wats best ferreting dog any pic's

I was hoping this lad was going to be a good ferreting companion but I just can't brake him to ferrets I don't no why ?????

http://emob946.photobucket.com/albums/ad306/jamiem1/photo-86.jpg?t=1310414799

ha ha ha

I know where you're coming from with breaking Terriers to Ferrets, they're a nightmare.

My young Bull X however is coming along great with the ferret. I used to let the Ferret run around the garden whilst I kept the Bull X on the lead, I held the Ferret and let the dog sniff it, and now I'm at the point where I am able to leave the dog off the lead with both running around the garden. Sometimes I see him looking at the Ferret with a look of "I wonder what that tastes like" look in his eyes, but I tell him and he walks away. I'd never trust him on his own with it, but so far so good :good: .

Im working on getting my Patterdale broke to the ferrets but ive started quit late, hes 3 but very obediant.. Hes now stopped getting excited and just curious, still tries to nip their feet but hes coming on great. I've made an outside run so he will get alot more exposure to them now. Should be ok to take him out by the time my pot comes off and then let him see how to go on out in the field.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEAR READERS, REGARDING THE QUESTION ASKED ABOUT THE BEST MARKING DOGS USED WHEN FERRETING.I HAVE SEEN LOADS OVER THE YEARS. LURCHERS, TERRIERS, COLLIE X WHIPPETS, SPANIELS AND EVEN MONGREL TYPES! THE BEST I HAVE COME ACROSS AND OWNED MYSELF HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TERRIERS. THE BEST WITHOUT A DOUBT WAS A LITTLE SMOOTH -COATED RUSSEL BITCH WHICH I BRED IN 1976. A FANTASTIC DOG FOR FIND, WORKING COVER AND MARKING HOLES. HOWEVER, FINDING AND MARKING RATS,HER SPECIALTY. SHE WAS WORKED ALOT UNDER GROUND AFTER FOXES AND SO MANY OCCASIONS PROVED HER WORTH. APOLOGIES FOR DIGRESSING! IN MY OPINION I DON'T THINK THE LURCHERS WILL BE BETTER THAN A FIRST RATE TERRIER. HOWEVER, PEOPLE KEEP AND WORK SOME EXCELLENT LURCHERS AND IT WOULD BE FOOLISH TO SAY THEY WON'T MARK RABBITS UNDERGROUND. I CANNOT SEE HOW PEOPLE CAN SAY THE PATTERDALE BREED IS THE BEST FOR MARKING. WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER THAN OTHER TERRIER BREED?I HAVE SEEN SOME REALLY GOOD BORDER TERRIERS FOR MARKING. BUT I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT THE OWNER PLAYS A SOMEWHAT MAJOR ROLE IN THEIR DOGS ABILITY TO BECOME A GOOD WORKER; BUT OF COURSE SOME DOGS ARE JUST BORN NATURALS FROM THE START. ANOTHER GREAT DOG I HAD THE WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE OF SEEING MARK WAS A FRIENDS WHIPPET X GREYHOUND WHICH WOULD LOCATE A RABBIT ANYWHERE.

BEST WISHES.

DOCTOR DOLITTLE....

