STALKING.

Guest Frank

For the past 2 months, their has been a stray Fallow buck on one of the farms i visit, to cull foxes.

The nearest fallow population from this farm is 10 odd miles away.

As he was on his own, i reckon he was kicked out of the main herd at the time of the rut, or just wonderd too far looking for the doe's.

I was asked to shoot this beast, a few times with my .223, but declined, as the mimimum caliber over here is the .22-250.

So, after giving it some thought, i, applied for a deer permit, with my .223 and explained how the .223, would be Ok ( long story :blink: ), to cull this particular buck, as the buck itself was doing extensive damage to hay bales and chasing sheep all over the place, not to mention a show down with a bull. :icon_eek:

As my 2 stalking mates were away on safari ( lucky buggers :D ), i was left to do the dirty deed.

Now, the deer seasons for bucks and does over here, has changed over the last year, so bucks end at the end of december and does at the end of Feb.

But, this particular buck, was doing untold damage, for some reason and had to be taken out, so the farmer nominated me as the stalker and i in turn applied and got a section 42, think thats what its called and got the permit threw last week. :drink:

It was not an easy stalk, as he was playing hide and seek round a blackthorn bush, but the 55 Grain, sako soft point bullet, put him down. ;)

Took an hour or so of stalking, stoping and starting, working out, to get to within 100 yds of him, but well worth it in the end. :yes:

Pic below.

P.S. The rifle was unloaded and made safe.

Frank.

Thanks Macnas. :)

He was a lovely buck, pity to shoot him in one way, as it would be nice for them to spread, but, we have to keep the old farmer happy. ;)

Fallow, it seems, along with Sika, are spreading more and more and sika interbreeding with reds, is not good news in some parts. :no:

Frank.

Thats true, I'm expecting deer to be part of my immediate environment within the next 10 years. They are in west cork, in Fermoy and in youghal. Mid cork is next.

Strange to say, the last report I read on the Killarney Red deer is that sika do not interbreed with them for some reason, whereas hybrids are a matter of course in wicklow and elsewhere, weird eh?

In other news, did you happen to read the article in this months Field about the 44 pointer shot last year on the Screebe estate? Now that is one big fecking freaky head.

The Killarney red deer are supposed to be the last of the indigenous herd, so maybe there is some small genetic difference that forestalls inter-breeding.

The Screebe red deer are originally from the UK, the windsor herd.

Good un frank.....................nice clean shot. :clapper::clapper: ..............in the boiler room????

Hows the wippet coming on bud??

Thats right Paul, heart and lungs, took a few steps and droped stone dead. :yes:

You have seen this before Paul somewhere else. :D

Thanks Macnas. The reds in Killarney are amazing beasts, love to see them. :)

Frank.