before I finally fitted the doors and baited them. I placed some bait outside the trap, and just inside the trap as well.

I'm grateful for all the help I've had through this forum. Best wishes from New Zealand.... Coote.