DEAR READERS, REGARDING THE QUESTION ASKED ABOUT THE BEST MARKING DOGS USED WHEN FERRETING.I HAVE SEEN LOADS OVER THE YEARS. LURCHERS, TERRIERS, COLLIE X WHIPPETS, SPANIELS AND EVEN MONGREL TYPES! THE BEST I HAVE COME ACROSS AND OWNED MYSELF HAVE ALWAYS BEEN TERRIERS. THE BEST WITHOUT A DOUBT WAS A LITTLE SMOOTH -COATED RUSSEL BITCH WHICH I BRED IN 1976. A FANTASTIC DOG FOR FIND, WORKING COVER AND MARKING HOLES. HOWEVER, FINDING AND MARKING RATS,HER SPECIALTY. SHE WAS WORKED ALOT UNDER GROUND AFTER FOXES AND SO MANY OCCASIONS PROVED HER WORTH. APOLOGIES FOR DIGRESSING! IN MY OPINION I DON'T THINK THE LURCHERS WILL BE BETTER THAN A FIRST RATE TERRIER. HOWEVER, PEOPLE KEEP AND WORK SOME EXCELLENT LURCHERS AND IT WOULD BE FOOLISH TO SAY THEY WON'T MARK RABBITS UNDERGROUND. I CANNOT SEE HOW PEOPLE CAN SAY THE PATTERDALE BREED IS THE BEST FOR MARKING. WHAT MAKES THEM BETTER THAN OTHER TERRIER BREED?I HAVE SEEN SOME REALLY GOOD BORDER TERRIERS FOR MARKING. BUT I'VE ALWAYS THOUGHT THE OWNER PLAYS A SOMEWHAT MAJOR ROLE IN THEIR DOGS ABILITY TO BECOME A GOOD WORKER; BUT OF COURSE SOME DOGS ARE JUST BORN NATURALS FROM THE START. ANOTHER GREAT DOG I HAD THE WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE OF SEEING MARK WAS A FRIENDS WHIPPET X GREYHOUND WHICH WOULD LOCATE A RABBIT ANYWHERE.

BEST WISHES.

DOCTOR DOLITTLE....

I think the thing that your missing is that there is A LOT more to be done by a good 'ferreting dog' than just mark rabbits to ground.

But apart from that i agree with what you are saying, a lot has to do with the individual dog and how it;s brought on, rather than specific breed.

iv had patterdale,s,russel,s,border,s and some were excellent ferreting dogs.great for marking,catching bolters as the exiting the holes and very good when ferreting heavy hedgerow,s,not only catching rabbit in the heaver cover or pushing them out for the lurchers.

happened often the terrier would catch more than the lurcher or whippet in a day but i do prefer lurchers as there just more exciting to watch chashing bolters that break free from the burrow and make a suicidal dash across the field.

i just have lurchers now..

t30-2.jpg

t32-2.jpg

t14-19.jpg

Sorry Ideation, Just replying back to the particular subject on the subject of 'Ferreting'. What's the best Ferreting dog? My mistake, as I did mean what is the best Ferreting dog not just marking dog. Ideation, you are totally correct in what you say, there are so many other qualities needed in a good Ferreting dog.What some people call good wouldn't perhaps mean the same to you and myself..... I have seen Lurchers that would mark holes all day long but if a Rabbit bolted into a purse net the dog or certain dogs would rag Rabbits in nets, which I don't think is a good situation, especially when nets get damaged 'and they often do so as you will be aware of'............

Yes, it takes so much more. Time, experience, teaching a good dog certain commands which in my opinion goes a long,long way. I am fully aware that different breeds can cause different problems, need different attitudes to training. And anyone who knows anything about this subject really understands what work goes into producing any type of working Animal. And Ideation is correct when he mentioned all dogs are individuals. Very good!

Best regards.

Doctor Dolittle.

I was hoping this lad was going to be a good ferreting companion but I just can't brake him to ferrets I don't no why ?????

ha ha ha

I know where you're coming from with breaking Terriers to Ferrets, they're a nightmare.

My young Bull X however is coming along great with the ferret. I used to let the Ferret run around the garden whilst I kept the Bull X on the lead, I held the Ferret and let the dog sniff it, and now I'm at the point where I am able to leave the dog off the lead with both running around the garden. Sometimes I see him looking at the Ferret with a look of "I wonder what that tastes like" look in his eyes, but I tell him and he walks away. I'd never trust him on his own with it, but so far so good :good: .

yep a long yet rewarding road my lurcher has a touch of ebt I think plus saluki I call him psyko

ha ha ha

yep a long yet rewarding road my lurcher has a touch of ebt I think plus saluki I call him psyko

My Lurcher is mainly Grey/Bull but his Dam was Staffy/Whippet X Bull/Grey. This is him now at 11 months old -

IMGP2527.jpg

• 1 month later...

My lab x collie is amazing at getting stuck on fences, gettin caught in nets, getting in the way of the lurcher, chasing rabbits......... But couldn't catch a cold haha

Sounds exactly like my border collie but can't leave her at home :p

She loves the outing though, it's all

About the banter and being out for me, I'd rather have a good day and get 6 than a wank day and end up with 30, if you get me